AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is it. Sold my 50-inch Toshiba RPTV last week and received my AE100 today! I'll also stop by for a VB50 at CompUSA (I know, but I just wanted to be able to return it if I decide I'd rather get an iScan). Can't wait to go home and set it up. Countless thanks to everyone and their posts both for and against this pj. This will be a grand experiment for me as I'm a pj virgin. I'll try not to get sucked into the blackhole of ownership and post reactions, screenshots, etc. in the near future.

·
Registered
40 Posts
OK, I have been looking at small projectors this past WE at the Home Entertainment Expo in NYC. I saw the Plus Piano HE 3200 for $3300 and the Infocus 110 for around $3800 and a new Sharp 2700 (very small) with a price around $4K. I have seen the Sanyo but the screen door effect troubled me. At 8' from the lens these new ones cannot see screen door.

So what is an AE100?

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
It's an entry-level Panasonic projector that can be bought from Price-Japan-dot-com(AVS Sponsor) for about $1400, with a just-announced policy of NO DEAD PIXELS and a 30-day no-questions-asked exchange. Model number TH-AE100.

Or it's an identical-appearing projector sold by Panasonic dealers in the USA with an MSRP of $2995, and an as-yet unknown policy about dead pixels. Model number PT-AE100.

Gary

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EdgyLyric:

Yes, I bought the AE100 sight unseen based on the reviews and screen shots found here only. I'd tried to audition one at a fellow AVS forum member's home, but our schedules never worked out. In the end, I'd already decided that I was selling my TV one way or the other due to a move--I didn't want to damage or kill it during the move--and had decided on either going back to a smaller tube-based TV or front projector. The lure of the big picture and no-hassle moving factor of a pj was the deciding factor, along with the entry-level pricing. The unit I bought has one dead blue pixel in the upper left corner (desk mounted) but has been somewhat neutralized with a spot of yellow electrical tape (thanks Tahusvedt!). I'll be doing more experiments on eliminating the pixel altogether in the coming days, but if it really bothers me I'll exchange it. As things stand after about 4 hours of viewing, I think this is going to be a keeper. Not bad for "toe in the water" experiment, which was the way my wife and I decided to approach the whole AE100 affair. Knowing me, I'll probably upgrade at the end of the year :)

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eujin
Well, this is it. Sold my 50-inch Toshiba RPTV last week and received my AE100 today! I'll also stop by for a VB50 at CompUSA (I know, but I just wanted to be able to return it if I decide I'd rather get an iScan). Can't wait to go home and set it up. Countless thanks to everyone and their posts both for and against this pj. This will be a grand experiment for me as I'm a pj virgin. I'll try not to get sucked into the blackhole of ownership and post reactions, screenshots, etc. in the near future.
...or obsessing over shipping costs... :D

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
...or obsessing over shipping costs...
Actually, I wasn't bothered about the shipping costs--I just wanted my VB50 NOW. The same applies if I return it--I'd want my refund NOW. I guess I'm a sucker for instant gratification. :D

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eujin

Actually, I wasn't bothered about the shipping costs--I just wanted my VB50 NOW. The same applies if I return it--I'd want my refund NOW. I guess I'm a sucker for instant gratification. :D
The shipping costs post was a tongue-in-cheek reference to the forum split. Alan was complaining that all of us "cheap" projector users were populating the forum with threads complaining about shipping costs :D

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the thing about us cheapies--only in a place like AVS can we be considered in such a light. In normal everyday circles, my friends think I'm insane for buying a projector that will give me a 7-foot wide screen.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary McCoy
Or it's an identical-appearing projector sold by Panasonic dealers in the USA with an MSRP of $2995, and an as-yet unknown policy about dead pixels. Model number PT-AE100.
I must say, the SRP is quite out of line. One would hope that it is a misprint of $1995, I thought that was the originally announced SRP.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.