AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My homeowners association will most likely frown upon the idea of a huge 5 foot antenna on the roof with an accompanying sat dish. I am pretty sure I will have an excellent line of site to both Los Angeles and San Diego DTV transmissions (as I am on top of a hill in Carlsbad an am pulling in about 4 LA satations with just my crappy rabbit ears right now) and think I can use a smaller more discrete outdoor antenna. Are there any maybe made by Winegard or CM that you have tried and that work effectively? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Let the HOA frown - there is SQUAT they can do about it. Put whatever antenna you need to get local reception. Read the link in my sig. for more details.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
The 4221 is a pretty good choice, if your local DTVs are all UHF. The stacking of the bowtie elements will also help with ground-bounce multipath, since you are on a hill.

The 4221 will probably fit inside one of those plastic "skylight" bubbles, if you wanted to mount it on the side of a house and frame it out so it doesn't show.

Only problem with UHF-only antennas, is you don't get the existing local VHFs and you don't get to use it for FM (also in the low VHF band).

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
All the local digital TV stations in San Diego and Los Angeles are UHF, so the Channel Master 4221 is the best choice. Its small and low profile and only around $25.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the great info! The 4221 is gonna be it! Will it be able to pull in stations from LA from its backside of it (as it looks as though it concaves on the front side)? LA seems to have stronger signals so I might just end up using them.

DonBerg, you know of any antenna installers or stores that sell the 4221? I don't feel like sliding down my huge sloped tiled roof to an early death. How would I know if an preamp is necessary? Where are you located BTW? You enjoying some HD? I think we have crossed forum topics quite a few times...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I wrote a letter stating to my HOA as "kindly" as possible that their restrictions on my installation would violate FCC rules. They responded with an 8 page thick pamphlet of guidlines for installation (it seems I am not the only one requesting). It seems that I can do what I want if I am installing in exclusive areas (areas I own....attic, balcony, etc) but there are still "guidlines" for exclusive area installation as well. If I want to install in common areas (ie: the roof, side of house) they need a proposal and letter from a professional stating that the roof is the only way I can recieve a decent quality signal.

This sucks and so do they! I own my friggin house! I know my rights! I am not even renting and they are still butting into my personally owned property! Next Wednesday I am going to have the antenna (4221) mounted (by a great local company called Ameristat") on a mast starting in my back patio and it will go up as much as 10 feet above the roofline. It will not be touching "their" exterior house wall or "their" roof. If they have anything to say about it they can answer to the FCC!

The guy at Ameristat said that getting my Satellite installed would be even more difficult as it will most likely need to be mounted on the side of the house or our roof. He says that cable companies have been contacting HOA's and telling them to restrict and even charge for satellite installation. I will now have to have a survey done to see where the satellite could be installed for an "acceptable quality signal" (quoted from my HOA guidelines) and my guess is that it will most likely have to be on the roof. I will then have to submit a form to my HOA with a letter from the professional satellite installer stating that it needs to go on the roof. I then would have to wait till my HOA decides to meet up with me to discuss this. What a bunch of crap!

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
In almost all cases for detatched family homes, roof and exterior of a home constitute "exclusive use" and come under the FCC regulations. Bottom line is that they can jump up and down, but they can't prevent you from putting up a roof antenna, as long as it doesn't go 12' higher than the roofline.

Read the FCC otard regulations, you don't have to put up with their BS. They may not unreasonably increase cost, prevent you from receiving a decent signal, etc etc. They're trying intimidation tactics; don't let them get away with it! If they're increasing your cost by requiring you to call experts to come out and deem your signal acceptable, that is definitely unreasonable.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by koberlin1
They responded with an 8 page thick pamphlet of guidlines for installation (it seems I am not the only one requesting). It seems that I can do what I want if I am installing in exclusive areas (areas I own....attic, balcony, etc) but there are still "guidlines" for exclusive area installation as well. If I want to install in common areas (ie: the roof, side of house) they need a proposal and letter from a professional stating that the roof is the only way I can recieve a decent quality signal.

This sucks and so do they! I own my friggin house! I know my rights!

...Next Wednesday I am going to have the antenna (4221) mounted (by a great local company called Ameristat") on a mast starting in my back patio and it will go up as much as 10 feet above the roofline. It will not be touching "their" exterior house wall or "their" roof. If they have anything to say about it they can answer to the FCC!

...I will now have to have a survey done to see where the satellite could be installed for an "acceptable quality signal" (quoted from my HOA guidelines) and my guess is that it will most likely have to be on the roof. I will then have to submit a form to my HOA with a letter from the professional satellite installer stating that it needs to go on the roof. I then would have to wait till my HOA decides to meet up with me to discuss this. What a bunch of crap!
Read the FCC guidelines and rules. Read them carefully.

Quote me the section where it says that the HOA can restrict you from installing a dish or antenna on an exclusive use area.

Quote me the section where it says that the burden is on you to demonstrate that another antenna location would provide acceptable signal strength.

Quote me the section where it says the HOA can delay you from installing your antenna.

Even if a court or the FCC upheld your HOA's decision (unlikely) you would have a reasonable period of time to come into compliance with their request.

Until such time, don't spend a dime to meet HOA guidelines. Put your antenna on your roof. Put your dish there, too. Refuse the HOA permission to enter your property to conduct signal testing. The burden of proof is on them that their restrictions don't prevent you from receiving an acceptable signal, and you don't have to let them on your property to obtain that proof.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Have you gone to www.antennaweb.org and entered your address/zipcode to get a list of the local digital TV channels plus color-coded signal strength and antenna pointing direction for each from your location? Do you know your house's elevation?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good news. I called the head of the HOA and he said that they had reviewed the FCC's guidelines and that I could put up an antenna and satellite anywhere I please! Just got the dish installed and watched "Enough" in hidef. What a sight for soar eyes!!

I have to give out props to Mountain Satellite here in San Diego and their installer whom did a superb 4 hour install job with the dish. I am getting the 4221 for the antenna. Hoping to pull in all local DTV stations (however, they are getting shot from 3 different southern locations) and LA stations as well...I will post the results for anyone interested. Antenna will get installed Tuesday in time for the ABC hidef finals!! YEAAA BABBBYYY!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.