AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. The Toshiba HD-E1 (same as the HD-A2) was released a couple of weeks ago here in Sweden and I'm very eager to take the plunge. I didn't buy an HD plasma-tv just to watch SD-material on it...

I have seen both the Toshiba HD-E1 hddvd and the Samsung BD-P1000 blu-ray side by side playing different movies and I have to say that the HD-E1 had a far better picture quality than the BD-P1000. The price on the E1 isn't too bad eather.

What worries me though is now that after CES neither HDDVD nor Blu-Ray have the edge, is it safe to buy an HDDVD player anyway? I wouldn't want to buy an HDDVD player and 100 HDDVDs just to see them become obsolete in a year. I'm still a student :p

Is it even sane to buy the E1 now that Toshiba has anounced the A20?

I have followed threads on this forum since june 2006, reading reviews and comments about both formats and the formatwar, but still haven't come to a personal conclusion.

Thank you in advance

Best Regards

Dimme

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

Quote:
Is it even sane to buy the E1 now that Toshiba has anounced the A20?

At $200 USD price difference i'd hapily take the E1 provided ones TV does proper deinterlacing of 1080i film material (most new TVs do).

Quote:
What worries me though is now that after CES neither HDDVD nor Blu-Ray have the edge, is it safe to buy an HDDVD player anyway? I wouldn't want to buy an HDDVD player and 100 HDDVDs just to see them become obsolete in a year.

Since it's cheaper to enter the HDDVD market than the BD market i would consider HDDVD the safer bet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The HD-A1 is not on option for me because the A1 is regionlocked to R1 dvds and 99% of my dvd collection consists of R2 dvds. It was never released in Europe. The first hddvd player that was released in Europe was/is the HD-E1(same as A2)

The A1 also needs a 100W step down converter (220V->110V).

The bootup-time on the A1 is also unbearable for me.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The thing is, in Europe, the studio situation is much more balanced. Many European distributors are releasing HD DVD titles that are on Blu-ray in the US.

If I was in Europe I wouldn't be too concerned about HD DVD's future. I would not only get to chose Japanese and US import titles, but titles from many other studios in Europe (Studio Canal, Pathe, DeAPlaneta, etc...).

I just wish Best Buy or a major retailer would start carrying import titles here in the US. The Goblet of Fire would fly off the shelves I think...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by efralope /forum/post/0

The thing is, in Europe, the studio situation is much more balanced. Many European distributors are releasing HD DVD titles that are on Blu-ray in the US.

Does that include Blu-ray exclusive titles?

Imported hddvds discs are very common here in europe. Strangely, european hddvd releases are quite a bit more expensive than us releases.

Yet, prices for a movie on hddvd is between $20-30 here. A price that I very rarely pay for a movie on dvd...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.