AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for three speakers to mount on the wall behind my 12' acoustically transparent screen. My problem is that I don't have a whole lot of space to work with. I'd like to find speakers that are less than 5" deep, if possible. I can't do in-walls, since this is an apartment building. My budget is only about $100 per speaker.

I'd pick up three Bic DV62 CLR-S's or Athena as-c1's if they weren't ~10" deep...

Any suggestions for basic but good speakers with decent sized drivers (maybe 5" or 6") that aren't too deep? Thanks!

·
Registered
27,208 Posts
What type of acoustically transparent screen do you have? Unless it is a Screen Research screen, you will need at least 8" between the front of your speaker and the screen or risk acoustical issues.

If I were you, I'd check out the Snell in-walls.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Might want to consider the Klispch SLX speakers, Athena WS-60's , and Energy Take FPS . All three speakers are under 5 inches of depth, and are all bookshelf speakers, so sub is just about a must.

BTW Jeff he mentioned that he cannot do inwalls because of the apartment, so it looks like the Snell's are out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The M&K MP-150. Check them out (5" deep I think). I have three identical speakers mounted on the wall above my LCD rear projection tv. They have a 7 degree downward angle, so they are aimed right at my head even though they are mounted at about 6.5 feet high. They sound great and look great. I have some pics at home that I have been meaning to post. They are 4 ohm speakers, and they are pretty true to the source, so you will need a good amplifier and front end or you will hear it. I recommend what I bought (of course), an Anthem MCA 30, letting my Pio Elite run surrounds (SS-150s) and zone 2, and a good DVD player like the 3910 if you want some good DVD-A.

Surprisingly, they are performing very well in 2 channel (well, 2.1). I am sure that any Paradigm studio line or ML would put them to shame in a nice treated room though. But for HT, I am completely drawn into the movie and the action impact is incredible.

I got the speakers in white to match my crown moldings and other trim paint (they also come in silver and black). They have biwire posts, but I can't figure out why on a speaker that is only rated down to 80Hz. I am using the M&K MX350 sub (dual 12s sealed push pull). I had to place the sub up front to get a good splice with the satellites.

Let me know if you have any more questions, as I haven't met or heard of anyone else who owns these speakers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure what to go with... I really hate the "small speaker" sound, especially when used to fill a whole room. Plus, I likely won't be buying a sub. I think I'd go with three Athena ws-60s if their drivers were larger than 3.5"... that really doesn't seem large enough to make good sound, though I'm new at this. I can't really afford anything much over $200 per speaker...

I'm just looking for sound quality that's a little bit better and a little more detailed than your typical sub/sat combo or cheap bookshelf speakers.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Your stuck in a rut then, change up your design, or change your budget, something has to give.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think that a sub is the only way that you will even have options for this install. I can't even imagine my HT without my sub(s). Actually I can. When I first started piecing my system together I had a sony/bose/yamaha 5.zero system. "Hmmm, what's missing from those jets in Top Gun?" :confused:

Maybe you should look at moving the screen forward or maybe placing the speakers in front of the screen on stands/

·
Registered
50 Posts
Another two to look at are Paradigms OW Monitor 5s and NHT L5s.

HTH,

Spyder

·
Registered
222 Posts
Jbl S36's have a 6" driver and can be found near your budget. They are at your limit of 5" when mounted flat against the wall, though.

Brandon

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Although you guys have given some excellent suggestions, the initial post says the budget is $100 per speaker...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I could go higher than $100 per speaker now that I know my options are limited, but certainly not more than $200-$300 per speaker.

I picked up a pair of Athena WS-60s the other day from best buy (which has a 30 day return policy.) They're OK, but not great. I got them for $180 each. I'm sure I can do better for the money. I think I'm going to try out the JBL S36IIs that were suggested. The 5" depth is fine. I could probably even do 6" if I had to.

Does anyone have any opinions on the S36's from JBL? I couldn't find much on the forums... They look more promising than the Athena's I have.

Thanks very much to everyone who made suggestions and gave me links. That really gave me a good sense of what's out there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.