AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28,944 Posts
Perhaps you are asking too much by setting your price range so low. It's hard to get a good anything for less than $200. If that's your absolute limit, get yourself an RP82 and be content with good deinterlacing.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be...but all the same, that's my limit. From my perspective, the most significant upgrade beyond the $200 players would be a $400 RP91, and I can't even justify that. ;)

Hey, at least I'm not the guy asking about the sub $100 players.

Beyond this having a practical application for my situation, I'm also just genuinely curious about the whys and wherefores of what to optimize for.

I'm sure we're all looking forward to cheap FLI2300-based players that add scaling to the already great deinterlacing, but until then I'd like to get the most of my new HDTV with a reasonably-priced DVD player.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Try a Panny CP-72,

Almost the same as the RP-82.

JandR has it for $199.98 to start...using ebates you get an extra 3% off and Panasonic has a $30 rebate. If you tack on the $10 shipping, you're out the door for around $175-180.

Hard to beat.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
The Toshiba SD-4800 progressive scan is a player in that it deinterlaces and scales non-A to A size, then the zoom icon can be made to *disapeer* leaving your view in that aspect ratio. JVC XVS500BK R1-6 can Enhance PAL to A, but 'not' in Region 1. The Toshiba at top can enhance the non-A to Anamorphic size without zoom icon being seen, I am *confirming* this can be done and very easily as well in both interlaced or progressive scan! Price paid under $200 with 1 year warranty from Toshiba.com

The SD-4800 will do DVD discs, DVD-A (Audio) CD, VCD, JPEG etc. also, what a DVD player, it's a keeper! Now I can buy non-anamorphic 2.35:1 and enhance to A size for viewing. I hope the viewers on software see this post. I don't own any Toshba stock I a doing this for your pleasure of seeing all of your discs in Enhanced for wide screens viewing aspect ratio.:)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the player recommendations, but to be honest, I think I know what's available for the most part.

What I'm really trying to figure out is whether to optimize for the best deinterlacing or the best scaling, along with the reasoning behind that.

For the record, about 10% of my DVD collection is non-anamorphic letterbox and another 10% is 4:3. I was actually quite suprised by how few DVDs I have that fall into these categories. I would be disappointed to have to view 20% of my DVDs at diminished quality (compliments of Samsung doubling/scaling), but if those other 80% would benefit significantly from Faroujda deinterlacing, versus perhaps Mediamatics or Zoran deinterlacing, then I might make that sacrifice.

Any thoughts?

By the way, I'm not actually sure what percentage of my DVD collection is video-encoded or improperly flagged, but I would guess a fairly low number. Anybody know how prevalent these discs are among widely-released material?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.