AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendation on a receiver to drive some 4-ohm speakers (emotiva 3 erm-1's and 2 erd-1's) temporarily until I can afford a separate amp. I'll be using them in a room 15 x 20. Don't plan on spending more than 500.00 on it as I plan to save and put it towards a separate amp later.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmchea /forum/post/16939658

Looking for recommendation on a receiver to drive some 4-ohm speakers (emotiva 3 erm-1's and 2 erd-1's) temporarily until I can afford a separate amp. I'll be using them in a room 15 x 20. Don't plan on spending more than 500.00 on it as I plan to save and put it towards a separate amp later.

HK 254 from the E-bay store. HK seems to be at this time anyway one of the very few that actually under rate their amps realistic power. Then after you get that amp you can still use it as a pre-pro. Get an XPA3 for the L/C/R and let the HK do the rest. Or for a little more the 354 is even better. Either can be had for under your budget.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Most receivers cannot handle 4 ohm loads. This doesn't mean you cannot use an AVR that isn't, but I wouldn't recommend it for long term use. Depending on the speakers the AVR may go into protection mode at modest levels.

THX Ultra 2 Certification means an AVR is stable to 3.2 ohms. The Onkyo 805 or 806. The 806 can be bought refurbished for $599 from shoponkyo.com. The Pioneer SC-07 is also a great option but in the $900-$1,000 range right now. IMO you wouldn't need a separate amp with an Ultra 2 AVR.

If you have an AVR maybe use that until you can do the full upgrade. The Yamaha 665 works well as a pre/pro and can be had cheap ($350ish) which would put more money towards an amp. It couldn't handle the 4 ohm load on its own.

Phantom mentioned a good AVR in the HK 254. I still wouldn't run this real long without the amp. You have a large room and you may really have to drive the HK hard which will most likely go into protection at modest levels.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboo /forum/post/16940097

I can tell you not to use the Pioneer Elite SC05/SC07

I know the SC-05 is only Select 2, but the 07 can't do 4 ohm? It is Ultra 2.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/16940208

I know the SC-05 is only Select 2, but the 07 can't do 4 ohm? It is Ultra 2.

It seems I've read in the dedicated threads for these receivers that either of these are able to do 4 ohms at respectables volumes. Now if your'e using any of them in a very large room and really pushing them to ear-splitting volumes I can understand almost any receiver shutting down. They are not made for that type of application. We need CHP or Curt to come in here and confirm this little fact about 4 ohm loads with the Pioneer SC models. It doesn't really matter either way though because both of these are out of the OP's price limit.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:

out of curiosity, is this from personal experience? if so, with what speakers? others seem to have had different experiences...

if the op wants to know info about the 05/07 series, the information he/she is looking for is in the dedicated 05/07 thread...

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
^^

Not only test reviews, but many owners are using Pioneer's ice powered receivers with 4 ohm speakers including me
altho mine is the SC-09.

I'm driving magnepans which are not only 4 ohm but not very efficient. unless the Emotiva's have very low impedance dips, the Pioneers should work

Advice to the OP, check the owner's threads.

ss9001

·
Registered
10,240 Posts

Quote:

do you have personal experience, an owner or dealer that knows? or someone who just read & interpreted one review? How about the other reviews - check them out or are u a 1 review man?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The Denon AVR-889 is currently 550 at @mazon and will handle 4 ohm loads, although the Denon manual warns that extended operation below 4 ohms may trigger protection shutdown. Depending on your volume you may not need a power amp -- unless you plan on running with no sub in a room that big. With a sub's plate amp handling the big bass power requirements you should be fine with the 889.

Look at the 889/2309's 4 ohm performance here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=5325

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboo /forum/post/16940507

Read the "where's the beef" paragraph.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/r...7-system-setup

Thats all I needed to see

While I very much respect Mr. Della Salla reviews and test reports he is not the only one testing this equipment. Others that have tested and reviewed and the many users here and other sites have proven that these receivers are quite capable of delivering as promised. Whether they are 8 or 4 ohm loads. I will also re-state that both of these receivers are out of the OP's price that he set. So these retorts are unneeded. The OP is looking for an AVr that will do 4 ohm speakers for $500 or less. So bashing or arguing over what a SC05/07 is quite capable of is not helping him.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboo /forum/post/16940507

Read the "where's the beef" paragraph.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/r...7-system-setup

Thats all I needed to see

Here's some real world experience -

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post16940414

tboo, you are entitled to your opinion, but instead of referring the OP to some reviews, you chose to blanket tell him to look elsewhere. That does the OP a disservice, since you do not own the receiver, have no experience with it, have not compared it to any others yourself.

I could no more tell someone not to use a Denon than you can on the Pioneer, because I've never owned one!

Why didn't you post links to all the reviews & let the OP decide for himself?

What gives you the right to simply say something positively won't work, when there are hundreds of real owners and several other reviews that say otherwise?

I am an owner and they will drive 4 ohm speakers just fine. Been doing it since 2001 on 3 Pioneer flagships.

Also, it may interest YOU that if you read some of Gene's reviews, he clearly shows a preference for Denon, Yamaha over some other brands. No one is 100% purely objective, including him and including me

Plus, some of his test methods may not apply to class D amps which do not operate the same way as conventional class A & AB amps. Some pointed that out to him.

ss9001

·
Registered
10,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunnell /forum/post/16940484

The Denon AVR-889 is currently 550 at @mazon and will handle 4 ohm loads,

and if a $500 entry level receiver can do it, the higher priced more powerful Pioneer's will also

Let's stop the brand bashing and provide some useful help to the OP.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/16940556

The OP is looking for an AVr that will do 4 ohm speakers for $500 or less. So bashing or arguing over what a SC05/07 is quite capable of is not helping him.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, phantom!

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 /forum/post/16940614

No one is 100% purely objective, including him and including me

oh noes! say it isn't so!!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
The recent Marantz's have absolutely the best amp sections of any AVR's for the price and will have no issues whatsoever driving 4 ohm speakers. I do it with no problems on the 2 generation old entry level models.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts