AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a lot of DVD-R UDF 2.5 AVCHD (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) disks with footage from Panasonic HDC-SD1PP high definition camera recorded using Leadtools HD Writer Ver 1.0E software. The good news: Sony BDP-S300 plays these disks no problem. The bad news: I can't figure out how to turn on the Date/Time display (to display the date and time the recordings were made).

Do any of the Blu-Ray players allow turning on the Date and Time display for AVCHD footage?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfabien /forum/post/0

My HD-A1 provides a choice for Crossover frequency but I find that 100 Hz provides better bass performance than 80 Hz because the analog LFE channel is not as performing as the digital connection. Therefore, I expect to be quite satisfied with the Panny at 100 Hz.

Hi there,

Question not related to this thread, For now I am still debating which one to get

panny or s300 my main reason of getting a blu ray is because I would like to use my 5.1 analog from my onkyo sr tx701 THX certified (no hdmi). But anyway my

question is about speakers, I am using a speakers from polk audio (5.1) they are all the same sizes I believe the model is rm6700 (the one with a nice piano finish) the dimension is about 8 1/2'' h and 3'' deep. it is now setup on 80 hz crossover with the size of my speaker should I change it 100 hz crossover? Thanks in a advance

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis52 /forum/post/0

S300 is connected to a Samsung HL-R6167W (61" 720p) via HDMI with player set to 1080i. (BTW, another advantage of the S300 is you can change resolution on the fly.)

I found that the "Standard" video setting on the S300 look best with my setup. I'm still trying to decide whether 1080i or 720p are best with this display...for now, I think 1080i may be slightly better, but they're so close that this might be my imagination.

SD DVD playback looks fine to me, better than my old Sony 75H upconverting player. (I don't have component video connected, so can't judge 480p playback via component.) The Panasonic might have had an edge in SD upconversion, but not enough to make a difference to me. Again, FOR MY SETUP, Sony clearly had the edge in BD picture quality.

5.1 analog outs are connected to a Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver. Eventually I'll get a receiver with HDMI connections, but uncompressed soundtracks on Blu-ray discs sound spectacular with my current setup.

Thanks for sharing your experience about 5.1 analog I am leaning toward buying the s300 and use analog 5.1 to connect with my Onkyo 5.1 analog (sr tx701) I might try it tonight.

Thanks

·
Registered
800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutlian /forum/post/0

Hi there,

Question not related to this thread, For now I am still debating which one to get

panny or s300 my main reason of getting a blu ray is because I would like to use my 5.1 analog from my onkyo sr tx701 THX certified (no hdmi). But anyway my

question is about speakers, I am using a speakers from polk audio (5.1) they are all the same sizes I believe the model is rm6700 (the one with a nice piano finish) the dimension is about 8 1/2'' h and 3'' deep. it is now setup on 80 hz crossover with the size of my speaker should I change it 100 hz crossover? Thanks in a advance

Your 80 Hz Crossover in your a/v is the average bass setting for most. But that applies to processing of audio by your a/v receiver. The 100 Hz setting discussed earlier is for multichannel analogs and the supporting argument is that bass output has less volume (about -10 dB) with analog channels than with a SPDIF connection.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfabien /forum/post/0

Your 80 Hz Crossover in your a/v is the average bass setting for most. But that applies to processing of audio by your a/v receiver. The 100 Hz setting discussed earlier is for multichannel analogs and the supporting argument is that bass output has less volume (about -10 dB) with analog channels than with a SPDIF connection.

I see thanks for clarification, I will check that when I get the s300 which I plan to connect with 5.1 analog.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Today I picked up the last Panny BD10A from a nearby BB. The PQ out of the box was a bit soft/dark for my Pio plasma. I tweaked the contrast(+2), brightness(+1), and gamma(+1) and it equaled the S300 in PQ. Since my plasma only supports 1080p @ 24fps the BD10A did not allow 1080p output (as you know it only does 1080p/60). But at 1080i and my tweaks the PQ looked just as stunning as the S300.

