Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

As a previous post said I am looking at going to a CRT from a LCD projector, there seems to be some good dealers in this forum from Canada and US, I was wondering if there is any Aussies here who know of some in Australia, or is the shipping cost not too bad ?

I was thinking of a BG 808, which I assume is better than the BD 808

thanks

Matt

·
Registered
602 Posts
Theres only one used CRT trader here and his prices are ridiculous (search google groups and youll find him). Best option is to by a Barco Cine 6 which you can get for $11,000 including mounting bracket.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm in Canberra and occasionally home theatre shops up here

have some good second hand, mostly ex-govt type stuff. I've

seen a 1000 hour, quite nice NEC unit for about $9000. The

other option if you want something cheap is to check the

trading post or auction sites, however if you choose to do this

you REALLY want to inspect the unit in person before you

commit to buying it.

Mike

·
Registered
115 Posts
Matt,

You need to specify how much you're willing to spend here. This will allow us to give you a better idea of what you're after. Low end, middle or high end PJ?

How big do you want the picture to be? What sort of performance (resolution and color wise) do you expect from the CRT?

In the US its difficult to find a great used CRT dealer. Curt is one, and there may be a handful of others. AUS would be about 1/50th of their CRT market size, so your choices here will be even more limited.

Mike - was that NEC still available, or was that an old deal? Any idea of the model #? In another post an AUS person was condering a G70, but this NEC might be another option for him to consider if still available.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

I can't remember the exact model, but as of late last week

it was still available. Think it was either a XG110 or XG135. It

was in Millenium Audiovisual in Phillip in the ACT,

(02) 6282 9940. It was on sale on consignment. Might be

worth giving them a call.

Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi

I have a Contact in Sydney who comes accross second hand CRT projectors.

He used to install them for a living. Now he is replacing them with LCD for a living. Often buying up the ones he removes.

At present He has 2 Sony 1250s that have burnt tubes. These can be had for $500

I Know he has a few in the pipeline but never enough.

I dont want to be flooded with email but when he has one for sale it will be listed in the australian newsgroups like aus.audio-visual.home-cinema or maybe even on this group.

I read almost every day and often private email people looking when he has a suitable unit available

James

:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

I looked at a BG808 for AUS$1500 that had 15000 hours on it (Did not look at tubes or see any image, it was at a dealers shop in a rack covered in Dust etc..). I was thinking of getting that then paying the AUS$4500 for new tubes (I do not know if there are other problems), so I guess I was thinking around the AUS$6000 for a good pj.

thanks for all suggestions and hope this helps a little more

thanks

Matt

·
Registered
35 Posts
try these guys at queensland, the have a floor model runco crt projector for sale with the tripler included. the will install it for u.

ask for norman 07 3349 6711

cheers

·
Registered
177 Posts
Matt, $6000 would definitely get you a good CRT projector in Aus. If you are lucky you could spend a lot less than that and end up with a great PJ.

I might have missed something, where are you in Aus? I would highly recommend buying one locally(unless you willing to travel) because it's vitally important to see the unit running and be able to check the condition of the tubes etc. Hour counter readings are not a good thing to go by and can sometimes be very misleading.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I can help you. I don't do it often but I can set you up with a good used Sony 12xx CRT projector, for $4500 to $5500, depending on the projector and what's involved. I have done it for a few friends and a few strangers. I live in Adelaide but I travel to Melbourne reasonably regularly, and I have a good friend in Melbourne who happens to be a PJ source.

IMHO these are the best PJs for us to use here in Oz ( I can tell you why if you are interested).

When I supply a PJ I source one as if it's for me, and I can be trusted to act in your interests as well as my own. You can ask others I have helped to vouch for that. I will explain the pros and cons of your choices to you.

In any case, I strongly advise against a Barco. Service and parts are very expensive here, not a lot are/were sold in this country.

I can tell you more if you are interested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks every body. I am now totally confused, I will take all the info I have been given and all the great info available on the site and re-think my plans.

I believe the sony's are noisy, my vpl400qm was really noisy, but fortunatly I play it loud.

thanks again

Matt

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mykl-s,

the projector you saw in MAV in Phillip ACT was an NEC PG9 (at a glance) and appears to be in good nick.

When I was there I checked out their stock of installed projectors and was amazed at the clarity of some of the digital stuff - considerable advances in the past two years since I bought my CRT. Thought still not quite there. I would say 96%.

I have a Seleco for sale if you want to PM me. I am in Qbn

cheers

Bill:D :cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Matt,

I'm in Melb too and bought a used PJ from a guy here who trades in them. He is pricy but he usually has some in stock, usually NEC's and Sony's. I bought a NEC 6PG XTRA for around $7000 which was probably way too much even thought it is in good condition. If you want his details PM me with your ph no and I can fill you in a bit more.

There is another guy who advertises in the Trading Post too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi,

A friend of mine in Sydney has 2 projectors for sale.

Sony VPH1252 with 5000hrs on it $2500AU (Needs lens removal and the rear elements cleaning.....A lot of dust build up apparently)

Sony VPH1272 with very low hrs, around 400 for $4000AU

if you are interested email me here and I will forward his contact details to you.

Cheers

John

:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.