AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I have a full HD theater in the basement, and that's where we watch the blu rays and other HD stuff that matters. We need a new tv for the living room where we, the wife mostly, watch every day sit coms and the news. I do, however, watch a lot of sportscenter type of shows. So reading tiny script clearly is important, especially in fast moving ribbons at the bottom of the page. We need something that is going to be clear and bright. We need a 46 inch size since that is as big as we can put above out fireplace, so nothing too big.

Our tv's programming is mostly just OTA channels, so it has to have a tuner in it.

I'd like to have something that will last a long time, and be a good "bang for the buck" set. Which models would you recommend? I'd like to stay around $700 if possible. I'd rather sink my money in my theater if more than that, but I just can't go to the basement and fire up the pj for the morning news with my coffee, so this tv is important.

Thanks for any and all advise.

Jeremiah

·
Registered
44 Posts
Get a used Samsung or Mitsubishi DLP 1080P, you can pick up 50"+ units in excellent condition for under $700 easy.

Not really up on every model number out there if that's what you are after.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billz260 /forum/post/20802381

Get a used Samsung or Mitsubishi DLP 1080P, you can pick up 50"+ units in excellent condition for under $700 easy.

Not really up on every model number out there if that's what you are after.

Why DLP? This is an LCD Forum. Why used? You can get a new 46" for that price if you shop around.

And, I guess you didn't read the Thread Starter's needs very well. How many times have you seen a DLP mounted above a fireplace? That would be VERY awkward.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiahm /forum/post/20802348

Ok guys, I have a full HD theater in the basement, and that's where we watch the blu rays and other HD stuff that matters. We need a new tv for the living room where we, the wife mostly, watch every day sit coms and the news. I do, however, watch a lot of sportscenter type of shows. So reading tiny script clearly is important, especially in fast moving ribbons at the bottom of the page. We need something that is going to be clear and bright. We need a 46 inch size since that is as big as we can put above out fireplace, so nothing too big.

Our tv's programming is mostly just OTA channels, so it has to have a tuner in it.

I'd like to have something that will last a long time, and be a good "bang for the buck" set. Which models would you recommend? I'd like to stay around $700 if possible. I'd rather sink my money in my theater if more than that, but I just can't go to the basement and fire up the pj for the morning news with my coffee, so this tv is important.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Jeremiah

My recommendation would be a 46" Sony EX500. It's 1080p and 120hz. The EX500 is one of the best reviewed TVs in its price range ever on this Forum. A close second would be the Samsung D630. Both would do very well to satisfy your needs.

By the way, all TVs have HD tuners these days. Otherwise, they would be called monitors. Just a little FYI.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If you want a 46 incher with more modern streaming features, the Sony KDL-46EX720 and the Samsung UN46D6000 are two well-reviewed mid-range models.

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...DTV-Review.htm

http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...0-led-lcd-hdtv

$700 is a little dicey for a 46 inch set. But if your budget expanded to 1000-1200, you'd have loads of good-performance options.

If you want to go cheaper and eschew the future-proofing internet connectivity, the Sony 46BX420 or the Samsung LN46D550 might do the trick for you, a lot closer to your stated $700 range.

·
Registered
12,691 Posts
Samsung LN46D550 or LN46D630. Depends on whether 120Hz and additional picture settings are useful to you.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been looking into the models listed above, and I must say, it looks like you guys have gone above and beyond of just giving a good starting point. I may end up with one the models listed above.

Can you guys clue me in on the 60/120 hz spec? I'm assuming that the frequency the screen changes is helpful in fast motion scenes, and in stat tickers on the bottom of the screen racing past and the ability to keep text clear. I was assuming that I wouldn't be happy with the lowest ones at 60 hz, and I was assuming that I would need 120 to be happy. Am I assuming right? This question stems from the last line in the above post. I wouldn't 120 hz be useful to me? Could I get by without it? Those 60hz models sure are cheaper. Will a 60 be good enough for grays anatomy or any of the other bazillion drama queen shows that my wife watches?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought a 42 inch 60hz LG LCD a couple of weeks ago. My wife and I use it only for TV shows and movies and have had absolutely no problems with 60hz. From what I've heard 120hz is really useful for watching sports and playing games, but not necessary for TV shows and movies.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiahm /forum/post/20809027

I've been looking into the models listed above, and I must say, it looks like you guys have gone above and beyond of just giving a good starting point. I may end up with one the models listed above.

Can you guys clue me in on the 60/120 hz spec? I'm assuming that the frequency the screen changes is helpful in fast motion scenes, and in stat tickers on the bottom of the screen racing past and the ability to keep text clear. I was assuming that I wouldn't be happy with the lowest ones at 60 hz, and I was assuming that I would need 120 to be happy. Am I assuming right? This question stems from the last line in the above post. I wouldn't 120 hz be useful to me? Could I get by without it? Those 60hz models sure are cheaper. Will a 60 be good enough for grays anatomy or any of the other bazillion drama queen shows that my wife watches?

It all depends on what kind of material you're watching. SD tv is shot at 30fps. HD video is shot at 60 fps. Therefore, if all you watch is television, a 60hz television is all you'd need. It will double the frames on 30fps material, and pass 60fps material without any changes.

120hz comes in handy when you want to watch 24fps material, such as movies on blu-ray. 120 is an even multiple of 24, and so can pass 24fps material by quintupling the frames. A 60hz television would have to use a complicated mathematical algorithm (called 3:2 pulldown) to choose when to add or drop frames. The result is a rather juddery image, especially on panning shots.

I had a 60hz television for 4 years. I could see the judder on film, but it wasn't that bad. There was no issue whatsoever on TV material. I now have a 120hz television. Blu-Ray video is much less juddery - it now has only the native judder of a low frame rate such as 24p.

