AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
This is indeed an informative and accurate article by Michael Hill. And the fact that it is the front page splash on the weekly TV guide in a major newspaper in a top 10 DMA is very encouraging for HDTV. I bet the local retailers wish it had come out several weeks ago!

Gerald C

·
Registered
238 Posts
It would have been nice if he'd have mentioned what was needed to get those OTA channels (other than the tuner). Americans need to get over their antenna phobia.

BB

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Yes, I'm also relieved to see a cover story about HD. It would be nice if they would start indicating in the weekly listing itself which programs are in HD.

Did you notice the title of this article in the table of contents: "All About HDTV "? Yeah right ... a 1-1/2 page article. Only mention of sports is "some high profile sporting events will soon be carried in HDTV." Nothing specifically about movies.

It's a start I guess (after 4 years of HDTV broadcasting in the Washington market).

·
Registered
979 Posts
Even at 1-1/2 pages, it should be required reading for every Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. salesperson. At least it was accurate and goes a long way to dispelling myths that are too often still heard and passed around (e.g., "There are no HDTV programs yet. You have to wait until 2006.", etc.) I bet if you had assembled the collective knowledge of every Best Buy video department manager in Wash DC last week, they could not have written that story. Here on AVS we easily forget there is vast ignorance out there. With cover page stories in TV-Week, the knowledge-tables are turned more to the consumer's side.

Gerald C

·
Registered
553 Posts
Good article but...

They did not list the Baltimore DTV channels most of which are far superior to the D.C. channels.

They did not include the DTV channels in the normal channel listings of the magazine. When will that happen?

This was the first mention of DTV in the TV magazine ever. Where have they been? I've been watching HDTV in D.C. for over 2 years.

So we settle for less.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Article seemed accurate until the last line when they said WMPT in spring? They are already broadcasting a nice HD feed from Annapolis if I recall.

Balt better than DC? I dunno...

WTTG FOX DC is better than WBFF - has 480p widescreen

WMAR is better than WJLA Ill give you that.

But CBS and NBC seem about par. We also have WETA which has its pros and cons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.