AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching the auctions of Audiotrons on Ebay. An AT in good condition (with manual, etc) is going for $250 - $300. Wow! It is very rare that the value of electronics goes up over time.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The AT is still the best thing out there, IMHO. Looks like a real AV component, easy to setup and use, works with NAS devices, open API, NO SERVER-SIDE SOFTWARE REQUIRED. It's a wonder that no other consumer electronics company has figured out how to top it. I have two and I might buy a third before they get too rare.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I was just discussing the AT with someone in the market for one of these. If this guy didn't have a few hundred songs he bought at iTunes I definitely would have had him buy one at ebay.

I agree it's probably the only consumer electronic device I've ever seen really appreciate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I never bought an AT and have never seen one in person. But judging by people's reactions, I simply cannot understand why Turtle Beach discontinued it. Were they somehow losing money on a per unit basis? The R&D was done. The hardware was stable. I mean, the thing sold for $200 a unit, and it had no DVD player or recorder, no wireless networking capability and no TV out. I admit that I don't know what I'm talking about, but it sure seems like their profit margin would have been pretty good. What's the explanation for it being discontinued?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
They never really have given a great reason for discontinuing the AT.

However, I'd bet it really has to do with the fixed costs of doing another "run" of the hardware -- which probably requires some relatively high minimum number of units (10K?) that they just don't believe they would be able to sell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.