AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Yesterday I accidentally drove my Sony STR DA6400ES to an extremely high volume at which point it shut down and the display went dark. After letting it rest (unplugging the power cord) I tried starting it up - nothing. Display was dark and all I heard was a clinking sound from somewhere in the unit, which went silent and started up again repeatedly. There is no external fuse or reset on this unit. I removed the cover and using a downloaded repair manual searched for anything obvious - fuses (there are two, before the transformer) were intact. Do I kiss this unit goodbye? It's 4 years old. I don't know if it's worth repairing.

Thanks for any input.

·
Banned
5,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alflarson  /t/1525204/goodbye-sony-str-da6400es#post_24552638

Hello all,

Yesterday I accidentally drove my Sony STR DA6400ES to an extremely high volume at which point it shut down and the display went dark. After letting it rest (unplugging the power cord) I tried starting it up - nothing. Display was dark and all I heard was a clinking sound from somewhere in the unit, which went silent and started up again repeatedly. There is no external fuse or reset on this unit. I removed the cover and using a downloaded repair manual searched for anything obvious - fuses (there are two, before the transformer) were intact. Do I kiss this unit goodbye? It's 4 years old. I don't know if it's worth repairing.

Thanks for any input.

The Sony STR DA6400ES comes with a 5 yr warranty Contact Sony support for an auth. service center .
Quote:
120 Watts x 7 Channel

multi-room audio and video

9 HD inputs

Faroudja DCDi Cinema 1080p upscaling technology

Blu-ray Disc audio decoding

satellite radio ready

DLNA support

5 year limited warranty
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002R5WOV4/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=43831719809&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3216206112617269300&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3kd2r6xes4_b

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Tubetwister.

I'm planning to give my local authorized service guy a try. Got to find the receipt! Was a very nice amp.

Kind of thought driving the amp to a high volume wouldn't be a warranty item, we'll see.

Was wondering if anyone experienced a shutdown like this caused by high volume and what the prognosis might be.

Thanks again, I'll report the warranty results. Meanwhile I'm researching for an equivalent replacement, not necessarily Sony. Maybe Marantz 7008.

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
"It just broke one day how should I know why " .................. You know what I mean?

Long as the dealer gets paid by you or Sony why should he care sometimes s*** just breaks for no reason .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts