AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been watching various HD programming on OTA and DTV the past month and realized one thing that didnt occur to me before i bought my set. the Quality of HD programming sure does vary quite a bit.

e.g. gladiator on HBO-HD was stunning. A lot of the HDNET stuff is very good. Leno is very good.

some stuff though isn't that great. I saw one stars hockey game on HDNET that wasn't nearly as good as the Kings game. Also even more noticable osme movies aren't as good as others. And some shows don't have the same detail and HD look as Leno.

With primetime shows what's causing this varying in quality? Some like leno look like you're looking through a window. Very nice. Others look more like a DVD.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
BACK TO SCHOOL was just on HBO and looked horrible, as though I was viewing it through venetian blinds. There were very faint, thin, nearly transparent vertical lines all across the screen. I have seen a few other HBO transfers like this. Just pitiful.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
"There were very faint, thin, nearly transparent vertical lines all across the screen"

Matt-

Sounds like TVI or interferrence to me. You may want to check out your grounds and shields on your interconnect cables, especially any that carry 8vsb signal which could show up with that look you saw.

I have Back to School here (recorded on DVHS HD tape) and it is clean. It is not the best quality movie on my shelf but certainly not the worst. I consider it an average film transfer quality. Just a tad on the soft side. Rodney Dangerfield makes up for it with one of his best performances. I met Rodney once in Ft. Lauderdale and he was just like his character in person. He had everyone laughing to tears that day.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Yes, there are many variables in the quality

of the shows you see...

Among them:

1> Did the camerapeople keep the image in focus?

(don't laugh)

2> Did they have good quality cameras?

3> Did they "film" in on low grade film stock

and then telecine it to HDTV later?

4> Was the lighting good?

5> How did they edit it?

6> How many times was it re-encoded and recompressed?

(to add logos, etc)

Anyways - there are lots of ways a show

can be presented in HDTV and still look bad/blurry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.