AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I play a lot of driving games with my racing wheel, but there are some annoyances. Has anyone solved these?

1) Keeping the pedals steady on the floor. They constantly slide around, and I don't want to permanently place them anywhere.

2) Having the wheel itself on a steady surface. PC wheels are meant to be clamped onto a desk -- not balanced in your lap.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
846 Posts
jathos,

I own the Logitech FF steering wheel for the PS2, and I had similar problems. After experimenting a bit, I found the following were the best, and cheapest, solutions for me:

I use a thin rubber car mat (for the back-seat floor) to keep the pedals in place. It even does well on carpet. Also, and this may seem really geeky, I use adjustable nylon straps with clips (the kind used on back-packs) to strap the wheel to my legs, one strap on each leg. It works incredibly well. I look like a total dork, but I just make sure that I only use it around equally dorky friends. And my wife already said "I do", so I'm safe ;)

Shawn

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
LOL.....tell me this.....did she say "I do" even after seeing you in the straps or had she not seen that side of you until after the ceremony? ;)

We certainly are lucky guys to have such understanding women in our lives ;)

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
LOL....good for you man. I knew Janelle was with me to the end when she saw me playing Samba de Amigo with the maracas and didn't run for the hills. ;)

Ok...sorry about changing the topic of this thread. Back on track.....good idea for the wheel in terms of having it be cheap and efficient. I saw an EGM issue where they showed a picture of a guy who makes these wooden frames to mount your wheel on. I guess he builds this wooden frame that looks like the frame of an arcade cabinet....the frame just slides up to your seat on the couch and has the wheel mounted on it where it would sit if you were in a car and the pedals are mounted on the base of a frame. It was most cool, but it's a much more expensive way of doing things.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
What wheel do you have Jathos? I have the MadCat2, and it has "clasps" for your legs that work fairly well. Granted, my wheel is low-end, but I'm guessing that there should be some sort of wheel you can buy that allows for some sort of lap-gaming! :)

-Juice

·
Registered
615 Posts
I also like the latest MadCatz 2 wheel that has a heavy foot pedal base and lap extensions that your thighs press against. The wheel also has decent force feedback effects (not too strong) and a nice calibration/sensitivty adjustment capability.

Ken

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I use the MadCatz 2 wheel and I have found the a nice wooden "TV dinner" tray works great for holding the wheel. It is fairly stable and can be folded up and put away when not in use.

I will have to try the rubber mat idea to keep the pedals from sliding around. I was also thinking about using some speaker spikes.

Laters,

Jeff

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hm...I wonder if that cockpit could be used for Steel Battalion. Do you actually own one, b-florida?

Tom

...also married and a proud owner of Samba de Amigo maracas. My wife can't mock me as long as I'm better at it than she is, though. *grin*

·
Registered
78 Posts
Tom,

Yes I do own one. It is very nice and I had the same idea when Steel Battalion came out. Unfortunately it is not an easy fit... it could be modified a bit to make it work but I never took the time to do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.