Next I upgraded the f/w to v2.2 for the new audio codecs. WOW!!! Listening to Ghost Rider in TrueHD blew the Sony away. The clarity, fullness, and impact of the audio was astonishing. The only negatives of the Panny are the remote and the on-screen displays. Other than that, its worth the swap.

Now that I tested the Sammy P1200, Sony S300, and the Panny BD10A I can be satisfied with my BD setup until next year. If you haven't tried the BD10A then you must. Make you own decisions based on what works best, but don't overlook the Panny.

·
Banned
4,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata /forum/post/0

It seems that the only real advantage of keeping the Sony is the 24 fps future-proofing.

The only thing "future proof" about any of these players is that you will have to buy another one in the future if you want to have/do everything players can do.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim GoodBooty /forum/post/0

The only thing "future proof" about any of these players is that you will have to buy another one in the future if you want to have/do everything players can do.

Well put Slim. I was so reluctant to think of giving up 1080p/24. Now that I got the Panny I have no regrets. The "future" will always be ahead of us.

·
Banned
4,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss /forum/post/0

Well put Slim. I was so reluctant to think of giving up 1080p/24. Now that I got the Panny I have no regrets. The "future" will always be ahead of us.

How is the Panny better to you?

·
Registered
218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss /forum/post/0

Today I picked up the last Panny BD10A from a nearby BB. The PQ out of the box was a bit soft/dark for my Pio plasma. I tweaked the contrast(+2), brightness(+1), and gamma(+1) and it equaled the S300 in PQ. Since my plasma only supports 1080p @ 24fps the BD10A did not allow 1080p output (as you know it only does 1080p/60). But at 1080i and my tweaks the PQ looked just as stunning as the S300.

Next I upgraded the f/w to v2.2 for the new audio codecs. WOW!!! Listening to Ghost Rider in TrueHD blew the Sony away. The clarity, fullness, and impact of the audio was astonishing. The only negatives of the Panny are the remote and the on-screen displays. Other than that, its worth the swap.

Now that I tested the Sammy P1200, Sony S300, and the Panny BD10A I can be satisfied with my BD setup until next year. If you haven't tried the BD10A then you must. Make you own decisions based on what works best, but don't overlook the Panny.

Does your Panny remote has a zoom button/function on it?

For movies that have the balck bars I rather not mess with the aspect/zoom button on the TV. Unfortunately my PS3 and I believe all Sony BD players do not have the zoom button.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I purchased the Panny for it's superior audio availability via it's 7.1 analog outs. I was told by several very knowledgable A/V "nuts" that the picture quality was also stellar. They were right. Finally, based on talking to many users and reading reviews, the Panny 10 appeared to be the most bug free of the first generation players, and the 10a is the 10 with firmware upgrades pre-installed.

I have a 92" screen with the JVC-RS1. The RS1 accepts a 1080P/24 input. So far I have viewed 5 or 6 BD discs and have not seen the need for the 1080P/24 signal. Its output at 1080P/60 is simply outstanding. Color, sharpness, contrast etc. were all great out-of-the-box. As far as speed, it loads and reads the disc very quickly. As far a SD upconversion, I would put it at the same level as the Sony 75H (had a loaner). Not the best but not too shabby either.

In the end, I just couldn't assume that Samsung or Sony would ever come out with firmware updates to handle additional audio formats. That added to the Panny's outstanding video output, made my buying decision easy. Oh and yes, I did see the Sony S300 in action on a 61" Samsung (not quite a fair comparison) and it looked great also - just not any better than the Panny in my humble opinion.

Regards.

Dom

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahid /forum/post/0

Does your Panny remote has a zoom button/function on it?

For movies that have the balck bars I rather not mess with the aspect/zoom button on the TV. Unfortunately my PS3 and I believe all Sony BD players do not have the zoom button.

No zoom on button on the Panny. Zoom is only functional w/stills (via sub-menu button). My old Panny S52 upconvert has it and it automatically removes the letterbox with the correct aspect ratio. I know of no BD player that can change/zoom the aspect ratio. In fact there's a flag on the BD disc that prevents this, if set by the movie studio. You can only use the TV for zoom.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomNY /forum/post/0

I purchased the Panny for it's superior audio availability via it's 7.1 analog outs. I was told by several very knowledgable A/V "nuts" that the picture quality was also stellar. They were right. Finally, based on talking to many users and reading reviews, the Panny 10 appeared to be the most bug free of the first generation players, and the 10a is the 10 with firmware upgrades pre-installed.

I have a 92" screen with the JVC-RS1. The RS1 accepts a 1080P/24 input. So far I have viewed 5 or 6 BD discs and have not seen the need for the 1080P/24 signal. Its output at 1080P/60 is simply outstanding. Color, sharpness, contrast etc. were all great out-of-the-box. As far as speed, it loads and reads the disc very quickly. As far a SD upconversion, I would put it at the same level as the Sony 75H (had a loaner). Not the best but not too shabby either.

In the end, I just couldn't assume that Samsung or Sony would ever come out with firmware updates to handle additional audio formats. That added to the Panny's outstanding video output, made my buying decision easy. Oh and yes, I did see the Sony S300 in action on a 61" Samsung (not quite a fair comparison) and it looked great also - just not any better than the Panny in my humble opinion.

Regards.

Dom

I agree Dom. See my post a page back regarding the S300 vs BD10A. Since Ican't get 1080p/24 from the Panny, 1080i with a slight tweak for contrast, brightness, and gamma its equal to the S300.

I don't think Sony will ever release DTS-HD decoding (master or HR) on the S300. TrueHD will be out in a few months. But the BD10A has it all now - plus 5 free movies in the box. Couple that with the 5 movie rebate and its a great way to start a BD library.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomNY /forum/post/0

based on talking to many users and reading reviews, the Panny 10 appeared to be the most bug free of the first generation players, and the 10a is the 10 with firmware upgrades pre-installed.

Easily the most glitch-free of 1st gen players of EITHER format.

Quote:

Agree on upconversion...it's good, but I prefer my Oppo for DVDs.

BTW, I am looking strongly at a 92" with the JVC-RS1...I'm jealous, dude.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I will pick up my panny tomorrow at BB. It arrived tonite but I promised the wifey a dinner out. I'M sure I will be happy. Stand by cause 3-D and Smell-O-Vision are just a short time away!!!

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINIGUY /forum/post/0

I will pick up my panny tomorrow at BB. It arrived tonite but I promised the wifey a dinner out. I'M sure I will be happy. Stand by cause 3-D and Smell-O-Vision are just a short time away!!!

Martiniguy. I hope you still have the BDP-300 to do a nice A/B comparison. I'm still waiting for my Panny to arrive -- probably Monday or Tuesday. I wonder if anybody else is using the BDP-300 with component video out (480p for SD DVD). I had a friend over this evening and he hadn't seen any of the HD stuff and was curious as to how regular DVDs would look. So, I stuck Star Wars III into the Sony and wow. Again, using component analog out, I could swear that this movie did not look as good on the HD-XA2 which has the Reon chip. tomorrow, I'll have to do a more rigorous evaluation between the Sony and the Toshiba with 2 discs so that I can go back and forth. After watching the beginning battle sequence in SW III we watched the HD DVD version of "Letters from Iwo Jima" on the HD-XA2 and the video experience was anti-climatic (great movie by the way).

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Miata,

I just returned my S300 for the BD10A. I'm connected HDMI to an Onkyo 805 avr then to a Pio plasma. What comparision info are you looking for?

- better onscreen graphics on the S300

- TrueHD & DTS-HD decoding on the BD10A

- load times about equal

- 1080p/24 output on S300

- 7.1 analog outs w/better speaker management on the BD10A

- better remote on the S300 (video button)

- more video outut tweaks on BD10A (contrast,brightness,gamma,etc.)

My only delima now is the announcement of the Sammy P2400. The latest info says it will output TrueHD and DTS-HD bitstream via HDMI 1.3, does 1080p/24, and has the HQV processor. Same price as the BD10A and due out in October. Do I return the BD10A and go without a player until then????? I am so conflicted now!!!

21 - 40 of 93 Posts