AVS Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Miata, I still am very happy with my Panny but I have all full range speakers (klipsh legands and a DefTech 18" SW). But I took someones advice and picked up the Philps switcher for the analogs and it worksperfect in my setup.It is model ph61148. They also had a auto switcher and it did not work. The cost is 20.00, hope you can use it. Thank you Otis 52
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINIGUY /forum/post/0


Miata, I still am very happy with my Panny but I have all full range speakers (klipsh legands and a DefTech 18" SW). But I took someones advice and picked up the Philps switcher for the analogs and it worksperfect in my setup.It is model ph61148. They also had a auto switcher and it did not work. The cost is 20.00, hope you can use it. Thank you Otis 52

Martiniguy,


Great input. I may have to get one of those switchers to try different things out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Here is the update...


I picked up another BD10K and also got the Philips switcher that Martiniguy recommended and they work like a champ. Today, I put in an order for three Boston Acoustics P460 speakers to upgrade the front stage. Costco Online has an unbelievable price on the P460s. These speakers should really help me take advantage of the Panny's AQ. My current speakers have a single 3.5" bass while the P450s include a single 4.5" mid-driver and four 4.5"s for bass. They are wall mount so the WAF is also good. Together with my Velodyne sub-woofer the sound should be a pretty big improvement. I'm also considering one of the Zektor switchers to integrate and automate with my Harmony remote.


So, I will be returning the Sony after all. The Panny's eject functionality and the tacky "reading disk" debug code continue to irritate me, but I'm willing to make a few sacrifices for the great sound from the Panny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
It looks like we both owe Otis52 a beer. That switcher probably saved my marriage. My wife was getting sick of me changing the 5.1 inputs. That's all we use now. Simple even for her. Great to see you back!


Cheers, Ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis52 /forum/post/0


S300 is connected to a Samsung HL-R6167W (61" 720p) via HDMI with player set to 1080i. (BTW, another advantage of the S300 is you can change resolution on the fly.)


I found that the "Standard" video setting on the S300 look best with my setup. I'm still trying to decide whether 1080i or 720p are best with this display...for now, I think 1080i may be slightly better, but they're so close that this might be my imagination.


SD DVD playback looks fine to me, better than my old Sony 75H upconverting player. (I don't have component video connected, so can't judge 480p playback via component.) The Panasonic might have had an edge in SD upconversion, but not enough to make a difference to me. Again, FOR MY SETUP, Sony clearly had the edge in BD picture quality.


5.1 analog outs are connected to a Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver. Eventually I'll get a receiver with HDMI connections, but uncompressed soundtracks on Blu-ray discs sound spectacular with my current setup.

Otis, I see you have the rxv2400. I have the 1400 and probably will have similar features, so a couple of questions: do your 2400 still apply the automatic speaker adjustments on analog in? (i.e. delay, volume level, equalization per channel)


If not, what is the loss in terms of not having delay in the player, and not being able to adjust sub level? (I heard some complaints that it comes out too low on yamahas). Lastly (since I'm lazy..) is the S300 5.1 or 7.1 analog out?


thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
906 Posts
Bass management is really bad on all BD players to date. I suspect the DAC's to be of poor quality as well..why put in higher end DAC's with such poor support for analog output?

The main reason I want to buy a HD player is mostly for the sound upgrade, but this kind of stuff turns me off completely.

Why would manufacturers not apply full bass management for early adopters like me that typically don't have HDMI equipped recievers...stupid


I know the XA1 is better , but for me I don't see the HD-DVD format surviving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barteaux /forum/post/0


Bass management is really bad on all BD players to date. I suspect the DAC's to be of poor quality as well..why put in higher end DAC's with such poor support for analog output?

The main reason I want to buy a HD player is mostly for the sound upgrade, but this kind of stuff turns me off completely.

Why would manufacturers not apply full bass management for early adopters like me that typically don't have HDMI equipped recievers...stupid


I know the XA1 is better , but for me I don't see the HD-DVD format surviving.

Have you not considered the Panasonic DMP-BD10AK? It has support for multichannel analogs, IE, speaker size, speaker delays because of distance, speaker levels and the Crossover is a fixed 100 Hz, which happens to be what I selected for my HD-A1 (works better than 80 Hz for low frequencies using analogs).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfabien /forum/post/0


Have you not considered the Panasonic DMP-BD10AK? It has support for multichannel analogs, IE, speaker size, speaker delays because of distance, speaker levels and the Crossover is a fixed 100 Hz, which happens to be what I selected for my HD-A1 (works better than 80 Hz for low frequencies using analogs).

I have, but my speakers are Klipsch THX and should be run at 80Hz. Not really that important but the flexibility is not there. Also the Pansonic player changes the speakers to LARGE when decoding TrueHD, which is not acceptable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomes /forum/post/0


Otis, I see you have the rxv2400. I have the 1400 and probably will have similar features, so a couple of questions: do your 2400 still apply the automatic speaker adjustments on analog in? (i.e. delay, volume level, equalization per channel)


If not, what is the loss in terms of not having delay in the player, and not being able to adjust sub level? (I heard some complaints that it comes out too low on yamahas). Lastly (since I'm lazy..) is the S300 5.1 or 7.1 analog out?


thanks!


No, as far as I can tell, the 2400 just passes the analog through unprocessed. I am only able to adjust the volume of each channel manually on the receiver. That said, I haven't had an issue with the inability to apply auto equalization, etc., because my Ascend Acoustics setup sounds great in my room with no adjustments other than volume level. The Yamaha also lets me set the volume level of the subwoofer; in my case I actually had to decrease it a few db, so output level for the SW is not an issue.


The s300 is 5.1 out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
I just returned the s300. Wanted to pick up the bd10a but no one has it in my area.

The s300 froze on me twice during "Happy Feet" BD. It also froze/skip on occasion (3 to 4 times per movie) on SD Superbits- "Fifth Element", "Desperado", & "Black Hawk Down".

The 5.1 audio set up was basic. No speaker level adjustment, which is important to me since my speakers sensitivity are different. The bd10a answers my audio setup likings.

The s300's PQ blew me away.

However, there is a voice in my head telling me to wait for the 3rd gen. players.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barteaux /forum/post/0


I have, but my speakers are Klipsch THX and should be run at 80Hz. Not really that important but the flexibility is not there. Also the Pansonic player changes the speakers to LARGE when decoding TrueHD, which is not acceptable.

All the speakers to large or just the fronts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis52 /forum/post/0


No, as far as I can tell, the 2400 just passes the analog through unprocessed. I am only able to adjust the volume of each channel manually on the receiver. That said, I haven't had an issue with the inability to apply auto equalization, etc., because my Ascend Acoustics setup sounds great in my room with no adjustments other than volume level. The Yamaha also lets me set the volume level of the subwoofer; in my case I actually had to decrease it a few db, so output level for the SW is not an issue.


The s300 is 5.1 out.

Thanks for the response!


Funny you should mention Ascends. I use those and a HSU vtf3mkII sub for my 7.1 setup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subharmonic_20 /forum/post/0


All the speakers to large or just the fronts?

Moot point as all my speakers are small.
 
81 - 93 of 93 Posts
Top