But honestly, it isn't all that big a deal. If you find a 60hz set you like and the price differential is truly that big, go for it. CERTAINLY don't pay a premium for anything over 120hz. It's all marketing gobbledeygook beyond that point.

Realistically though, anything under 120hz will probably be a budget model that suffers in other more important areas of performance as well, such as black level and color accuracy. The BX420 listed above was a budget model at 60hz that reviews say is not lackluster in those areas. Checking reviews is critical.

BTW, the refresh rate of your display will have nothing to do with whether gaming or sports on your LCD television look good. A game console connected via HDMI puts out a 60hz image. A cable box or OTA tuner will put out a 30 or 60hz image. All modern HDTVs will handle this, regardless of their refresh rate, just fine. What matters is response time, not refresh rate. Response time is the ability of a pixel to go from open (bright) to closed (dim) within a short amount of time. The average response time on a modern LCD pixel is something like 3 or 4 milliseconds. Very fast motion of an object across the image might be faster than this response time can capture, causing blurring or ghosting. I should say, I have never once noticed any ghosting or blurring on my Sony KDL-52EX700.

There is very little difference among current LCD displays on response time. Most models use panels from the same 2 manufacturers (Sharp and Samsung). The physical characteristics of these panels are mostly similar. Again, good reviews should mention if there is any blurring caused by slow LCD response times.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Jeremiah,

My daughter-in-law just purchase a 47" Vizio with all bells and whistles, including local dimming, for just about the same price you quoted. She purchased it a membership warehouse store that allows returns for up to 90 days.

So far she loves it, and the local dimming allows for a great, natural looking pq, with deep blacks and white whites. Just like any tv these days, no one knows how long it will last. She purchased the extended warranty offered at that store. In conjunction with the TV factory, plus the one year free extended warranty that you get when you purchase it at that store, she now has a 5 yr warranty for an additional cost of $60. Hard to beat!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just love this site! Thanks for the all the info up until this point.

Another question:

I hear that walmart will take back a tv in all but the most extreme circumstances, even without a receipt (could be total balderdash and heresay though). Is this reason enough to buy from there (well, including the low prices), or is there another better option? How are online dealers for new tv's? Any recommendations for a dealer?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Costco will take it back without a receipt, as long as you purchased it at that store. They will look-up your transaction on their computers. Their motto is "Customer Satisfaction", in other words, no questions asked.

The extended extra year warranty provides that if they cannot repair your TV within a short time, you will be refunded 100% of the price you paid.

I have no experience with Walmart. Being that they are part of the Sam's Warehouse ownership, I prefer not to purchase big ticket items from either of them.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You could get a really nice 46" CCFL driven LCD from Samsung in your price range. The Samsung 46" Full HD 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN46C610. It is a 2010 model, but it is a very nice budget set. (just over the price cap you mentioned.)

Otherwise if you have 1k I would recommend the un46d6000 LED set from them.

Also, This vizio: Vizio 42" 1080p 120Hz 2-D/3-D LCD IPTV (E3D420VX) It's a pretty full featured set, all Vizios apps and 3D, I am pretty sure it comes with glasses too. it's passive 3d, but you said so yourself, its not your theatre. Cool little novelty extra though. (It is under your budget as well.)

I know both of these sets are carried at most stores such as BJs, Costco, etc.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiahm /forum/post/20809816

Where would I find a Samsung C610 today? Walmart and Costco doesn't list them online. I don't know BJ's?

Hmm, not sure. I know BJs has them. BJS.com (Berkley and Jensen) There are tons of them here in the state of NY.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Just a note on VIZIO: If you get one, Costco would be the best place due to their very liberal warranty. VIZIOs are fine as long as they don't fail, but there are plenty of horror stories regarding VIZIO customer service (or lack thereof) on this Forum.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Check on the vizio warning.

Thanks.

Another question now. I looked at tv's the other day in person, and I was surprised when one caught my eye, and after watching it for a minute, I finally noticed that it was a 720p set. I actually saw a few nice looking 720's in the store. With just tv, is 1080 really necessary? There won't be a single blu ray displayed on this device probably in it's lifetime. I may put some dvd's on it for the kids over time, but no HD content outside of hdtv.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/20810266

Just a note on VIZIO: If you get one, Costco would be the best place due to their very liberal warranty. VIZIOs are fine as long as they don't fail, but there are plenty of horror stories regarding VIZIO customer service (or lack thereof) on this Forum.

Jim is correct! I asked the floor manager at Costco about returns. He was very frank in his answer. If a person wants, he can return the defective TV after 90 days, charge another one and return it for a full refund when the original TV is repaired. Most of the time, they get a brand new one, instead of repairing the defective product, anyway.

Sounds like a lot of trouble and kinda nebulous to me. I'm sure some people would take advantage...

I asked which TV brands seem to be more prone to be returned and he was hesitant. He stated that the current 3D TV's seem the be ahead of the 2D, but he also stated they don't get that many returns on any TV.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiahm /forum/post/20809739

Headed to the costco website now.

(Can I say costco on here?)

Be aware that the sets on Costco's website are not consistently available at their walk-in stores as is the case with BB, Sears, etc. In-store stock is more likely than not going to be different sets, there are some good deals but if you want to walk in and take it home, go to the store rather than expecting stuff on the website to be for sale at your local warehouse.

In store stock will also vary tremendously from store to store dependent on geographical location. I've seen different sets in different Costcos as close as 10 miles from each other.

Also, just because a store will do a return without a receipt (actually most will) try to keep the receipt anyway as it really makes returns a lot easier on both you and the retailer.

I've always been doubtful about sets with tons of features priced the same as base models from other mfgs.

Corners have to be cut somewhere to achieve unusually low price points on feature-laden sets, most likely in areas relating to reliability.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts