AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my mother a 19" LCD TV for her breakfast room. Sound from the little down firing built in speakers is gawd awful though.

Saw a cheap subwoofer, Polk PSW10, that everyone seems to hate as a "true" subwoofer, but it looked like it might improve the sound of this TV by filling in everything less than what the little tweeter size speakers put out. It's self powered and has a level control and auto on/off. Do you think it would work in this application ? Need to keep it cheap and simple, doesn't need to be audiophile quality.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
I’ll buy one of these instead and modify it with small bass driver superglue to the top of it. Don’t worry it already has its own port hole to vent steam.

No seriously place the sub in corner or say some place high up, tucked behind the kitchen cupboards, that might give the desirable low end effect.

Happy New Year 2009

·
Registered
7,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless33 /forum/post/15429808

Got my mother a 19" LCD TV for her breakfast room. Sound from the little down firing built in speakers is gawd awful though.

Saw a cheap subwoofer, Polk PSW10, that everyone seems to hate as a "true" subwoofer, but it looked like it might improve the sound of this TV by filling in everything less than what the little tweeter size speakers put out. It's self powered and has a level control and auto on/off. Do you think it would work in this application ? Need to keep it cheap and simple, doesn't need to be audiophile quality.

I think that's going to sound a bit funny. I don't know of any 19" TV speakers that will keep up with a 10" subwoofer.

Your best bet by far would be to go get a set of computer speakers that also have a subwoofer. Self contained power and easy hookup. Altec Lansing or Logitech makes a couple decent 2.1 systems. For $100, I would think it's the best way to go versus just a 10" sub and TV tweeters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.