AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found any magazine or internet reviews from good sources about these tvs (New 1080p models) yet? Seems like it is about time for that kinda information to start showing up, they have been shipping/in production for a little bit now.

Is it just me or do most information sources merely seem to relay press releases and rarely update websites with reviews and such? I guess maybe I expect the same quality of information that one would generally find about computers at places like tomshardware and anandtech but for HiFi. I search all the time, can someone point me somewhere?

For example Home Theater Mag's last RPTV review is from November 2004!!! Other sites seem to be no better, checking the magazine rack at the bookstore hasn't been very useful either.
http://hometheatermag.com/rearprojectiontvs/index2.html

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
RPTV reviews seem like they are available 6+ months after a product is introduced. I'm certainly not expecting to see any until after they have been on the market for a while.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVboy
RPTV reviews seem like they are available 6+ months after a product is introduced. I'm certainly not expecting to see any until after they have been on the market for a while.
That is an absoultely ridiculus time frame for an ever changing technology and given the advent of a little thing called the internet. Given the time frames and lifetime HT gear exists with the lable "top of the line" it will be surpassed before these places get around to releasing a review. I know that in general people buy tvs less often then computers, but car reviews are way better and that industry is an order of magnitude slower. They had all these tv's at CES, whatever happend to sending reviewers engineering samples?!? Did they really not want advanced hype by allowing early reviews? Is it the companies being afraid or a lack of responsible professional reviewers? I must say that (though the forum is fun) the reliance on forums for dissemination of information in this industry is absurd and most likely limits customers.

1 year product cycles and waiting 6 months for a review...ack.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVboy
I agree I get like 3 different mags and by the time they review a item we already have them in our homes :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
CNET is relatively current. There was a terrific site called Ecoustics.com which had a running list of editorial RPTV reviews (at least 200 of them, many from 04 and 05), and the site is still up, but it looks like they are in the midst of recoding or something, because all the list pages are file not found as of today. (But I was browsing it just last week)

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Well the reviewers usually have to ask the manufacturer for the product to review. They don't have the resources to go out and buy it themselves.

They get the product ... then they have to break it in ... then they calibrate it ... then they use it for a month or so ... that's how it works.

If you bought the set yourself ... you could get the review out quickly then and then others might complain that your review wasn't thorough enough etc etc ...

Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.