AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upgrading my HT. Have strict restrictions on speaker size so I'm considering a couple of (the higher-end) satellite systems. Luckily no significant size restrictions on the sub. Goal with the system is very defined sound at medium listening volumes, 80% movies, 10% music. The two satellite systems I'm looking at are:

- B&W M-1 speakers (i.e. the MT-50 system but with a hand-picked sub.)

- KEF HTS/HTC, or egg, speakers (i.e. the KHT3005 SE system but with a hand-picked sub.)

Medium sized living room, budget for the sub $500 give or take. Of course if there's something good that's less expensive I wouldn't complain ; )

Goals for the sub are:

- Good range and sq in the higher freq's to accommodate a nice crossover with the smaller satellites.

- Good definition vs big volume. I've had numerous experiences of going to hear a friends' new HT systems with them thrilled that the sub could shake the walls - which it did. Happy for them of course but to me it usually sounded boomy … i.e I'm thinking "that's not a sound effect, that's a string line in the soundtrack, how come all I hear are blurry thumps instead of the actual notes? Quite often even drums have a pitch to them and I like hear that."

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
 Epik Legend . Dual 12" driver sealed sub, well known for SQ with music, yet has lots of output for HT usage. Plenty of high end response for the M1s. $500 + shipping.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts