AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow!

A person takes a two week vacation to Italy, and when I return the prices for the EH59/69 have really jumped! Before I left, they were ~ $340/$400. When I got back, they had jumped to (average) $395/$450! This taken from the three sites I have purchased DVD recorders from: J&R, B&H and World-Import. The EH59 has gone from $340 to $395, an increase of $55, and the EH69 has gone from $400 to $450, an increase of $50. Is this a reflection of the currency exchange, or is my paranoia actually coming true and these machines are finally disappearing from the marketplace?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I noticed this last week, when I linked to the B&H site for a post.

Since all the known vendors of this unit raised their prices in lockstep, there must have been a triggering increase in the wholesale cost. Presumably nobody stocks it deeply, so they replenish a small supply as customer orders trickle in, and prices have crept up. Could be a response to currency changes, or factory costs have gone up, or it has been scheduled for discontinuation and dealers are concertedly gouging for the last batch. I hope it isn't the latter, but Panasonic does appear to be cutting back on disc recorders worldwide, and this generic EH series without DVB-T tuner is probably less appealing in PAL countries than it was three years ago.

Hope you had a nice time in Italy! We went there on a cruise a few years ago, right before the economy tanked. Half of us misunderstood the ship's window of time in Venice, and ended up stranded. Had to get to Croatia to catch up with the ship, and spent a really nice evening there (Dubrovnik has much better Italian restaurants than Venice!). Had we not screwed up, we never would have seen Dubrovnik Old City at night, which ended up being the highlight of the trip.

·
Registered
13,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy  /t/1525713/goodness-what-has-happened-to-the-eh59-69-prices/0_100#post_24565305

Wow!

A person takes a two week vacation to Italy, and when I return the prices for the EH59/69 have really jumped! Before I left, they were ~ $340/$400. When I got back, they had jumped to (average) $395/$450! This taken from the three sites I have purchased DVD recorders from: J&R, B&H and World-Import. The EH59 has gone from $340 to $395, an increase of $55, and the EH69 has gone from $400 to $450, an increase of $50. Is this a reflection of the currency exchange, or is my paranoia actually coming true and these machines are finally disappearing from the marketplace?
Those were customized prices for you. They figure if you can pop for 2 weeks in Italia, you can spring for an extra $50 for a Panasonic DVDR.

Bet they read all the cookies for your travel plans and got you.

·
Registered
11,602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1525713/goodness-what-has-happened-to-the-eh59-69-prices#post_24565949

Bet they read all the cookies for your travel plans and got you.
I swear Amazon does that with their crazy pricing.........I was just about to pull the trigger on that WD media player you like, $79 at Amazon. I had it in my cart but didn't have my CC handy, later than night when I had it and was about to order the price was now $85

I've had that happen too many times for it to be a coincidence, put something in my cart and if I wait even a few hours when I come back the price has been jacked up! Screw them, I took the player out of my cart and saved even more money! I had the same thing happen about a week ago with some Verbatim +R DL discs, they were change over $30 for a 30 spindle, I put them in my cart and later that night when I went to order them they had jumped up to $35
Out of my cart they went! Amazon is sure saving me money lately........I never manage to get a order through.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts