AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 5.1 setup and am considering a switch to 7.1 since the room is quite large, but need some advice. I can't seem to match my existing surrounds (Energy ESAT). Should I sell them and buy 4 matching surrounds or can I add 2 different speakers as the mid surrounds? I expect that most will say that they should all match, but money is a factor, the ESAT's are paid for, and to be honest I don't hear very much sound (volume) from the backs anyway.

Tell me, is quality really that important in the surrounds?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is quality really that important in the surrounds?

Nobody wants to offer an opinion?

·
Registered
682 Posts
I think the rear surrounds (not the sides) can be whatever you like. You will only hear the occasion gunshot/flyover with them. Unless you listen to 7 channel music, of course.

I installed in-walls for my 2 rears, and while they are the same brand, they are of much lower quality, but I have yet to notice. As long as your side surrounds are a good match, you will be fine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That seems to make sense. My rears are about 5 feet behind my seat while the sides will likely be right beside me and much more noticeable. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Frankly most films hardly use the surround backs in any real meaningful fashion. This may change in the future but as it stands right now I feel that the SB channel(s) are not as critical as conventional surrounds.

My suggestion is if you really want to do the SB simply find some decent dipole surround speakers that match fairly closely to your speakers. Timbre match really isn't as critical as your fronts simply because you'll be hearing them more indirectly.

Could be wrong but that's my few cents of rambling.

Best Regards

KvE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts