·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I keep odd hours I admit.

What's on tv late late at night:

channel:

3: Robert Kiwasaki Rich dads, Make money fast work 5 hours a week paid ad

4: The greatest vitamin world paid ad - Same guy as the place tiny ads paid ad.

5: Worship net... God needs cash, don't just make a donation but sign up for monthly automatic withdrawls.

6: Girls girls girls, call 99 cents a minute and talk to freaky girls in your area who will do anything.

7: Sleep comfort bed paid advertising

8: Conan, but only half conan and half commercials for girls, in your area, that will do anything just 99 cents a minute. Oh, and buy a book for government grants and free money from the question mark suit guy.

9: Your answer is in gods word, jesus is everywhere, call 1 800 give us cash the Jesus telethon.

10: Static... during the day it's public television, one of the channels worth watching.

11: And our fellowship is with the father, and if you want a taste of fellowhip with us and the heavenly love call 1 800 god wants twentys.

12: Paid ad, Some kind of vitamin somethingorother they BS so long and so slow I don't have patience to find out.

13: Ricky lake, the cheating game, lie detector catches cheating spouces.

Then 60 more channels of total cra* I only pay $35 a month for.

Makes me proud to have one of the baddest a** tv's in suburbia. Black level is best with power off on any pj late at night I guess.

I miss having a day job.

Troy

·
Registered
889 Posts
Tell me about it. I'm so close to canceling my cable. I pay 40$ a month and watch about 2 hours a month in the wee hours when I've watched all the 15 or so movies I've rented a week.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still not tired enough, flipping channels...

Body by jake paid ad

Windsor pilates paid ad

Gazelle freestyle workout machine paid ad

QVC

HSN

Platinum crossbow workout machine paid ad

shopNBC

potterstouch.org another religeous thing

community bulletin board

mega memory paid ad

a few channels of iranian tv, hispanic language channels, etc..

alzare male enhacement paid ad

pharmasits choice male prostate formula paid ad

real estate no down payment whatever paid ad

learning program paid ad

nick at night - 3's company

It's all on right now, I didn't make anything up. Tomorrow I cancel cable subscription because there is just no sense in paying for this.

Troy

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
my sentiments exactly, got my cable bill and they inform me that for the privilige of viewing these feeble attempts at insightful programming my basic cable bill is going up, phoned them up and told them to take their cable and stick it..............

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Ever check out Spike (not Lee) TV? Most Extreme Elimination Challenge is good for a laugh or two. :D

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Two words: Get Netflix."

I already am a netflix member. I love it. I think I will up my membership with some of the cable savings.

It's just that I don't always want to watch a movie... Sometimes you just want to relax for 1/2 hour or so. I just don't get why they don't rerun the big programs of the previous day or something.

Tivo? I don't think so. I'd rarely use it so it wouldn't be worth the subscription. Maybe I should take the time to set my fusion hd to record some stuff though.

I really don't watch much tv so I don't even know any of the new shows or what ones might be close to worth watching.

Any reccomendations for new shows to record? Most extreme elimination, never heard of it.. Another fear factor thing?

Troy

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Some 80-odd channels here (more on digital cable service which I haven't subscribed to) with cable modem service, and the monthly bill for it is almost 90 bucks!

I am most definitely NOT getting my money's worth. at least on most channels.

I have literally gone for weeks without turning on a TV set and felt like I missed nothing. But I often turn on the Marquee and watch a good movie.

The only reasons why I don't dump cable entirely:

Cable modem service

The Simpsons

Futurama

Family Guy

The Oblongs

Ren and Stimpy

Teen Titans

Justice League

Cowboy Bebop (but I've seen it enough that every episode is memorized...why keep watching it?)

JAG

Star Trek---any series of it.

Sitting Ducks---when I can catch it. (Rarely)

How much of that is on at any given night?

A pattern emerges....I am more likely to watch animation than anything else.

CJ

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Its worse when you make the decision to get HD (hardware and programming) and when the HD channels advertise something and then don't show it I'm left feeling mugged.

BTW, my delivered-content costs me $70/month, which is a fynn more than my month ISP service.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cool show on Discovery channel. Basically, these 2 special effects guys

spend their time trying to prove/disprove various myths/urban legends/etc.

And if they can't prove it in the way that the myth stated, they try to get the

same result no matter what they need to do. Very interesting show, with

some great laughs becuase these two guys are in their 30's-40's but act

like 5 year olds when it comes to making things blow up (which they do

a lot).

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I watch a lot of discovery channel. Sometimes Mythbusters is good and sometimes it's just too predictable. Like duh, no, of course eelskin wallets don't blank credit cards...

I watch American Chopper etc every once in a while also. Maybe Monster Garage if it's an interesting build and not a pontoon sharkboat, parade float or other such waste of time.

Troy

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
suggestions? "Las Vegas", "Lord of the Manor", "Scrubs"... well, that's it. Oh, and The Simpsons, natch.

Cable bill in Tampa peaked at $110.00 with digital and broadband. Scrapped broadband and got the unadvertised hella-basic cable; monthly bill: $14.00.

Marshall

ps: I undestand the "davinci code" is good

pps: Hey, no fooling, daytime TV will melt your brain. TiVo would be good for you.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
List of TV Shows that dont Suc*!

Teen Titans

Scrubs

Fillmore

Shaolin Showdown

KOTH

Simpsons(Reruns) the new ones stink!

King o' Queens

Masterpiece Theater

This ol' house

Yu Gi Oh (lots o commercials)

I'll list more as i think of them but what you really need is an HTPC Server.

Imagine 3.5 terabytes of media storage, you can record shows to your hearts content and never have to watch Ricki, Jerry, Jenny,maury....etc w/more "Which of these 6 men is my babydaddy? The test results are in"

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pcCinema

Body by jake paid ad

Windsor pilates paid ad

Gazelle freestyle workout machine paid ad

QVC

HSN

Platinum crossbow workout machine paid ad

shopNBC

potterstouch.org another religeous thing

community bulletin board

mega memory paid ad

a few channels of iranian tv, hispanic language channels, etc..

alzare male enhacement paid ad

pharmasits choice male prostate formula paid ad

real estate no down payment whatever paid ad

learning program paid ad
That cable TV lineup and my email seem to have a

lot in common.

And as you can see, this is what came in just

between Noon and 3:30.

http://members.cox.net/buddy_weiser/email.JPG

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I sure wish it was possible to sue spammers for sending me unwanted mail. Connection fee, downloading fee, review fee, archival fee, source tracking fee, paperwork fee, on and on for each sender.

Some of them can be tracked down. I'd make a heck of a second income.

We need a way to stop this spam.

Troy

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Write letters to your congressmen. If they get enough public demand, they'll introduce bills to that effect. With enough support, they will pass and become law.

The first rule is, mung your address. Email harvesting software will pick up an address that's useless, while a human with a few IQ points will be able to figure it out if he or she needs to contact you.

If your right email address is never published to the 'net, it may never get spammed.

I think spamming should be a felony, publishable by death, and the means of death should be that the victim is KICKED to death.

CJ

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I never use my new address on the net, but my old address which still forwards was harvested from usenet (my guess) and someone must have manually decoded the address at attbi nothispart dot com stuff.

Either that or the isp sold email addresses to spammers when it switched over to comcast.

I do think companies are paying folks to harvest these addresses though, which includes manually editing them to be correct.

Pass a law? Shure, that'll work. :)

Troy

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
I don't know how it all works, but it seems the spammers have programs that generate random e-mail address'. I have my website set up to forward any e-mail received that ends with @dallas-music.com. I get spam addressed to [email protected] , [email protected] , [email protected] etc. None of these people exist. I do have two real e-mail address' that use "@dallas-music.com". These programs have generated those as well.

So it seems that not divulging your e-mail address in public forums does not assure you won't receive spam. That is really frustrating.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
On the original subject:

It has recently dawned on me that after watching a lot of video because projection TV was new to me, I don't watch it that much anymore. There's little on TV that I really enjoy and consequently watch it sparingly. I average watching less than 2 DVDs a week (I can't watch more than that without getting burned out on movies). HDTV is unbelievable at first, but there's little actual good content, and the same hand full of programs are repeated over and over. Because of this, I have backed way off on my HT plans. I originally bought my house because it would easily allow me to add a large HT room. I had also planned on buying a e-home 9500. Spending the money necessary to accomplish this is hard to justify for something that will be used so little. I'm now setting up the family room as my HT and plan on keeping my G70. Nice big room with no light control that won't be near as nice, but it will be good enough and setting it up will cost about 1/20th what the dedicated room would have run.

I do really, really enjoy a good movie. There's just not enough of them. Overall I think I actually like fiddling with the equipment more than I like watching it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.