AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do u guys recommend? i want to be able to turn on the pc and launch xbmc without the need for a mouse/keyboard, turn off the pc, search files in you tube, watch some pictures from my folders, play, pause and select subtitles on movies....

I really wanted the Logitech Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote but 200 $ is too much for me
or the new Logitech Harmony 900 but is effing 400 $!!!

Do all remotes come with a receiver or i have to buy it separately ?

I want a not so-old model, at least form 2008, am i asking too much?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Any remote that works is a good remote. There are literally hundreds of choices. Most don't come with receivers, but some do. Prices range from 99 cents for a receiver with remote to several hundred bucks. Personally I use URC 10820 10 device learning remotes at about $14 each. I bought a JP1.2 cable (about $15) so I could program my own custom codes. One receiver I use is the one that came with the 99 cent remote and another is an HP media center remote I got off ebay for $5. The remote just sends the codes. What they do is a function of the PC software. Spending more money than this is just a waste of money. Well, even the extra cable is a waste of money since the device will learn codes from other remotes, but.....:)

Oops, price went up to $1.49:)

http://tekgems.com/Products/tg-pbr.htm

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
sounds like you actually need two things: a ir receiver and a good universal remote.

the msft mce remotes (with usb receiver) are well supported by lirc and xbmc and are cheap, but may not wake the pc up. it most likely won't be able to turn it on.

once you get a receiver, you can use almost any universal remote from $20 to $200+. I use urc remotes which I like a lot, but their idea of customer support borders on criminal, imo.

check the remote forum here for lots more detail.

I get my remotes from here:

http://www.surfremotecontrol.com/

mike posts in the rc forum answering questions and helping users. make sure you email him for the best prices on urc remotes if you go that route.

harmony is the other popular one. easier to program and user friendly out of the box. urc remotes take effort on your part to make user friendly, but are far more powerful if you have complex a/v systems.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijs_Verwest /forum/post/17051698

What do u guys recommend? i want to be able to turn on the pc and launch xbmc without the need for a remote, turn off the pc, search files in you tube, watch some pictures from my folders, play, pause and select subtitles on movies....

I really wanted the Logitech Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote but 200 $ is too much for me
or the new Logitech Harmony 900 but is effing 400 $!!!

Do all remotes come with a receiver or i have to buy it separately ?

I want a not so-old model, at least form 2008, am i asking too much?

If you search for Harmony remotes on newegg you will find several models below $100, but as the others said, the remote is only one half of the deal, you need a IR receiver too.

Some HTPC cases have an in-built IR receiver that allows you switch on the box with your remote but I don't know if those in-built IR receivers also work with Linux as I have no experience with them.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K. /forum/post/17052783

sounds like you actually need two things: a ir receiver and a good universal remote.

the msft mce remotes (with usb receiver) are well supported by lirc and xbmc and are cheap, but may not wake the pc up. it most likely won't be able to turn it on.

once you get a receiver, you can use almost any universal remote from $20 to $200+. I use urc remotes which I like a lot, but their idea of customer support borders on criminal, imo.

check the remote forum here for lots more detail.

I get my remotes from here:

http://www.surfremotecontrol.com/

mike posts in the rc forum answering questions and helping users. make sure you email him for the best prices on urc remotes if you go that route.

harmony is the other popular one. easier to program and user friendly out of the box. urc remotes take effort on your part to make user friendly, but are far more powerful if you have complex a/v systems.

urc remotes?

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
I use a Gyration which is RF and comes with a receiver. It works OOB with XBMC, but the page up/page down buttons don't work yet (I guess nobody has figured out the codes for those buttons). It's also a mouse which is pretty awesome.

And don't listen to the whiny reviewers at newegg who couldn't get the IR programmed. It took me all of 5 minutes to teach it the IR codes from my Z-5500 remote.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythmaster /forum/post/17053857

I use a Gyration which is RF and comes with a receiver. It works OOB with XBMC, but the page up/page down buttons don't work yet (I guess nobody has figured out the codes for those buttons). It's also a mouse which is pretty awesome.

And don't listen to the whiny reviewers at newegg who couldn't get the IR programmed. It took me all of 5 minutes to teach it the IR codes from my Z-5500 remote.

I have the gyration media center combo remote and keyboard as well. the mouse works ok, but for me most of the buttons aren't recognized in xbmc. this may have changed in the last 6 months or so, though.

the keyboard sucks, though. it is constantly dropping keys, and I'm not alone with this complaint.

·
Banned
2,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K. /forum/post/17053991

I have the gyration media center combo remote and keyboard as well. the mouse works ok, but for me most of the buttons aren't recognized in xbmc. this may have changed in the last 6 months or so, though.

the keyboard sucks, though. it is constantly dropping keys, and I'm not alone with this complaint.

Yeah, I have the keyboard, too, and I have to agree that it sucks, but, meh, it was only $25.

There have been improvements recently with the remote buttons. Like I said, everything works OOB with XBMC except page up / page down (e.g., volume, mute, stop, play, numpad, etc.). And you can point LIRC to it for other programs: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Gyration-based_MCE_Remotes

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what do you think of the logitech harmony 510? the screen doesnt have colors but it´s "cheap" 62$ at amazon and its newer than the 520 and 550 which have been discontinued , amazon also has in stock the 550 for 48 $ but tis refurbished, what would you guys do?

·
Registered
51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K. /forum/post/17059078

...The remote is the only part of the home theater you actually touch. You might as well like it.

And that is the best advice you can get!

I have URC R50 plus 2 receivers (one to wake up PC - USBUIRT, and one old serial from MDP-120 to operate PC) and love it. I already had both receivers, so I just used them both

·
Registered
8,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewell /forum/post/17051945

Any remote that works is a good remote. There are literally hundreds of choices. Most don't come with receivers, but some do. Prices range from 99 cents for a receiver with remote to several hundred bucks. Personally I use URC 10820 10 device learning remotes at about $14 each. I bought a JP1.2 cable (about $15) so I could program my own custom codes. One receiver I use is the one that came with the 99 cent remote and another is an HP media center remote I got off ebay for $5. The remote just sends the codes. What they do is a function of the PC software. Spending more money than this is just a waste of money. Well, even the extra cable is a waste of money since the device will learn codes from other remotes, but.....:)

Oops, price went up to $1.49:)

http://tekgems.com/Products/tg-pbr.htm

I also recommend getting a JP1 compatible remote. JP1 is the FOSS of the remote world. YOu can make a Harmony/Pronto killer for less than $30-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JP1_remote

http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/JP1_unive...s_(One-for-all )

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't know if you're still looking, but I second (third?) the logictech harmony remote. I also picked up a cheap remote called "streamzap" for the IR receiver that worked well in windows and Ubuntu using LIRC.

HTH

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what matters the most to me is a remote that works perfectly fine with xbcm =) , do urc remotes work 100% with xbcm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lullg /forum/post/17199578

Don't know if you're still looking, but I second (third?) the logictech harmony remote. I also picked up a cheap remote called "streamzap" for the IR receiver that worked well in windows and Ubuntu using LIRC.

HTH

using lirc? guess im gonna have to do some research, yeah i totally forgot about the ir receiver, any suggestions?

·
Registered
566 Posts
No remotes work with xbmc. xbmc expects keyboard presses. The remotes simulate these, so any ir remote that works with lirc will work with xbcm. You can spend $1.49 to $300 for a remote that will essentially do the same thing. Personally, I have used One for All remotes for years for myself. The latest one I just got for under $20 shipped is the RCA version (RCRP05B) of the One for All OARP05S. It has lots of programmable buttons and I program my own codes to all the buttons using JP1.2/3 cable and software. But you can use any remote you want, so pick one you like. If you want it to work without hassle, an MCE remote with usb receiver is probably the way to go. Evben if you don't like the remote, you can use the receiver with any remote of your choice. Someone also posted an ebay link for one for about $4 with usb receiver not long ago in this forum. They liked it iirc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts