AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sony STR-DV10 died. I bought it, oh, maybe 10 years ago. It worked great for us and I hoped to have it for much longer. From what I can tell, a capacitor leaked and now it always goes to "Protected" after it starts up.

It's pre-HDMI, so I'm trying to get ramped up on what the options are these days. I've been digging through specs. I didn't see any buyers guides here - did I miss one? My needs and budget are pretty modest. The one I had was a closeout of the silver version - the black one was still close to $500 at the time and I spent $120 or so. I'd rather not spend more than $200, but if I'm just getting junk at that price, I can go up. $400 would be a stretch unless there's a sweet spot somewhere. Although I hoped to someday take advantage of all the channels, the truth is I only ever setup two and have two pretty good speakers. I have a custom built HTPC that currently only has DVI out, though I could modify that. I was using digital out to connect it to the receiver. I also have a Fire TV Stick. I had that connected to the TV, with the TV audio coming to the receiver via optical.

I'm also fairly mobile savvy - rooted android phone, used to be a designer/dev for a company that makes tablets... so some of the new wireless features interest me. Plus I'm sure my wife would love to just hit play on Pandora on her phone and let the music rip.

What are some good brands these days? I see the Onkyo service issue thread above. I don't plan on going to 4k anytime soon. I've usually been someone who will buy more than I need now, expecting to use it in the future. But in this case, I don't see 4k for me within the next 5 years. I should probably buy for what works now. I do want good audio quality. My TV is a decent Panasonic plasma. I can wait a couple months if it's really worth waiting for HDMI 2.

Suggestions, links... are much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
I would wait a couple of months and get HDMI 2. Right now, all decent TVs are UHD. In a few years, non UHD TVs will be relegated to to the super cheap brands. So if your panny plasma ever needs replacing, you'll be glad your receiver will work with your new TV.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Check out accessories4less. They are certified resellers and sell manufacturer refurbished receivers. You can get a pretty good receiver for $300-$400, like Yamaha RX-a730 among others. Don't waste your money on something new for $200-$300. Just find some models on there in your price range and that have the features that interest you and google search reviews of them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That Yamaha RX-a730 on accessories4less looks awesome and the price looks good as well. I know one can find a model and google for reviews, but my problem with that is generally you find reviews that go both ways. Some are pretty much paid for by the mfg, and others are often from people who don't know what they're talking about. I know there's some threads here with reviews on specific models, so I'll dig through those.

I imagine if I wait 2 months for HDMI 2, I'd have to wait even longer to get a refurbed model. In the mean time, I've got some powered studio monitors hooked up to the HTPC. The fire tv stick won't work with that though. 2mo might be a stretch. Though it looks like that Yamaha supports UHD, no? I read elsewhere that it's also about HDCP support.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts