AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have GoodFellas on DVD, I paid about $9 bucks for it I believe, or it was one of those Buy 3 movies for $25 bucks deal CANADIAN, not US since im from Canada. The movie was great, it played great on my old TV, I had a 4:3 TV up until recently. Now I have a Widescreen 42" TV, and a blue-Ray player. But the funny thing, the movie plays "pillarboxed" on this TV. its not a problem with the TV, The movie is not recorded in anamorphic, so its presented in a "matted" letter box. I've been thinking about trading it up, HMV will give me $5 towards another movie if I trade it. not a bad deal eh? and besides, I wanna buy the Blue Ray version in the future anyways, no? Ohh and the most annoying thing about the GoodFellas DVD I cant believe I forgot to mention it. The Disc is Double sided, meaning once its at chapter 18, I have to eject the Disc, and flip it upside down to watch the rest of the movie? does this defeat the purpoes of it? im sure blue ray wont have this problem, please advise.

-thx.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
That is one of the super duper old first wave of releases. Yeah, DVD has come a long way since then.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yeah, I was about to say, that sounds like a DVD from the Bronze age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessMechanic /forum/post/18221341

please advise.

Not sure what you want advice on, but either a newer DVD or the Blu-Ray should be light years better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well it looks like its only 20 bucks on blue ray, and its full 16:9 aspect ratio, and no flipping the disc over to the second side, lmao.. im gonna go for it.. i already got $5 for my old disc which i really paid $9 for, so im only losing 4 bucks, lol.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
You seem to pinch every penny.

Nothing wrong with that, but even if you had to eat the entire $9, the Blu-Ray should be worth it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you know what? your right.. but i noticed one thing, people who have the movie on DVD already are a little reluctant to buy it on blue-ray, so by selling/trading it off, you are somewhat releaving yourself of this and you feel better and are more likey to buy it.

get what im saying?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I get it, but I'd feel that way if I paid like $25 for a nice DVD in the last year or two. For a $9 DVD, I don't think I would mind double dipping and getting the Blu-Ray. Especially if it were a non-anamorphic double-sided job. Those things should have gone out in 2001.

Heck, I've gotten rid of a couple of DVDs that weren't up to muster anymore and just got a newer edition. I didn't even bother selling them, just gave them away or recycled them. DVD production got ramped up so much that it's hardly worth trying to resell unless you have some place you know buys them or they're something rare. For a common DVD that everyone already owns, it'll sit and rot on eBay or Half.com.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i didnt know it was double sided, but ya im getting rid of it... i didnt even know what double side meant, i always thought double layer? not the same thing?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Naw, double layer means it has a second layer below the first, and the laser shifts to read it. There's a slight little pause during a movie when that happens. It was created to prevent the need to flip the disc (which is soooo laserdisc.
) Nowadays your longer movies just spread it across two double-layered discs if they need to.

About the only ones that are double sided anymore are a few TV show sets (and even those aren't commonly double sided) and some that might have the 16:9 version on one side and the 4:3 version on the other. Or some "double feature" discs, like some of the old Hammer Horror collection ones.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts