1 - 20 of 1559 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
System coming soon for two HERO3+ Black Edition cameras:

Link

Quote:
Tandem housing holds two HERO3+ Black Edition cameras (sold separately)

Capture full-resolution videos and photos simultaneously with uncompromised image quality

Record synchronized 2D videos or photos to convert to 3D using free GoPro Studio editing software

Single interface control enables one camera to control the other’s modes and settings

Waterproof to 197’/60m

Integrated Mini USB port enables data offload, battery charging and live-feed video when used with the included Skeleton Backdoor

Includes two sets of Curved + Flat Adhesive Mounts for mounting to your gear

Includes two pairs of 3D anaglyph glasses for viewing your 3D content

Compatible with most GoPro mounts

Compatible with the GoPro App and Wi-Fi Remote (sold separately)

Is this what Cameron used for the "Barrel sequence" in "The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug" ?

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
Sounds good. I greet any new 3D camera announcement enthusiastically.

The glasses are just a little perk for viewing. The GoPro software handles a lot more than anaglyph.

·
Registered
10,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H  /t/1525206/gopro-3d-system-for-two-hero3-black-edition-cameras#post_24552776

System coming soon for two HERO3+ Black Edition cameras:

Link

Is this what Cameron used for the "Barrel sequence" in "The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug" ?

Do you have a link for this?

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark  /t/1525206/gopro-3d-system-for-two-hero3-black-edition-cameras#post_24562168

Do you have a link for this?
Just this link I posted in the 1st post showing the new "Dual HERO System"- (case) that is coming soon and listed currently as "Out of Stock"..

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
This is interesting!

I just bought a Hero 3 as a birthday gift for my SIL who wants to use it surfing. He is a competition class surfer and really wants to get some board location video of his surfing before he loses his skill due to age. I bought the "surfer" model and floaty back. This 3D housing is something I will keep in mind for the future if he uses the camera as expected.

I wonder if they will make a floatation accessory for this 3D kit as well. Haven't got it out of the box yet as his birthday is next week.

I'm worried about him losing the Go Pro if it should come off the surf board.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some good questions from gekke Henkie on another forum.
Quote:
First, keep in mind that two camera's ($400 each) and this case add up to $1,000 (excl. shipping, tax), while Fuji's W3 ($300) plus underwater case (about $650) will cost you about the same; both excluding red filters, etc.

Anyway, it seems that you cannot take single pictures with the GoPro. Instead it only takes pictures in time-lapse mode. My first question would be if you can turn this function on (let it take a few pictures), and turn it off again; and do that every time you'd like to have a (some) picture(s). Would that work-around be possible?

If so, after importing the synchronized picture(s) from the time-lapse into the GoPro Studio software, and finishing alignment and other stuff, is it possible to combine the two images into one 3D-picture and save it in the standard MPO-format?

Thirdly, after you combined two AVC-streams (let's say in 1080p24) in the software, can you package it in the same format as Blu-rays are coded, and save and burn the new MVC-stream on a BD-R?

I searched for these questions on their Forum, Support-pages, and Google, but couldn't find anything. Thanks for any help!
The system should be capable of immersive 3D videos in 1080P Full HD 3D with "constant frame rate H.264 mp4 and .mov formats", but what about MPO's or MVC packing capability for Blu-ray 3D?

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
I haven't worked much with the MPO format, but pairing 2x 24p left/right AVCHD streams as stereo in Vegas Pro is a snap. Then you can export to Blu-ray 3D at 24mbps, and if you're willing to settle for 2D menus, you can use DVD Architect to create a disc with menus. The video is still 3D, of course.

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
Edius and Premiere (with a 3D plug-in) can edit and export 3D clips, but you'll still need Vegas for the final output to disc. Cyberlink's PowerDirector can also export to a 3D compatible disc (with 3D menus), but there are some bitrate limitations.

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
I suspect the Go Pro system will need a little extra effort to pair in Vegas Pro. One of the clips will need to be inverted since the camera is installed upside down. But whatever you import to Vegas Pro and pair you can then render a frame or more to MPO output.

It seems the Go Pro system is better designed for the shooter in rough environments since you can remote control it with a wrist wifi transmitter also water proof. The Fuji does not have this capability, or does it?

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
The free Cineform Studio software that comes with the GoPro will do inversion/flipping/stereoscopic adjustment of the GoPro streams. It handles color correction, too. By the time you get to Vegas, you could have fully corrected clips to drop into the timeline. You can apply further correction/adjustments in Vegas if you need to, but the Cineform software is powerful.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
My concern about Gopro 3d for motion/action shooting is that it is inherently a shaky process. I have a hero 3+ black edition- non 3d -which I used on a helmet mount skiing this year. I took a lot of clips of my son and friends on a variety of runs. The camera does a superb job (I set it at 1080 60p) once you get used to it, but at times, some of the video can be difficult to watch without my inner ear wanting to revolt. I suspect that using it for 3d action video, in an activity which is inherently unsmooth, could be a real problem to watch.

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
Barry- I had a short discussion with the experts at NAB on this some time ago and their reminder was that the shooting style with these and other action cameras are not to use the video long form. You shoot everything and look for short clips you can use, then slomo is often preferred which will cover up the shake. I shoot stuff with my Pivot video glasses too and while the video quality is high, the shake and camera levelness often leaves lots to be desired.

Having said that, I love having the TD10 image stabilization for my car cam video. That is long form and compared to Go Pro for the same genre, the TD10 just performs so much better.

I'm sure I'll have to review this with my SIL so he understands, that with Go Pro, you have to shoot everything hunt for the good stuff. Use his little Canon camcorder for main non-action video. He is planning a visit to Disney in a week so I will advise him to save the Go Pro for the water splash rides and shoot most of the tour through the park with his Canon. He know how to edit video on his Mac but hates the process.

To keep the camera small and light, I doubt GoPro will add image optical stabilization until a new technology is invented. They need to keep the camera small. Besides, post image stabilization quality is improving all the time.

Joe- I understand there are all sorts of other tools for flipping etc, but I still avoid cluttering up my Vegas editing computer with lots of other software to do the same thing. My computer boots in 15 seconds and rarely crashes. Vegas crashing was a problem in ver 10 and first parts of Ver 11 but 12 release has been very stable. I can't say that for during the beta period. Wolfgang will confirm we beta testers had lots of problems with early beta 12 stability too. You never saw that, thank god!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis  /t/1525206/gopro-3d-system-for-two-hero3-black-edition-cameras#post_24624631

Barry- I had a short discussion with the experts at NAB on this some time ago and their reminder was that the shooting style with these and other action cameras are not to use the video long form. You shoot everything and look for short clips you can use, then slomo is often preferred which will cover up the shake. I shoot stuff with my Pivot video glasses too and while the video quality is high, the shake and camera levelness often leaves lots to be desired.

Having said that, I love having the TD10 image stabilization for my car cam video. That is long form and compared to Go Pro for the same genre, the TD10 just performs so much better.

I'm sure I'll have to review this with my SIL so he understands, that with Go Pro, you have to shoot everything hunt for the good stuff. Use his little Canon camcorder for main non-action video. He is planning a visit to Disney in a week so I will advise him to save the Go Pro for the water splash rides and shoot most of the tour through the park with his Canon. He know how to edit video on his Mac but hates the process.

To keep the camera small and light, I doubt GoPro will add image optical stabilization until a new technology is invented. They need to keep the camera small. Besides, post image stabilization quality is improving all the time.

Joe- I understand there are all sorts of other tools for flipping etc, but I still avoid cluttering up my Vegas editing computer with lots of other software to do the same thing. My computer boots in 15 seconds and rarely crashes. Vegas crashing was a problem in ver 10 and first parts of Ver 11 but 12 release has been very stable. I can't say that for during the beta period. Wolfgang will confirm we beta testers had lots of problems with early beta 12 stability too. You never saw that, thank god!

Don,

Thanks, as always for the great info. Your experience and incites are always appreciated. You and Joe Clark, what a great rescource.

As for the Gopro, as the ski season- such as it was in the Tahoe area
- went on, I got more adept at finding out what worked well and what didn't. You are absolutely spot on about these things not being too good for long form and I plan to cherry pick the clips accordingly. I probably won't get the dual cam 3d setup for this system, however. For underwater application, it might be pretty good for 3d, but I've already got that end pretty much covered by my current setup. I think your advice to your SIL for his Disney trip is spot on. I will say this for the current generation of these little cameras, at 1080 60p, the quality is quite remarkable.

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts
SIL was really excited with the Go Pro. He is very familiar with the FCS? mount and plans to install the sockets on the nose of his surf board(s) to reduce the risk of losing the camera. His brother works at a surf shop and will handle the install. Yes, plural. he has a half dozen surf boards. Gosh, come to think of it my daughter has 2 surf boards.

Well, I travel with 9 cameras so it must run in the family.
10 with the ipad but I never use it as a camera so it doesn't count.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis  /t/1525206/gopro-3d-system-for-two-hero3-black-edition-cameras#post_24630182

SIL was really excited with the Go Pro. He is very familiar with the FCS? mount and plans to install the sockets on the nose of his surf board(s) to reduce the risk of losing the camera. His brother works at a surf shop and will handle the install. Yes, plural. he has a half dozen surf boards. Gosh, come to think of it my daughter has 2 surf boards.

Well, I travel with 9 cameras so it must run in the family.
10 with the ipad but I never use it as a camera so it doesn't count.

This number of surfboards your SIL has, and the number of cameras you carry seems quite reasonable to me.
Of course, I'm somewhat limited with only 9 pairs of snow skies- LOL

My questions is, have you figured out what your 10th camera is going to be yet?

·
Premium Member
12,978 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
The free Cineform Studio software that comes with the GoPro will do inversion/flipping/stereoscopic adjustment of the GoPro streams. It handles color correction, too. By the time you get to Vegas, you could have fully corrected clips to drop into the timeline. You can apply further correction/adjustments in Vegas if you need to, but the Cineform software is powerful.
And converting you 3D videos to cineform format lets you change adjustments dynamically and the changes will be present at least in Premiere and After Effects so no extra rendering is needed.

I have been quite pleased with the Dual hero rig. Only major thing is that you can't lcd monitor under water, so you don't really know what you are shooting.

1 - 20 of 1559 Posts