AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just connected my gaming PC to my HDTV and would like to hook it up to my Sony DD6.1 receiver (by optical or coax digital).

I don't think getting regular stereo (i.e. winamp) and DD5.1 dvdplayers to work will be an issue, but I'm not sure how well PC gaming surround and HT surround mesh.

Do any sound cards support surround sound from within a game? Does the game have to use DD or DTS, or can a 4+ channel signal from A3D or EAX be transmitted across the toslink and sent to the appropriate speakers?

Can anybody recommend a good card for this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I am using an Audigy2 card which supports DD EX/DTS ES 7.1 through mini,coax,optical depending on the card. But, for most games EAX is the surround sound of choice. This requires an analog connection to your reciever. I use 3 ring mini-jack to coax to my receiver and play games in 7.1 EAX HD. The newest games use this and the surround sound is excellent.

Knights of the Old Republic

Tomb Raider

Call of Duty

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So to get 3D from a game, I'll have to run a second line? When you say "3 ring mini-jack to coax" do you mean 1/8" (i.e. headphone) to red and white RCAs?

My preamp has an input cluster that has three lefts, three rights, a center, and a sub, but it seems stupid to use that and do the DA conversion inside the noisy case, when I have a perfectly good toslink connection that can handle all the channels.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Yes, unless you get a motherboard that does DD real time conversion like the Nvida Nforce boards you will need 2 seperate connections. One for DD/DTS via coax or optical and one for gaming.

For gaming, it will depend on if you want stereo, 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1, but in my 7.1 setup I use 2x 3ring 1/8" and 1x 2ring 1/8" to RCA wires. The 3 "rings" are found on camcorders the have 3 black circles around the 1/8" and the other end has 3 RCA (red, white, and yellow). That will be a total of 8 RCA for a 7.1. Hope that makes better sense.

EAX tends to be a lot less compressed than DD/DTS so it is done by the soundcard before sending it to the receiver. The Audigy2 cards are THX certified and also have DVD-A. They can also be SPL calibrated and have decent bass management.

If they had an all in one connection I would be happy! I have complained to Creative about this, so if more people did, they might work on a one connection solution.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just found out about the nForce2 Soundstorm DD encoding from another thread. Since I planned on getting a new nForce2 mobo this week anyway, I think I'll just spend the extra $40 to get the A7N8X-E Deluxe with the Soundstorm chip. And I'll be ready if Gb ethernet ever catches on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gentlemen,

i think i am the right forum. MaxC et al seem to be battling the same gremlins as myself and so i will chip in.

I have just finished pulling my hair out over a TRUST 514DX 5.1 optical/coax card. The card is high quality and i thought would do everthing i wanted. How could it not? It had optical out / optical in /coax out / coax in and 600 other connectors. Guess what? Doesnt support 5.1 over the digital or coax lines!!!!!!!!!!! I am flabberghasted! Is this common of high end cards? Am i missing something? Is there a card that does?

(clearly i am trying to replace my ps2/cd/dvd players with a convergence pc)

ANY comments appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I've seen with the few cards I tried and read here, I gather that 5.1 only works when the soundcard acts as a pass through for you DVD software. You should have a setting somewhere in the soundcard's config utility.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
kwiq is correct- if it has a digital out (spdif or toslink) 5.1 (pre-encoded) will go out unmodified to the receiver, but you need to set the player to that output (instead of analog, which is usually the default). Depending on the card's drivers, you might also have to enable it there as well.

kwiq- the ASUS board is nice, I have the rev2 deluxe board myself, and the E revision is spanky and all, but they don't overclock for crap if you care about that at all. You can't push them much above 200MHz FSB if you care.

You might want to check out the latest from ABIT- specifically the NF7-S rev2.0 or it's recent addition the AN7. Both are decent for overclockers (BIOS and board- although somewhat of a crapshoot I hear for some boards, NF7-S seems better regarded than the newer AN7 as far as success of general overclocks are concerned... somewhere around 215MHz seems average). They also have the MCP-T (aka soundstorm certification) for real-time DD encoding. The AN7 does have coax out *and* in, if for some reason you wanted to input a coax signal to your APU.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.