AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good receiver in the 200-300 dollar price range. I found a couple on 6ave.com and jandr.com. I want pro logic 2, DTS, and Dolby Digital. I will be using to play stereo 2 ch as well. Altough I will watching movies, I will be listening to music alot of the time, actually most of the time. I am looking at some of these models, tell me what you think guys. Oh and I have a 5.1 small Onkyo speaker setup in my room, small room but I want a good receiver because for the money these speakers arent bad. Thanks guys.

Kenwood VR6050

Panasonic SAHE100K

Pioneer VSXD811S

JVC RX8020VBK

Sony STRDE885B

Thanks again by the way.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Have a look at Yamaha as well. Last year's models are still pretty damn good and can be had for a fraction of what they cost if you're willing to buy used.

When I was on a buget it seemed that JVC was one of the best for price/feature viewpoint. It's been a few years though... I used to get a Crutchfield catalog and compare all of the specs... never ordered from them though, as better prices were found elsewhere.

KLH might be a brand that you want to consider as well.

Sean

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you think the JVC is the better one. I was looking a little at the Pioneer but all the reviews I have read say it is either awesome or it sucks because of the 1% THD. I dont want to buy used and I don't really like KLH, I think there are better brands. Thanks for the suggestions though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the way I changed the sony model the the 885 which I can get for 250 now. Right now I am thinking about the JVC, then the sony then the pioneer. The pioneer has alot of features. 80 percent of the time I am probably going to be listening to the radio and we have a sony in our family room. But I am still unsure to what the best deal is here. The sony costs around 250, the jvc around 270 and the pioneer is around 300. All prices are from 6ave.com. Also my speakers are rated up to 100 watts so getting anything better than 100 watts per channel would probably be useless. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I honestly think the Pioneer is a great entry level reciever. Great features and solid sound. Nice things like assignable digital and component inputs, a learning remote, and front panel to cover up the buttons are things you usually don't find on receviers this cheap. I picked one up and have been very happy with it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by roaf85
Also my speakers are rated up to 100 watts so getting anything better than 100 watts per channel would probably be useless.
Quite the opposite, for 2 reasons. First, the wattage rating, especially in economical receivers, is not always what they can reliably produce. A "60" watt may only produce 30 clean watts.

Second, what damages a speaker guaranteed, is not extra watts, but when the receiver "clips" - as in produces sound that is too loud for its amplifiers, causing the speaker to distort.

With clean power, a 100W speaker could handle 150W much better than 100W of "dirty" sound.

So, if you get a 120 WPC receiver, it will act as a buffer to protect your speakers.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The JVC is 120 watts into 2 channels but the pioneer I have heard alot of good things about and cnet gave the pioneer a very good review. Anyways though do you think the pioneer will be good for music which I listen to alot of the time. I am very confused on this matter.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by roaf85
do you think the pioneer will be good for music
I've read positive things about the newer economical Pioneer receivers, and am considering looking into one myself (I need a receiver with optical digital in for my bedroom AudioTron). I'm also looking into the Sony - I like the "slim" Sony, the SL7.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'll pass on after others helped me.

I was stuck between the Pioneer 811s and the Panny 100k. Both excellent recievers in the $300 price range that give 6.1 sound.

I went with the Pioneer, a bit more expensive but with more expandibility, automatic detection of DTS ES (Panny has to be set according to my research), and all binding posts for speaker connections.

Either one I would suggest, they're both great. The Panny can be had for less $$. More people on this forum and hometheaterforum seem to use the 811s and are happy with it, which helped my decision.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a JVC RX888-VBK (or something like that) for my office at work. I've had it cranked up a few times (while doing OT) and it sounds pretty decent for a $150.00 receiver.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea well I heard good and bad things about the pioneer too. People have said it has broke alot and has average sound quality on audioreview and I know the pioneer has the most features. I will be listening to music most of the time, but dolby digital and at least prologic 2 are important to me and I want clear powerful sound. I listened to the Onkyo recevier the onkyo speakers came with and decided against it since it wasnt that powerful. Right now I think I am going to go with the Pioneer or the Sony? What do you guys think? I cant decide. Also I will be with 5.1 speakers for awhile. So 6.1 and 7.1 probably wont be used for a while if ever. Also reliablity is a huge key factor. To sum it up I want something with strong music cd sound and dolby digital and dts that is reliable.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Why is nobody mentioning Denon? The 1403, 1603, and 1803 all are in your general price range when you consider the street prices. I got and 1802 last year for $330. The major difference between the 180x and 160x models is the presence of a phono input.

I looked at all of the amps in this price range and may of the units described above were weak compared to the Denons. I also auditioned a Marantz (4200?) but liked the Denon better. I will admit that I don't drive it too hard (driving speakers for my PC), but when I do, it is especially clean.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Roaf, I have heard from many sources bad opinions regarding quality of the Sony units. I would avoid Sony above all others according to popular opinion pretty much everywhere. Sony USED to be good quality.

I have heard good things about Denon though, but don't know anything about it, so check out Teekster's recommends too.

Pioneer - average sound quality maybe, I hope to hell it doesn't break alot!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I found this. It is a denon, really all I want is something that can play music and have to oopm to it. I need the DTS and Dolby digital but neo 6.1 and stuff I could care less for. I listen to an Onkyo receiver and it did produce some clear sound it was rated at 80 watts per channel but it didnt have that much power unless you turned it up all the way. Thanks

Denon AVR-683
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=denavr683

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guys I have narrowed it down. I listen to the 885 sony and it sucks. I also listened to a yamaha which kicked arse but for 300 I dont know if it is worth it. I am stuck between these 3 and this is final for sure. The panasonic SA-HE100K got a product of the year from sound and vision mag. Have not listened to it. A denon AVR-683 or a yamaha HTR-5540. The panny is 244 shipped, the denon is 262 shipped and the yamaha is probably going to be around 320. The yamaha sounds good but expensive. I am leaning towards the denon. What do you guys think. Also I have not listened to the panasonic but it did win a sound and vision award so I don't I need to make a desicion in the next few days to be here to christmas. Thanks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You think the yamaha? The thing about the the yamaha is no front inputs, the denon has a ton of features but I dont know if for that level of receiver it is a good price. I am really confused, my parents keep nagging me. I just need something that is going to be good for music, sound clean and still produce some power to fill a small room. 300 is my limit. Panasonic got a reward from sound and vision so I have to throw that in the mix and there is also an entry level onkyo but I think the yamaha sounds better than the onkyo. I am losing my mind trying to find a receiver.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right now I am stuck between the Yamaha, and the Denon. I think I am going to go yamaha. I mean the receiver has decent power enough for me but the sound quality is just amazing. I couldnt believe how it can make the crappiest speakers come alive.

·
Registered
246 Posts
roaf--no one has mentioned the Kenwood. I got the 6060 for $265 open box at BB. I'm impressed--really provides excellent sound choices. The thing I really like about it is the learning remote--even programmed it for my Showstopper. I know the 6050 is in your price range but you might look for a deal on the 6060.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.