AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a spool of RG-6 cable to run a second cable from my satellite dish and also install a HD OTA antenna.

Searching for "RG6 cable" on eBay produced about 50 hits. There's one auction that I'm particularly interested in:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1235382761

The seller claimed that his cable is...I quote "UL DIGITALLY CERTIFIED 2200 Mhz swept tested Coax Cable". Does his claim have any merit? Does it mean his cable is really better than the others?

I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to what different qualities of RG-6 are, so any additional information and/or recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by roots:
I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to what different qualities of RG-6 are, so any additional information and/or recommendation is greatly appreciated.
roots, They do not say if this cable is copper or copper clad steel. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV

·
Registered
192 Posts
>>>>They do not say if this cable is copper or copper clad steel. Both have advantages and disadvantages.<<<<

Could you elaborate on this? Thanks!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Impala Bob,

Is a quad-shield RG6 better than dual-shield (as the cable in the ebay auction)? What about the frequency sweep? Is it going to impact the signal strength?

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Quad shield will help to reduce the effects of interference sources along the path that the cable follows. It has the same loss rating as does dual. So it may or may not make a significant difference depending upon your installation.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
The minimum type of RG-6 is double shielded (foil and one braid), hence the 60% shield rating. This is probably fine for most DBS installs, but, I would go for 3 (tri-) or 4 (quad-) shielded for OTA, especially if you want to have good analog reception as well.

------------------

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV/-DT.

"Not a REAL Engineer, but I play one in TV"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.