AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Text on the back of the DVD case. "Presented in it's original theatrical format, enhanced for widescreen tvs."

This would lead you to beleive that it's an anamorphic disc, right? It's not, it letterbox. What gives?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I too got taken by this title. I only buy anamorphic, and when I read the back and it said 'enhanced' I bought it.

It IS false advertising. But what can we do? I E-Mailed them, and never got a response. Also, some of the older Fox 'War Movies" claim enhanced, but are not. I will post the titles later

Kurt

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Goodfellas anyone?

Unfortunately their are several high profile movies that are labelled anamorphic but in reality are not enhanced.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
That really sucks...I had seen that it wasn't anamorphic in reviews and on DVD Profiler, but I didn't realized it was labeled as "Enhanced." Definite false advertising.

If you can return it, the Canadian version is indeed anamorphic. I got mine from DVDBoxOffice.com, I think.

KP

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Just to confirm about the Canadian edition, this is from the US GWH review on DVDVerdict.com. BTW, to avoid any confusion, the Canadian is of course R1 and NTSC.

Quote:
There are a few problems with the transfer but I'll discuss them below. Of course the biggest problem is that the transfer is non-anamorphic, while the Canadian release is 16 X 9 enhanced, and has the extra resolution for you widescreen owners and future ones, which is most of you.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I have had money back from my DVD supplier on incorrectly advertised (on thier website) titles which were incorrectly packaged...

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
2010 is another movie labeled as anamorphic, but isn't. On the flipside Deconstructing Harry indicates it is not anamorphic, but it is.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by movie_guy
The Abyss ... mis-labeled as "enhanced"
That is a dang shame too. I'd love to have a new version of that one some day.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Are you guys POSITIVE that the GWH COLLECTOR'S EDITION in non-anamorphic?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
DVD Profiler is by no means a definitive authority since its database is user-built, but I do find that their database is usually accurate. And they state that all R1 editions of GWH are non-anamorphic except for the Canadian edition--even the "Collector's Series."

BTW, the Canadian version has all the features of the Collector's Series as well, including the deleted scenes, commentary, documentary, and Academy Awards Montage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.