AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i found this 16 gauge , 100ft speakerwire at radioshack, heres a link:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

is it a good cable to buy? its right near my house so it would be easy for me to buy this cable, or its a bad quality cable? i just got my ONKYO SR606 reciever so im changing the speakwire from the crappy 24 gauge speaker wire that came with my old onkyo S790 speakers.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/14221577

hey guys i found this 16 gauge , 100ft speakerwire at radioshack, heres a link:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

is it a good cable to buy? its right near my house so it would be easy for me to buy this cable, or its a bad quality cable? i just got my ONKYO SR606 reciever so im changing the speakwire from the crappy 24 gauge speaker wire that came with my old onkyo S790 speakers.

you should be fine!

i've been using 35 ' runs of 16 awg from my local hardware store for years. works great!

if you're running wire more than 40', move up to 14 awg.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yeah, it looks good. Might find it a tad cheaper at Lowes Depot, but with gas prices lately depending on how far you have to travel, it may even out.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks alot guys, im hooking up my new SR606 right now and connecting the brand new 16 gauge speaker wires for all my speakers
cant wait to test the reciever and the performance, thanks again.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/14222340

thanks alot guys, im hooking up my new SR606 right now and connecting the brand new 16 gauge speaker wires for all my speakers
cant wait to test the reciever and the performance, thanks again.

just read a review of 606 in aug. '08 ish of home theater mag; author says he considers it "far and away, the best avr under $600...", then includes $1k.

have fun!!

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
guys i hooked up everything, this reciever is unbelivable, so many features. im reading up into the manual as always as much as i can
checking all the features out, oh btw.. its HUGE haha
bigger than my old s790
anyway i did the calibration already, it went great. the speaker wire i linked to above is fine aswell, id recommand it. ill post more later on how it performs, so far its unbelivable tho
i hooked up the PS3 into the reciever and then output to the TV so i can get DOLBY TRUEHD since its only via HDMI.

my only concern atm is that basically, the hdmi cable i have running from the PS3 into the Reciever is a HDMI 1.3a Model, however the Hdmi cable that i have running from the Reciever's OUT into the TV is a regular HDMI cable that i bought a year ago from monoprice but in other words , i doubt its a HDMI 1.3a model. do you think im loosing any picture/sound quality because im using an older HDMI cable in the hookup? i have another HDMI 1.3a cable but i use that for my CABLE TV box, i was thinking to care less about the cable box and use the older HDMI cable for the cable TV but it ended up too short to reach the cable box so i have to use the HDMI 1.3a cable for the Cable box since its a longer cable.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont understand 1 thing, in the reciever settings, i cant find where to enable/disable the CINEMAFILTER, and the OR EQ features, aswell as the Auddysey DYNAMIC EQ(I have in settings my EQ set to "Auddysey". is that the AUDDYSEY DYNAMIC EQ in other words? ) all the manual says is it explains about each feature but it doesnt say where its located under which category in the reciever's settings

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Are you sure it has OR EQ? That's usually reserved for HTIB receivers.

The rest should be under the Audio menu by pushing the Audio button and scrolling through. I'm looking at page 69 of the manual.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh i didnt know that, but either way i was looking for the CINEMAFILTER feature, u have that enabled right tulpa? i found it under the AUDIO Menu, oh and the DYNAMIC EQ is set to ON so i guess im good
one thing i dont know what to set on is what to set TREBLE/BASS on. Tulpa, could you tell me what do you have bass and treble set on?

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and 1 thing, regarding the speaker wire, u know after i used up all the 100ft of the cable, there was text written on the Plastic Roll where the cable was wrapped around and it said "Power Limited Cable", so my question is, did i make a mistake or that doesnt matter that the speaker wire that im using is a power limited cable?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/14224830

oh i didnt know that, but either way i was looking for the CINEMAFILTER feature, u have that enabled right tulpa? i found it under the AUDIO Menu, oh and the DYNAMIC EQ is set to ON so i guess im good
one thing i dont know what to set on is what to set TREBLE/BASS on. Tulpa, could you tell me what do you have bass and treble set on?

I usually don't have Cinemafilter enabled. I don't personally like it.

I can't remember what bass and treble is set on mine, but the treble is pretty high because I like a brighter, sharper sound. But don't go by my settings, because you may not like it. Just adjust it to your taste. That's what it's there for.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks tulpa, yea i know, right now i have treble set to 6 and bass set to 0 because i dont want any Additional bass since i have a decent onkyo subwoofer connected and i live in an apartment. (but should bass be set higher from 0 atleast since i have TREBLE set to 6? )

can you please answer my question regardin the speaker wire?(The speaker wire saying "Power Limited Cable")

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/14225136

Thanks tulpa, yea i know, right now i have treble set to 6 and bass set to 0 because i dont want any Additional bass since i have a decent onkyo subwoofer connected and i live in an apartment.

can you please answer my question regardin the speaker wire?(The speaker wire saying "Power Limited Cable")

if that was something to be concerned about it would have been on the front or on packaging where you would have seen it before buying. i would disregard it.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I think it has to do with the voltage the wire is designed to handle. I believe power limited means it can't be used for higher voltage applications. Speakers are comparatively low, so it should be fine.

If it's labeled as speaker wire, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/14225136

(but should bass be set higher from 0 atleast since i have TREBLE set to 6? )

Not if you don't want it to be higher.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok thanks guys. btw i do notice how the sound becomes more clear and bright when treble is pumped up
ill leavei at 6 for now. so far im using DOLBY D EX for all my sources(when available).

There is 1 new feature i noticed and thats the theatrical dimensional sound mode, and it seems to be available whenever DOLBY D is available. my question is, Did you guys give that mode a try or DOLBY D is better overall in MOST cases?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/14225257

There is 1 new feature i noticed and thats the theatrical dimensional sound mode, and it seems to be available whenever DOLBY D is available. my question is, Did you guys give that mode a try or DOLBY D is better overall in MOST cases?

That's pretty much like your treble/bass. Depends on what you like.

I use ProLogicIIx for all movie/TV sources, including stereo and Dolby Digital sources (DVDs, regular TV, High-def channels.) I don't fiddle with it too much.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts