AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How sensitive is a DLP projector to vibrations?

I have mine on one of those wire racks where you fit the shelves into place on four vertical support poles. I was going to bang a shelf with a wood mallet to tighten it down on the support poles, when it occured to me the vibrations this would cause might not be the best thing for the projector.

So, I am wondering: how sensitive in general are DLP projectors, with their mirror arrays, to vibrations and shocks? How easy is it to throw the mirrors permanently out of alignment or damage some sensitive mechanism inside?

Thanks,

Q

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
You can knock first surface mirrors, lens, prisms, and other electronics out of alignment. Plus bulb's filament may be broken or glass may crack to significant jolts (shake a light bulb enough and it'll burn out due to broken filament). Best to remove PJ prior to knocking your cabinet around.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I worried about vibration on both my CRT and DLP and used rubber grommets as shock absorbers (so to speak) when mounting my pj to the basement ceiling. My kids sometimes jump on the floors (who would guess that :rolleyes:) and I want to minimize vibrations, always better safe than sorry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.