AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pioneer VSX 919 and Energy Take Speakers. I am ok with what I have, but off late, I have been researching a lot. I have read that Pio Receiver is not so great (downgrade from 1018), and Energy Take are also not so powerful for the receiver I have.

Hence My question:

Which is more important, having great receiver or great speaker. If I had $500 more to spend, should I get a SC-05 or better speakers?

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
realistically....

save longer and THEN buy better speakers...

assuming you are looking for 5 speakers for that $500, will you really find something that is THAT much better than what you have now?

if you absolutely HAVE to spend the money today (i.e. it's burning a hole in your pocket, and if you don't spend it on a/v equipment right now, you'll spend it on wine and wimmen
), then i'd buy the avr... at least with the avr, you won't be throwing good money after bad 6 months from now, like you would be if you bought a 500 dollar set of speakers...

ymmv...

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
A good rule of thumb (if you assume that price corresponds to quality) is that your speakers should cost at least twice as much as your receiver.

You'll buy new receivers every couple of years as technology comes and goes, but good speakers only have to be bought once.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
The question I have always had is, what constitutes good speakers?

I personally look for speakers which will have sufficient bass extension to mate properly with my powered sub, that are reasonably efficient (90 dB,) that color the sound minmally (whatever that means,) and that don't break the bank.

I think a lot of reasonable priced bookshelf speakers meet the bill. I also personally want a properly sized center which matches the front speakers at least and fits into the shelf below the TV.

Realistically, I have wanted to buy and try different speakers over the years, so I ended up with a mismatch. Which means, I went budget when I started, and upgraded as I went along. Worked for me, but other people have different needs.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/16912217

The question I have always had is, what constitutes good speakers?

for me, sadly enough for my wallet, sometimes it seems like "anything other than what i have"...

the grass really IS always greener, y'know... it's only once you get on that green grass that you realize why it's so green...

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Speakers, there is nothing wrong with the VSX 919 and buying a $500 receiver isn't going to be an upgrade from it, different maybe but not an upgrade.

As said earlier $500 depending on your needs isn't much for a full 5 speaker system. I'd concentrate on replacing the fronts for now then a matching center and finish it off with surrounds as your budget permits.

If you get a speaker system you're happy with it'll last you a lifetime, receivers come and go with technology and if the pattern persist, get more affordable in the process.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by got2go /forum/post/16910505

I have a Pioneer VSX 919 and Energy Take Speakers. I am ok with what I have, but off late, I have been researching a lot. I have read that Pio Receiver is not so great (downgrade from 1018), and Energy Take are also not so powerful for the receiver I have.

Hence My question:

Which is more important, having great receiver or great speaker. If I had $500 more to spend, should I get a SC-05 or better speakers?

Where did you read that the Pio 919 is not so great? Everything I have read states it's one of (if not the best) bang for the buck at its price range on the market today.

You'll be better served by upgrading your speakers.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGGeneric /forum/post/16912679

Where did you read that the Pio 919 is not so great? Everything I have read states it's one of (if not the best) bang for the buck at its price range on the market today.

You'll be better served by upgrading your speakers.

+1

There is nothing wrong with the Pio 919....subjective opinion without any proof about different AVRs should be ignored IMO

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay /forum/post/16912171

A good rule of thumb (if you assume that price corresponds to quality) is that your speakers should cost at least twice as much as your receiver.

What...that is the most silly thing I have heard

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.