AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very disappointed with Panasonic and will probably not buy another product made by them. My original PV-HS2000 quit with a bad Hard Drive (Made loud clunking noises) 87 days into the warranty. After getting the necessary information from Panasonic I sent it to the repair facility in Elgin Il. After the received it I had to argue with them to fix it under warranty because by the time they got the showstopper it was out of warranty (Duh). Nine weeks later I get a refurbished unit in the mail and not my original. Why it took nine weeks for that I'll never know. Well 2 1/2 months later the refurb has died (with no picture and no hard drive spin up). It is totally dead. I called Panasonic and they want $142 to fix the showstopper. There is no way I'm going to pay $142. I bought a $99 DSR6000/DirecTiVo from Circuit City instead. I guess I'm going to sell the showstopper for parts on ebay or something.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Panasonic took real good care of you I see. How cheap will you sell it for. The way I mess around with mine I'm going to break it soon

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Too bad. Personally, I think it's worth the $142, and I'd pay it. I use my SS so much, I don't know what life would be like without it (yeah, sad, I know).

Well, sell it to someone here who could use it. That would be cool of you. Cheers, and hope you find the monthly payments a better option for ya.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Well it's not worth $142 if it only works another 89 days afterwards -- that time frame is curious. But that is about the time is takes any drive to fail dramatically if it is just cooking to death. I think maybe these machines are just not for those that can't manage the harddrives themselves. This is my experience after all they are a computer and just like any pee cee people just can't plug them in and forget them... they need a minimum amount of care. I think it is a mistake for anyone to just look at these like a toaster (though outa the box in some circumstances they can brown toast) Remember that current hardrives are only supposed to be good for about 3 years anyway and in this application maybe that is more like 18 months. (not any longer in the Tivos btw) So that's just the cost of having this privilege now... just replace the drive every year if need be that is well worth it to me. If you remember VCR's they only last 3 years and when they are done you have to pitch the whole thing. My replays seem to me like they will run forever just watching the temp a bit and replacing the drives when they've lived their good life. I couldn't live without these!

I personally haven't had a single quantum (or quawkster) have any problem in last 2 years of this (15 or so drives) but just like those in my pee cees none of mine have gotten too hot either while the ones I referred but didn't see on regular basis all croaked and I had to replace their drives for them a year later-- like I said please don't use these things as TOASTERS ) :rolleyes: and as Dr. Toots would say always keep a backup!

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
It's a crap shoot (i.e. all based on luck, chance)

I've had 7 units now, and KNOCKING FURIOUSLY ON WOOD none has had a problem. This is for the last 12-18 months.

·
Registered
281 Posts
FWIW, I have seen open box buys on Showstoppers for about $99 at my local Circuit City and Best Buy. Since your $142 gets you a refurb, I don't know how they can justify this.

·
Registered
849 Posts
If you don't plan to repair it, why don't you open her up and have a look? It could be a loose cable even. Try the drive in your PC and see if it's the drive or something else. If it's the drive, you might be able to get the manufacturer to replace it, my roomate sends them back with an RMA all the time. Just call them, check the warranty period for that serial number, and send it in for replacement. If it's the power supply you might be able to fix/replace it. Can't hurt, if you are just going to sell it for parts any way.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Philosofy
FWIW, I have seen open box buys on Showstoppers for about $99 at my local Circuit City and Best Buy. Since your $142 gets you a refurb, I don't know how they can justify this.
Statistics...

CC & BB are dumping products that they paid more for. Seems to be a common thing.

Moderators - Thread kill request.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Freeze - there's a link on every post that says "report this thread to a moderator". Does exactly what you're requesting.

·
Registered
607 Posts
J Man - before you ebay that sucker, shoot me an e-mail ([email protected]), I may be interested. I'll send you a PM too, but you have no email listed...

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikea28
J Man - before you ebay that sucker, shoot me an e-mail ([email protected]), I may be interested. I'll send you a PM too, but you have no email listed...
Uhohhhhh, there is parts competition!!!!

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FreezeFrame
Moderators - Thread kill request.
On what grounds?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.