AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I am getting a new DVD player, a panasonic RP-62. But I don't have any surround sound system just yet. I was wondering what is the best sounding, or best whatever with a price range of $150-$250? I am plannning on getting it, but I have no idea what I should do, since I am very new to Home Theater Hardware. :) Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I would raise my budget and get a Videologic Digitheatre DTS from www.icuii.com

This (originally $650) system blurred the line between "Home Theater in a Box" and "Multimedia 5.1" system, and has long been the best 5.1 multimedia system out there. At half price, this represents an incredible value when compared to equally priced "Real" home theater in a box systems!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Hmm are you joking? Surely you must have an idea what even a decent receiver costs these days. Hey I wanna sportbike that does 170 + mph

and low 10 sec quarter miles. What can I get for $500?...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Read this review. It will make you very happy.

This a review from this board

http://forums14.consumerreview.com/c...08.5bG1aJyybj9 ^[email protected]

DD-EX and DTS-ES: The 811 detected DTS-Discrete flags quite easily and put the receiver in the right processing mode. I was astounded at the 811s processing capabilities in the ES mode. Right from the opening battle scene to the arena scenes, not once did the processor seemed to give up or gasp for breath. The 6.1 soundstage was very impressive and it made me feel I was right in the arena amidst the Tigers.

DD-EX was no exception and it handled the pod-race thinking it was a $1000 receiver. DD-EX and DTS-ES were the main reasons for me even taking a look at this receiver and it did not disappoint me one bit here. (8 out of 10 here)

As a PRE/PRO: Only one thing remained in my mind, how would this receiver do as a pre/pro? Well, I hooked the 811 to the external in on the 4802 and after about figuring out different things, I finally got it right. I looked for a couple of things initially for noise, hiss, hum, etc. and only at about close to reference levels did I start getting a hiss but no humming or any other noise. I just wanted to see how 2-Channel music sounded and if made any difference. Diana Krall just sounded wonderful when played through the 4802s amp. There was more detail revealed thru the external amp than the 811s own amp. I did this test for one purpose only, what did Pioneer sacrifice to sell this receiver for $400? And the answer is not the processing but the amp. That made me very happy.

Pros: Has everything you’d want in a $400 receiver and more. DD-EX, DTS-ES, 96/24 DACs, enough S-Video ins/outs and component video ins/outs, front, A/V ins including digital in, etc.

Cons: No OSD, a big one I thought. The look and feel of the receiver is of a Pioneer, which it is but I don’t know why I was expecting anything different. The remote control could be better and the amp although not weak by any standards could have been better of had it been more healthy. A trademark for all receivers in this range.

Conclusion: A truly amazing receiver for the price. More amazing is the fact that this could be used as a beginner pre/pro with a decent amp and I guarantee this that it will sound better than a whole bunch of receivers out there. So when you audition this receiver, keep one thing in mind, it only costs $400 and in some cases $300 and that’s what makes this receiver an incredible buy. IMHO, this receiver did much better than he Onkyo 600 in every department I tried.

You can find this receiver at shopsunshine.com for $295.95. I'm buying one later this year.

http://shopsunshine.com/Item.asp?Pid...SX-D811S345234

:)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hayabusa
lol are you guys serious?? Is there anything worth getting below $500??
Just a qwik question...Do you have anything else besides a DVD player?

Like front speakers, center channel, surround speakers, subwoofer, receiver, wiring, cables??...and ur asking if we're serious!:p

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I'd save up some more cash and wait a while if i were you. For the little amount you can spend right now all your gonna get is crap. Sorry to sound harsh but it's true. If you had double the money you've got, then i'd say you could probably get an HTB or something.

·
Registered
674 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Yosh70

Just a qwik question...Do you have anything else besides a DVD player?

Like front speakers, center channel, surround speakers, subwoofer, receiver, wiring, cables??...and ur, asking if we're serious!:p
yup, im serious. Im getting the panasonic rp-62 this week. and like i said before im just getting into this whole thing. I'd say the only good thing that i have right now is the Toshiba 62' Rear projection HDTV

·
Registered
193 Posts
Check out this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=strde685

This is from a coworker of mine who's quite happy with the low-end receiver and speakers he just bought from CircuitCity. With the rebates, it squeaks into your budget ($200 for the receiver, plus $30 after a $150 rebate on the speakers).

·
Registered
279 Posts
Also try the Panasonic SA-HE70. It maybe the best low end A/V receiver with Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic II on the market right now. It's under $200.00 at circuit city.

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.