AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thank you for reading,

I'm purchasing an Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver for my 5.1 Home Theatre. I own a PS3 and a 46" Toshiba 1080p television. The room is small-medium size.

I've been recently looking at purchasing some MartinLogan electro-static speakers for the front since I love the sound of them (I am aware of the sweet spot issue which isn't much of an issue in my small room). I'm considering either the Source or Purity models. I know the Purity is the better choice since it has a built-in amp, but the price is a bit more than the Source. I also would like to avoid getting a separate subwoofer if possible (for the time-being), and the Purity bass sounded great to me w/out the sub.

My question is: since I'm getting a rather high-end receiver (in my opinion) that outputs 130w and 8 ohms, would the ML Source speakers work for my set-up? Or should I fork over the extra $$ for the ML Purity speakers?

Will these speakers benefit from my choice of receiver or should I consider other speaker brands? I have looked into Pinnacle speakers and Klipsch.

Thank you. I appreciate your responses and suggestions.

P.S. If I go with the ML Source speakers, do I need an additional amp to power them with the Onkyo receiver?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Only one way to find out...

There are a good # of electrostat owners who are using a receiver to power them. Not necessarily the majority, but they definitely are out there. Luckily for you, the 805 has a healthy amp section, if not as beefy as some multi thousand $ monster amps some people hook up.

My guess is it will work fine. Make sure to give the 805 plenty of breathing room, and possibly fans, if low impedances make it strain by any chance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts