AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside ... did anyone have issues with their Mac recently?

My Mac Pro just got caught up in the Google Chrome triggered hfs boot block (/var) corruption which, prevents the volume from starting properly. What a pain in the butt. Aaarrrggghhh...

It appears to be related to any mac running a third party GPU (in my case a gtx 980 ti) and OS x pre 10.11.x, or where SIP is disabled to run some third party GPUs. SIP is an apple protection to defend parts of the OS from the resource corruption Google Chrome updating itself caused.

The bug brought to halt some major Avid Media Composer rigs in Hollywood and beyond.

The fix was simply launching into the recovery start up option, and reinstalling the OS right on top of the existing install, so everything else remains intact.

There was also a way to use Terminal to fix the affected /var folder in the /lib directory.

Anyway... breathing a sigh of relief here, feeling like I just missed getting t-boned in an intersection. All Praise Back Ups.

Thanks Google. :(

Edit... good news source... https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/09/no-it-wasnt-a-virus-it-was-chrome-that-stopped-macs-from-booting/

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,001 Posts
Aside ... did anyone have issues with their Mac recently?

My Mac Pro just got caught up in the Google Chrome triggered hfs boot block (/var) corruption which, prevents the volume from starting properly. What a pain in the butt. Aaarrrggghhh...

It appears to be related to any mac running a third party GPU (in my case a gtx 980 ti) and OS x pre 10.11.x, or where SIP is disabled to run some third party GPUs. SIP is an apple protection to defend parts of the OS from the resource corruption Google Chrome updating itself caused.

The bug brought to halt some major Avid Media Composer rigs in Hollywood and beyond.

The fix was simply launching into the recovery start up option, and reinstalling the OS right on top of the existing install, so everything else remains intact.

There was also a way to use Terminal to fix the affected /var folder in the /lib directory.

Anyway... breathing a sigh of relief here, feeling like I just missed getting t-boned in an intersection. All Praise Back Ups.

Thanks Google. :(

Edit... good news source... https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/09/no-it-wasnt-a-virus-it-was-chrome-that-stopped-macs-from-booting/
That sucks but man the fix would actually be really simple not requiring any sort of reinstall. The bug really just wiped out the link of /var to /private/var. All that really needed to be done was restore that link.

In recovery terminal, you just do an ls -l / and see if var exists and if it is a link to /private/var. If not:
ln -s /private/var /var

If var does already exist, and isn't a link to /private/var then:
rm -rf /var
ln -s /private/var /var

or for the paranoid:
mv /var /var-old
ln -s /private/var /var

then you should be able to reboot and be back up and running.

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sucks but man the fix would actually be really simple not requiring any sort of reinstall. The bug really just wiped out the link of /var to /private/var. All that really needed to be done was restore that link.

In recovery terminal, you just do an ls -l / and see if var exists and if it is a link to /private/var. If not:
ln -s /private/var /var

If var does already exist, and isn't a link to /private/var then:
rm -rf /var
ln -s /private/var /var

or for the paranoid:
mv /var /var-old
ln -s /private/var /var

then you should be able to reboot and be back up and running.
Yes. Thanks. I did not find that info until after we had already arrived at the "long way home" solution. :)

It would have been a bigger pain if we did not have a 11.13.x volume we use for some newer software, so we were able to switch over, finish up work for the day, and dig down into how to fix the 10.10.5 volume that was affected.

We decided we can upgrade that 10.10.5 to 10.11.6 El Capitan without losing access to some important legacy software.

I also took this event to send off our GTX 980 Ti for the MacVidCards EFI flash to make the card Mac EFI compatible, providing the traditional start up screen options a normal Mac friendly GPU provides.

Anyway... Goggle has been slipping, IMHO.

Although, I'm not convinced the conspiracy theories are wrong regarding how it seems like AVID was targeted. :)

Thanks for your post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts