AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder /forum/post/16995880


I want to get the coax run from my dish location to the AV room in my new house. I want to run a dual RG6 with a ground wire, anyone know of a good place to buy this. I guess I could make 2 runs of single RG6 with ground.

I used the quad-shield rg6 from Monoprice.com. Great price, it isn't dual run and does not have a ground wire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder /forum/post/16998718


You have to have a ground wire on it to keep Dish Net happy

It isn't that you need to have a ground wire on the cable. The satellite dish needs to be bonded to the building's ground, outside the house. And it isn't to make Dish Network happy. It is to be in compliance with the National Electric code.


A separate ground wire running from the dish to bond with house ground is perfectly fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn /forum/post/16998916


It isn't that you need to have a ground wire on the cable. The satellite dish needs to be bonded to the building's ground, outside the house. And it isn't to make Dish Network happy. It is to be in compliance with the National Electric code.


A separate ground wire running from the dish to bond with house ground is perfectly fine.

Yes it could be a seperate wire. But the dish will be mounted about 70' from both the AV Room and the breaker panel wich is right next the AV room. That is the only place I can ground it at. So it is just simpler to have it all in one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder /forum/post/16998971


Yes it could be a seperate wire. But the dish will be mounted about 70' from both the AV Room and the breaker panel wich is right next the AV room. That is the only place I can ground it at. So it is just simpler to have it all in one.

You may have missed the part where it is to be bonded OUTSIDE of the house, or within 5 feet of where it enters the house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn /forum/post/16999013


You may have missed the part where it is to be bonded OUTSIDE of the house, or within 5 feet of where it enters the house.

But it dosn't have to be, you can do it at the breaker box, that is the way my current house is (dish net wired it). Why would I want to drive another ground rod just for the sat dish.


I read the code a litte further and it is pretty much impossible to do what they want. You can use a seperate ground rod, has to be to the buildings ground. Well the buildings ground is attacehd at the breaker box, the breaker box is further the 5' from any exterior wall. So as you can see it is not even possible. Oh and the meter is about 200' from the house on a seperate panel that feeds the house, that is where the actuall grounding rods are.


this is the kind of cable I was looking at http://www.prosatellitesupply.com/co...l_w_ground.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder /forum/post/16999048


But it dosn't have to be...

The NEC requirements are just that -- requirements. Not a "do it if you want to" type of thing. Just because a satellite installer does something other than what code calls for (usually because there is more work involved than he wants to do) doesn't mean that it is alright. Satellite companies and cable companies have been cumulatively fined millions of dollars for grounding violations.


But, it's your house. The purpose of the ground wire is to give any electrical buildup on the dish a pathway to ground. Electrical buildup from some lightning either close or several miles away or other causes. The voltage level can be rather high. If you want to have that voltage running through your walls and floors, I guess it's up to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn /forum/post/16999338


The NEC requirements are just that -- requirements. Not a "do it if you want to" type of thing. Just because a satellite installer does something other than what code calls for (usually because there is more work involved than he wants to do) doesn't mean that it is alright. Satellite companies and cable companies have been cumulatively fined millions of dollars for grounding violations.


But, it's your house. The purpose of the ground wire is to give any electrical buildup on the dish a pathway to ground. Electrical buildup from some lightning either close or several miles away or other causes. The voltage level can be rather high. If you want to have that voltage running through your walls and floors, I guess it's up to you.

I know all to well about building code, I am a designer and buider. I like many codes they are impossible to meet. Like I said the only way to connect the the building ground is to hook in at the breaker panel. Well the breaker panel is about 10' inside of the house. So it is impossible to meet their 5' requirement. The suits love to right these codes but few have any real experience with trying to build with them.


For isntance why is the dish any more of a problem then the spot light that is mounted right next to it? The light is grounded through the ground wire, that yes runs through your walls.


I don't argue that the code is what it is, just that you can't always give them exactly what they want, that doesn't mean it is any less safe.


All that I really wanted was a place to buy a quality cable at a good price....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder /forum/post/16999543


All that I really wanted was a place to buy a quality cable at a good price....

Go with the one you linked to. Just get the black one. If it were me, though, I would pull in 2 of those from the roof to the closet. Gives yourself more flexibility now and in the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder /forum/post/16999543


For isntance why is the dish any more of a problem then the spot light that is mounted right next to it? The light is grounded through the ground wire, that yes runs through your walls.

The light doesn't have a large surface area that sits up on the roof collecting anything that comes around.


I know code can sometimes be a royal PITA and difficult to comply with, but, like you said, it is what it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn /forum/post/16999988


Go with the one you linked to. Just get the black one. If it were me, though, I would pull in 2 of those from the roof to the closet. Gives yourself more flexibility now and in the future.

I was hoping that by going the double cable I would have and extra, only using one now. But you are right, it is way easier to run extra now.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top