AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a esoteric audio relay for switching balanced (DPDT) audio from a Meridian 800 and 861 to Halcro Amps. This is a serious signal path with $1000 interconnects.

The relay in question would have to sound really transparent.

any voltage for the coil is OK.

any size or wiring configuration is OK as well

Thanx

·
Registered
21,355 Posts
How about Ed Meitner's $3200 retail Switchman 2, just reviewed by John Kotches at the Secrets of Home Theater website. Has both multi-channel and single-ended inputs and outputs and per John, its as transparent as you're gonna get. Its a preamp/switcher.

·
Registered
21,355 Posts
Woops! Problem, given your likely couch potato customer, is a large wired manual remote control only. I don't think its programmable via IR or RF. DARN!!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well im looking for just the relay itself. I have sorta decided on a part today. We will see.

I can make a really esoteric A/B switch for $200-300. With hand selected parts !

Im just wondering if anyone had any experence doing this.

The problem I have is that YES it must be controlable.

Here is the problem.

A Meridian 800 is a outragous CD machine with a 72bit precision digital volume control. Direct DAC output from 24/96 DAC's with de jittering and upsampling built in. You simply drive an amp with it directly balanced. Problem is if your in a home theater enviroment where the 861 is also present your main L R are connected to the 861. You either get up, unplug the L R from the 861 and replug them into the 800 (True manual) or you automate it using the existing Crestron control system.

This is a product I have been asked for numerous times.

I am now going to make it.

So any suggestions on relays would be good.

Ive decided on a esoteric mecury wetted relay because of the LOW contact resistance (30mOhms) and LONG life at that rating. Also of course construction, metals, contact materials, shielding, bandwidth and other considerations. My only concern is using Mecury as a metal. I have no direct experence with this in the audio chain. However the ultra low contact resistance and hyper long life deserves at least a listening.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I think you would be better off with a gold crosspoint reed relay with a dc coil. mercury wetting while lowering contact resistance will most likely cause microdiode effects at low audio levels.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Chris,

I made a balanced swtich box using relays from NEC. The contacts are made of silver and gold. I don't think you need really large contacts since only small signal is being switched so there is no arcing on the contacts. The NEC realys that I used were used in telecom equipment where the signal is only a few mv. Similar relays are used in Wadia, EAD, ML and other high end mfg. Takamisawa, Omron, NEC are some of the popular brands that you find in Digikey.com.

Rich

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The mercury relays do indeed have silver and gold.

Im not sure about the mercury. If the gold contacts are in contact then the diode effects are quite small. HOWEVER the surface of the gold being covered with mercury might be a problem, then again it might also be quite good.

I guess in perfect world I would want a vacuum or gas filled hermetically sealed relay with very low contact resistance using high purity silver contacts and leads. I would want it to be low voltage and latching so I don't have to continue to supply voltage and obviously the noise from that supply. I would want a DPDT with serious bandwidth and excellent shielding. A metal case for shielding reasons. I would want mil spec, highest reliability. I would point to point wire with awesome interconnect wire so it need not be PC board mount.

Of course this is not a perfect world. I will however continue looking for this part. This is a important device because it would also be the corner stone to a VERY killer audio switch. With a wide enough bandwidth it could also be a digital audio or video switch. Even SDI.

As I look I will post here about my finds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.