AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have goodfellas yet, i heard bad things about the hd-dvd transfer so i held off. I am hoping the blu ray looks better but knowing warner they prolly just used the same transfer. If anyone has it post what you think of the PQ cause its one of my favorite films.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I was able to pick it up @ the local target. It is in my top 5 films ever. I rented the hd version and the PQ looked identical imo. Which is not a bad thing, because the PQ is prolly tier2. But yeah, I think warner just did another port.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison /forum/post/0

Goodfellas is a flick you watch for good movie enjoyment. It may not be Reference but you'll enjoy it anyways. It's certainly not a crappy encode.

I would have to say "Goodfellas" is my favorite movie ever. I am a huge fan of gangster movies.

~Josh

·
Registered
680 Posts
I haven't picked it up, but I was just reading a review of it earlier today:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/goodfellas.html

Quote:
I was also impressed with the sense of depth and clarity to the transfer -- 'GoodFellas' looks like a new movie, not one that's now over fifteen years old. Detail is top-notch, with subtle skin and fabric textures apparent, and a real sense of three-dimensionality to the picture. Blacks are rich and deep, with contrast excellent.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Does Goodfellas on Blu Ray have an insert?

·
Registered
670 Posts
ive seen goodfellas on bd, its ok, def looks better than all the other times ive seen it but you cant expect much from a film that came out over 15 years ago... now question is mr. vedder, when will Pearl Jam: Picture in a Frame come on Blu Ray, if any band has a live show concert in blu ray its them! NIN blu ray is pretty sweet though

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'd say its only average or slightly above average for a catalog title. Seems like it could easily look better with a future re-release. Still, if you are a fan of the movie then it is a significant upgrade to the SD DVD and worth owning.

But, if you are only trying to buy the movies that have the absolute best-looking transfers then you should avoid this or at least rent first.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not a bad picture. But nothing that's going to be eye-popping in my opinion. It's a definite upgrade over the flipper dvd I have, not having to flip the dvd over halfway into the movie, alone was worth the purchase price.

·
Registered
590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota81 /forum/post/11490109

Not a bad picture. But nothing that's going to be eye-popping in my opinion. It's a definite upgrade over the flipper dvd I have, not having to flip the dvd over halfway into the movie, alone was worth the purchase price.

No doubt. Flipping the disc half way through was for the birds!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
This was one of the first BDs I bought. I thought it looked quite good (I was more impressed with it than I was with The Departed).

I don't have access to the master, but it looks like I would imagine the source to look. Can't really ask for more than that.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 /forum/post/9487962

I would have to say "Goodfellas" is my favorite movie ever. I am a huge fan of gangster movies.

I agree and the disc looks terrific as well. The material itself isn't the type that's going to wow people like King Kong or Apocalypto but it still looks very nice.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
I agree.

With Goodfellas, when you watch it you think "I don't know what the big deal about HD is" as it doesn't really blow you away immediately.

The key is to then put in the SD DVD, and you see how all the details you were taking for granted are now just a soft blur.

·
Registered
93 Posts
im watching just until now. i like the transfer. it may not seem a big upgrade to the SE dvd but somehow pops out the screen more and the depth of things going on in the background are much more visible.

no hidef audio is the only con.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkrudy /forum/post/16926478

no hidef audio is the only con.

About time for a re-release (with lossless) of one of the greatest movies EVER....

Thanx again WB for short changing the film fans that keep you in business.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Probably my most repeated BD catalog title (guessing I've watched it 4 or 5 times now), though its not fair since I've had it since I bought my first player. Definitely better than the dvd and the finest version avail but yeah, it sure would be nice to own a balls to the walls version with an even better encode and lossless audio. Pssst, Warner - I'd even jump on a digibook version if you need to bait me into a re-dip.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.