AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After over a year of waiting for my local TWC to come up with more HDTV and putting off buying a dish I've finally "cut the cable". Bought a Radio Shack "stealth" type attic antenna and now I pull in locals CBS,ABC,NBC,Fox (though Fox is only DT, not HD),PBS and paired with Direct TV I get HDNET, ESPN-HD, HDNET MOVIES, SHOWTIME HD, HBO-HD, & Discovery HD .......11 HD/DTWS channels. The last 4 months were really trying as the GM of TWC kept promising that something was going to happen soon but it never did. Even though they were promo-ing INHD no one knew what was going on and yesterday they finally stopped showing it. Then after reading other posts about TWC I realized they were giving everyone the same phoney story. So football season had started and I decided to do something about it.Now in addition to the NFL Ticket DTWS & HD I get two college HD games (ESPN & CBS-HD) and 3 HD pro games (ABC, ESPN & CBS). WOW!!!** (ooops- forgot to add HDNET's college game on Saturday so 3 college HD games per week!!)

**(warning -don't try this at home unless you really want your HDTV)

·
Registered
66 Posts
DJ

I am in the same mood.

We got the TWC HD package a year ago here in Orange.

Still have the same channels. Nothing new.

Then INHD showed up a few weeks ago.

I really was looking forward to finally getting a new channel

in the HD package.

Then tonight I get home to watch the Yankees game

and the channel has disappeared from the lineup.

After waiting a half hour on the customer service line

I am told that it was never on. I must have hallucinated

watching the preview for 2-3 weeks. Stoned when I watched

Full Metal Jaket last night. It never was on. Yeah Sure.

Then the supervisor reads me a memo dated today about how

INHD will not be offered at this time.

As a customer these people deserve to lose my business.

OTA and Dish. Here I come.

P.S I sent you a e-mail

Love to have that GM`s address so I can flame him.

Bill Kittle

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bitserv - I got the same run-around a week ago. The supervisor, after a little hostility, said there was no such channel as 1105 (which was INHD). Tad Yo, the GM said he was waiting for more information but I never heard back from him. If you need OTA antenna suggestions let me know.

·
Registered
551 Posts
My locals TWC launch of HD Scheduled for April is still unavailable. I gave up in June in went with D*. When i canceled my service the csr couldn't believe i would cancel because they didn't offer HD. And told me 4 times about how great their digital cable was. They don't have a clue!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'm still sticking with TWC for the time being. No extra charge for Discovery, INHD1, INHD2. That plus all the locals plus paying for HBO, SHO works for me for now.

I'm a baseball fan, satellite really needs to get INHD if they want my business.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Quote:
INHD1, INHD2.
That is one problem for many of us - TW around the country, obviously with exceptions, failed to put on inhd on launch date despite having shown technical capabilities and bandwidth availability prior through showing the US Open - so the question is why isn't the channel on and rumors are that they will charge and is that why they haven't put it on because they are deciding how much it should cost...we don't know and TW customer information sucks as usual

·
Registered
155 Posts
djdickerson, I'm a TWC customer too, and am always evaluating my options.

Would you mind sharing the difference in monthly subscription price between TWC and Direct TV, for the package you've subscribed to?

Also, how what brand of Direct TV/OTA box did you get?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DJ-V

The box is a Hughes HD (Digital) set-top box. It has separate inputs for SAT and ANTENNA. After you do a scan for local channels it lists local and SAT channels. Sample: 2 (CBS) 2-1 (CBS-HD).....and integrates them so you are not switching from one box to another when you go from SAT to local antenna.

As for billing.....

My monthly cable bill was $122 but you have to subtract out $45for RoadRunner which I kept which makes it about $77. I have the same channels for SAT and it works like this. $56 for two rooms (includes 1 premium, HBO)minus $6 (dropping local channels)= $50 + $10 for HD=$60+

$12 for SHOW)=$72. That's only an estimate. (Remember their HD package includes HDNET, HDNET MOVIES, DISCOVERY HD & ESPN HD. You get HBO & SHO in HD when you take those channels. And there is a PPV HD movies channel. My OTA gives me CBS,NBC,ABC,Fox, WB & PBS in HD.

But I'm not paying that yet. Right now they gave me a new customer deal which is:

1. 4 mos free if I take NFL Ticket for $59 per mo. (It's paid for in Dec.)

2. After NFL is paid bill will resume at regular rate in Jan (Probably $65-75)

So I am paying $59 per month until Jan. then regular bill of approx $65-75.But at that time I can change packages if I want to.

I don't think SAT is cheaper than cable necessarily but I have 10 Hi Def channels now counting those I get with my OTA.

I couldn't pass this one up. That's practically NFL Ticket for free because I would've paid at least $65 per month for the regular bill.

Cable was only selling me channels I could get for free plus HBO & SHO.

Hope this wasn't too confusing an answer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
djdickerson,

Yes, that pricing information makes sense. Thanks!

But you also had to invest some $$ in the set-top box, right?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Dont forget you have to carry the 39.99 package to get the HD package, so his estimate is off by $7.00 other then that he is right.

Also don't forget that you can get HD PPV which is nice.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I JUST RECEIVED THIS FROM TWC: SOUND FAMILIAR??

We have been receiving a considerable number of calls regarding the INHD, High Definition programming. The calls are coming form customers that have visited the INHD.com web site.

This site announces that INHD has launched 24/7 HD programming of Sports, Movie, and Events. Our logo, along with Comcast's logo, is positioned prominently on the site.

IN stands for Indemand, the company who supplies us with our PPV and VOD content. We are working with them, through corporate to negotiating HD programming and HD channels. We have not finalized a deal yet and we as a division need to formulate our pricing and packaging strategy as well. We need additional information and direction from corporate before we can launch anything.

Please have CCP use the following response to these customer inquiries:

We currently do not have INHD or INHD2 available. We understand the need to make additional HD programming available for our customers and it is a priority for us. We are working with In Demand to be able to make additional HD programming available soon. But, we do not have a date as of yet. Thank you for your patience.

Roger, please add or revise as you see best.

Thank you.

Max I. Herbas

Director of New Products

Time Warner Cable

Los Angeles Division

(p) 714.430.5518

(f) 714.430.5532

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Wow,

I love TWC, I get the following channels in HD all for free;
  1. HBO
  2. Showtime
  3. PBS
  4. ABC
  5. CBS
  6. NBC
  7. INHD1
  8. INHD2
  9. Discovery

The only other HD channels I don't have is HDNet, ESPN (which I heard is on it's way too). I also read that Fox Sports HD is comign soon to a TWC box near me.

Outside of that, all I have to do is either make a call or stop by the customer service counter to pick up the latest and greatest HD box and swap for free!

I'm hearing that they are testing the HD PVR as I type.

LONG LIVE TWC! :)

Troy

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
If I got all of those HD Channels without macroblocking and pixelization, I would cheer "LONG LIVE TWC" too. But, alas, I get HBO-HD and CBS-HD (when I fax them to flip the hi-def switch) and the CBS-HD sports are riddled with the problems I mentioned.

"Poor, Poor, Pitiful Me." (The Late Great Warren Zevon)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TROY

It's great to be in a Beta test area, huh?

(Still missing ESPN-HD, HDNET, HDNET MOVIES, PPV HD.)

Enjoy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I dont know about you DJ but I dont want to pay a fortune for HD. Why won't you post the cost for the HD equipment you have? I went to price everything and I was quoted over $500 for all of the equipment. I'll just keep my free HD Channels and save money.

From what I heard, they will be adding more HD channels soon. As soon as the end of this year. Once the channels are added, you will want to come back..."BUT" ooops..You have a contract! Now you are stuck for a year.

I dont know about all of you but I love TWC! I love controlling my Pay Per View movies. I love watching Sopranos when I want to watch it. All I do is choose the episode I want to watch and there I go. Sorry but the only thing that the dish does for me is make my house look dirty. I dont need trash on my roof.

And you left only because of HD programming? *tisk tisk tisk* I research before I make a mistake and be stuck with that mistake for 1 year.

*Ahhhhh*, ill just go back and hit play on my Video On Demand movie I just ordered.

Thank you very much and enjoy the services you wish they had.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Quote:
If I got all of those HD Channels without macroblocking and pixelization, I would cheer "LONG LIVE TWC" too.
I've never had any long term problems with the above. Of course everyone goes through some intermittent issues, but on the whole I've been satisified.

Quote:
It's great to be in a Beta test area, huh?
I didn't realize that one, had you asked me that prior to like 30 days ago, I would have called you crazy. I was assuming that TX, CA and NY were moreso than us...go figure.

I still get OTA also via my antiquated DTC-100.

Troy

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.