AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GooSystems ScreenGoo paint is now ready to go. Rolls perfectly straight out of the can.

Nominal gain characteristic of 1.4

This was always the big wonderment. What would the gain of the production version be? It turns to be about a very, very nice, controlled 1.4, with an excellent gain curve for a paint.

introductory price of $100 per liter. dealer inquires invited. Delivery times are now. in stock. paint all you want, we'll make more.

I'm quitting my new job, I am so confident of the product. you see, I JUST tried the production product for the first time. it is excellent. better than any of the prototypes or experimental versions.

e-mail, at this time, as to payment options and delivery scheduling.

This the beginning of a sea change in screen options.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Multiple digital greylevel versions, and color corrected versions available.

same price. about two extra days for me to make the adjustments, as far as delivery scheduling goes.

PS, we also sell 16 liter pails for power users.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I decided to try out the product, of course. I put up some material on the wall. I painted it. i dried it with a hair dryer. .I have a perfect screen. All in less than one hour.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
ken-iv been checking your websight,and now its gone..is there another?

tommy

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like my brother has been playing with the computer again...

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Hi Ken,

I emailed you over a week ago asking to buy a liter of your goo and your primer (answering your classified ad), and I never got a reply. Did you get my email?

At any rate, I am interested in a liter, which I assume will be enough to cover a 100" x 75" blackout material screen, I hope, along with a liter of your primer. I am using a Marquee 8500LC retubed with 9" LC tubes, and a gain of 1.4 would be just perfect. I am interested in getting the sharpest, most 3D like picture that I can with your goo, so please contact me with the details of how you would like this transaction handled. If you have trouble with my listed email here on the board, try me at [email protected] as an alternative.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
I'm excited about your product. I would love to have more info about what material you recommend we apply it to (actually paint on) for best results. Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes Bob. I received the e-mail, but was waiting until the product was ready to actually be shipped before responding. The product, in sale-ready trim, turned out to be better than I had hoped for. A 'very' small amount of water might be needed to be mixed into the screen paint for rolling,and just a little more than that for spraying. like a total of about 50ml per 1 liter of paint. Any downward curving of the gain by addition of the primer to the main mix will cause more water to be added to the whole mixture, as it is thick enough (the primer)to require spooning from the container. I'm not joking on that one. 50 ml or so (of primer to be added to the main mix) for getting to a gain of 1.35 or so.

Digital screen systems are a full go as well. if the response is good enough, I will definitely quit my job. we shall see.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the most beneficial part of the paint.

You get one can of primer. You learn how to paint on two different coats. Two layers. Or one if you are used to using it.

By the time you get to the third layering, you are applying your first coat of screenGoo. So, the chances of failure are diminished. by the learning curve being exercised on a earlier coating One which can be repaired, at that. The base primer can be sanded, if need be.

By the time you are at your most important coating, you are the most learned in what you are about to do.

It helps create a better screen

It is not as if the product needs protection due to difficulty of application, it's just that the fundamental order of application standards is well served.

You get to experiment with four screens.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ken,what is the gain of the digital version? Is it grey? I think you have posted that you do not have a digital projector but did you get your hands on one to test the final results. If yes what was the results. Be honest now.

By the way,best of luck.

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Quote:
GooSystems ScreenGoo paint is now ready to go. Rolls perfectly straight out of the can.

Yes Bob. I received the e-mail, but was waiting until the product was ready to actually be shipped before responding.
Well? I'm ready to go and you stated that ScreenGoo paint is now ready to go, so, as Mills Lane has so often stated "Let's get it on!" :)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
My local Glidden store has an excellent paint color matching service. I wonder, if they had a sample of this, how close they could come to duplicating it. The advantage would be their lower price of 21.99/gallon.

KBK, would you consider selling a quantity smaller than 1 liter? How much for one ounce? (Jeez. Sounds like a drug deal now.:))

Joe

·
Registered
220 Posts
Joe,

This isn't your average paint that you can take to a store and match its color. In fact you can get any shade of grey you want, so taking it to Glidden wouldn't help you at all. And I don't think you can just go ask for a 1.4 gain paint. Think of this more as a "screen in a can".

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I don't know, Matt. This guy at Glidden is very good. He's matched many paints for me exactly before. Even if he got it to 1.35 or 1.45, that might be a pretty good screen surface. I think it's worth a shot anyway. They do it for free, and hey - if it doesn't work out - you can still use it for ceiling paint.:)

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes. this is not simple house paint.... far, far from it. This is the kind of technology that a screen designer wishes they could have on their side. And, I am trying to do the impossible. I am trying to put it in a can and make it user friendly. Not an easy task by any means.

To quote myself from the 'custom screen paint" thread:

"You may have to go to a sprayed system, or use multiple thinned layers applied with a roller. If the paint is thin enough, and has the proper ingredients, then it will resettle after the inital application. So, the combination of drying characteristics, characteristics of the components themselves, the way they mix together with the chosen ingredients, the additives used to thin and change the mixture, the surface to which they are applied, the roller chosen, the ambient temp and humidity, the speed at which it is rolled, any additional rolling done before drying, and other things related, viscosity, ph level, conductivity, choice of surface to mate the paint to, it's dielectric behavior, etc, etc, all combine to create a finished product.

You begin to have an understanding of the fun I am having here........"

Not only are there too few facts in the world, there actually aren't any, as in reality (whatever that means)... the situation is entirely liquid.

We exist on a simple load line, hanging in space, anchored on each end by nothing... just small, self created 'facts'...that dissappear into the darkness.....

·
Registered
180 Posts
OK let me try this again. I see from your above thread that yes the paint you are calling digital is grey and it comes in many different shades and I assume gains. Are you making the paint for different types of projectors(DLP,D-ila,LCD) or is the goo I order determined by the projectors maximum light output,or lumens on screen or what. What do you need to know about my setup before you recommend what blend I should use. If my questions are way off base then I am lost and need help understanding what to order. Confusion is generally not good for sales but I did read where Milori was thinking about using confusion as a sales technique. (maybe not)

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Confusion as a sales technique? Huh? I'm confused. I hope he wasn't using me as an example.

Here's the story regarding digital projectors and grey screens.

It involves human nature, as a situational in this comedy.

People want quick, easy answers, for situations that really don't have any. They want simplicity in their lives,where there really isn't any. Take a look at the current political situation, if you want to know what I mean. People will believe anything,as long as it is easy to swallow,and lead to where they want the truth to be. Destroy reality, for a sense of comfort.

back to screens,and greys.

there is no simple grey screen formulation.

One:

you can choose a single grey type and tone. then, adjust your screen size, so the lumen count (at so-called black level) compliments the room lighting,and projector output per square foot of screen. So, the size is adjusted up-and-down..to get to the right perceived black level, to match that of what the screen-projector-room combination will produce. Simple.

Two:

Or, select screen size. then, take into account the lumen count of the projector, the ambient condition of lighting in the room, how the room behaves with projected light, the inherent black level of the projector in question,and then... get the appropriate grey level for that screen size-situation. The black level (or zero IRE condition) of the PJ in question is the key here, in combination with the light output thrown on the screen per sq.ft.

These two scenarios are created by the fact that the digital PJ's have a CONSTANT LIGHT OUTPUT. the bulb output NEVER VARIES. When this happens, the ends of the contrast range spectrum are LOCKED IN STONE. Absolutely un-movable. Period.

So, you have to get the EXACT right grey level screen, to maximize the contrast range you get from the PJ. If not, you are throwing Contrast range away..as far as the eye-brain mechanism perceives it, in conjunction with a given grey screen.

Thus.. it is easy to see, with the incredible multitude of projector designs out there..that there is NO perfect grey screen, period.

Each situation must be tuned for, and by, itself.

Which is why I wanted to market paint systems for self created grey screens. Different greys,and different COLOR CORRECTIONS, to allow for different bulb types... that color shift, the ENTIRE spectra. UHP bulbs are prime offenders, for instance. Color correction can be enabled in the PJ, which many are strating to do..but this limits contrast range and color gamut, in a device that has little room to shift within, in the first place. It is better to zero the color correction in the PJ, back to where it would be, if the bulb output spectra where perfect.. gain greater color gamut on the chip-electronics level..and correct at the screen, for whole spectra shift. Correct the bulb, and black level, at the screen.

The first grey screen color corrected for bulb type, was made for UHP bulb, single panel, bad red, DLP projectors, quite a while back. I sent it to Alan, here at the forum, just for fun. He loved it. He said it corrected the color beautifully, and the black level as well. It's too bad I was far from marketing it at the time.

So, multiple grey, color corrected mixes are clearly the way to go, once you understand what is going on with that digital PJ.

Is that a little more clear?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well. Here's the resonable questions that one would like to have answered:

If it's CRT... none of these digital questions matter

The CRT mixes are more like proper art, where the digital ones are more like

a science. Some things never change.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here we go.

I will target the specific projector for you, in a custom mix.

What kind of bulb type does the unit have?

what is the bulb wattage rating ?

what is the lument count?

what is the contrast ratio?

and what kind of screen size are you going to use?

Whast do you percieve the projector to have in the way of color balance in it's presentation?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

General questions:

What is Screen Goo, and what can it do for me?

ScreenGoo is a high grade screen design system, with metered applications systems, for both novice and professional. It can allow one to create virtually any projection surface desired.

What kind of quality does the product represent?

It represented within the highest level of product design for it's given market. It is unsurpassed in it's ability to have one state that they have never worked with a finer product of it's type. Not just one person, but every single person who has handled it.

What can I do with it?

With it one can design their own screen design, quality, size, complexity, etc. Unlimited amounts of variance is inherent within the design. Uselful, but, as well, metered amounts and premix allow for very repeatable results. For multiple commercial installations, for example, onsite recall of design parameters can replicate custom designs. Totally controllable screen gain. In any direction.

How easy is it to work with?

Prepare surface. Apply to surface. Air dry, or force dry. Your choice. You can roll, you can spray. You can do thick layers, you can do thin multiples... and for fun, gain adjust each. Rolling works fine. Rolling can provide excellent results.. well within the commercial grade of quality. Spraying works best, and produces very, very nice results.

How long does it take to dry?

ScreenGoo can take up to a month to dry properly. This is not a bad thing, it is a good thing. The quality of the designs means that it has some curing time..and is not dangerous to be around. Two weeks is about the shortest proper normal temp drying time you will ever see. You can watch the drying process. First it will be milky and glare and then... slowly clear.... and drop in gain, and achieve proper balance, according to the screen design in question.

What kind of surface should it be placed on?

A clean smooth surface, of color balanced and dedicated design. A old screen, cleaned, is useful for this purpose. Curtain black drop may be used, but is not really that mallable. ScreenGoo is very tolerant of handling when dried, depending on design.

How flexable is it?

ScreenGoo has a very high break point when stretched. It is at the 300% point in some designs. Most screens created will handle infinite fleaxability of the surface, without cracking, for a very extended period of time. Quite easliy beyond the expected lifespan of a given screen.

What kind of damage can it handle?

Depending on the design, it can handle large amounts of the kind of damage a average screen would get. Basically, a pretty decently tough surface, but one still has to treat it with respect. Many designs can be easily cleaned, with clean water and a rag.

How high quality of a surface can you create with it?

As high a surface quality that is available in the art of screen design. But not averaged in design, but perfected in design for your specific application. This sort of targeting is critical for getting the best from a given projection device.

Remember, a screen is fully half the viewing consideration. It is what you are looking at, not the projector. Please don't forget that. On site, it brings specific application synergy. An audiophile analogy, would be like it finally being possible to move the speakers around to better positions in the room.

What kinds of surfaces are available?

Right now?

ScreenGoo Primer

ScreenGoo CRT mix.

ScreenGoo Digital mix

ScreenGoo Digital Primer

What kinds of grey screens can be made?

Any kind you like, with any combination of specs. Any grey level %, and any gain. Soon, there will be different grey mixtures available, with specific targets in design. The greys are targeted neutral at this time. This will change and open up in variance, sepcifically on demand.

How many square feet of coverage can one expect from a given quantity?

As much as you think you can get... we will post average guidelines, but results wil always vary, and some are creative. The average for 1 liter of Primer, and Goo, is about 36-48 sq. ft.

What is the price of the product?

The Digital Grey, and CRT mix are each $100US per liter.

The primers are $20 per liter each. And , well, basically are essential, so, are kinda reccomended.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just did some more testing,and with a confident paint (ab)user, upwards of 80 sq. ft. can be created with useage of the right quality of non porus surface, when assembling a screen with the quantities of product offered.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.