AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OKay I'm new to this whole AV thing, now I'm doing a dedicated build.

And yes I've owned receivers before, just never took the time to use them as anything other than a amp I guess. I guess I mean I never used them and tuned them real well (just dug out my old sony and played around a bit with my new Polk towers and center, yeah make a difference when you play a bit)

So now I'm feeling that I need a little upgrade.

I'm looking for something somewhat cheap, sub $500. Can go more depending.

I know that limits choices alot. Powerwise I mean, but I've been looking at amps latley and the prices are not so scary anymore. So amping is not a real huge issue, ya know I'd rather get by without amping anything. (for now)

So I'm thinking I need something with pre-outs? Am I right?

Sorry about dithering on.

Suggestions?

Oh yeah I went to BB and demo'd a sony (900+watt? I liked it, but thats all I heard) with the speakers i was thinking about getting, and well....I got the speaker....just not from them.

·
Registered
398 Posts
It's not likely that you're going to hear a difference in sound with any sub $500 AVR. But if you must purchase a new one, I believe you are correct in wanting to get a model that has pre-outs so that you can, if you want - or need - to, add separate amps at some future time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRSQUARED /forum/post/18219963

It's not likely that you're going to hear a difference in sound with any sub $500 AVR. But if you must purchase a new one, I believe you are correct in wanting to get a model that has pre-outs so that you can, if you want - or need - to, add separate amps at some future time.

I concur.

So about hearing richer/better sounds, one must spend more?

I have polk monitor 70 mains with a CS2 center, dunno If that means anything to my OP.

I was in the camp where the receiver just amps the signal, but yet I read posts/threads how one or the other sounds better.

But I'm also from the camp where more power=better sound. (could be that nasty car audio part of life)

What I for sure dont want is to have to buy video processors and all that stuff that the super dedicated have.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Sound quality is determined primarily by your speakers, with room acoustics following closely behind. The contribution from your electronics is in distant third, with the amplifier having virtually no impact on SQ. The only thing that matters for the amp is that it can provide sufficient power for your demands.

I haven't looked at receivers much in about a year, so I'm not up on current models, but I believe Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon and Onkyo should all have models in your price-range with pre-out jacks. It's always nice to have the option of adding a separate amp later on, if you decide the receiver's amps are inadequate. Having more power available won't help any if you don't actually need it, though, so try out the receiver on it's own first.

·
Registered
850 Posts
The Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH or its clone, the Pioneer VSX-9040 can be had for around that price range, if you look around and get your local Best Buy to price-match the lowest price you can find. Both of them have pre-outs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/18220486

In the Denon line, the 3310 is the lowest level model with pre-outs although will cost about $1000, while it's predecessor, the 2809 can be had for roughly your budget price. You may also want to consider waiting another couple months when the 2011 models will be released in May/June which will all include HDMI 1.4.

Gave a look at the denon, they sure are nice, but man they dont give those away by any means.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry, didn't see the reply.

Still waiting for mine to turn up after a UPS/Newegg shipping disaster....

With any luck I shall have mine early next week latest. What a nightmare.

However, plenty of good feedback in the 665/765 threads (765 seems to mainly have more power so a lot of the 665 thread is relevant).

Let us know what you decide...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts