AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I recently won one of these threw work and I was going to use it for making videos of my daughter, then I realized it has no back screen to see what your shooting but you can get an attachment to do so I think. So I need to know if one of these would be suitable for the job or should I sell it and buy a different one.

·
Registered
853 Posts
If you have a smart phone (iphone or android), you can install the gopro app which will let you see what the camera sees. Or you can buy the gopro lcd back. Either way, the gopro has a very wide angle lens which creates a fisheye effect that is unflattering to people. You won't get great footage of your daughter, but its better than having no video at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm trying to sell this one for around 450 what compact camcorder can I get for that, or should I just use my s4 for videos I'm not sure of the quality diffrence.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Maybe you mean in currency other than US but anyway, the US retail price of that unit is about $400 so you'd have to sell it for eighter at retail it's still unopened and your extremely lucky or no more than $350 to really have a chance of getting rid of it. Just doing some quick research on Graig's List, I see that someone is selling an unopened box for $300. On the other hand, you might have meant that after you sell it, you'll want to know what camcorder you can get for $450.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well here in Canada I've seen it from 430 to 500, but I would still like to know if its worth buying a camcorder now adays.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I don't have any experience with low end camcorders, but I'm sure that the $740 Panasonic X920M produces outstanding videos whose image quality will far surpass anything you can get with a cell phone, gorpro, or any less expensive camcorder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm yea probably great for professionals, but a waste for someone like me who dosent do any video editing.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
It would be better to buy some basic low cost camera for those few months, and then get the 750/950 when they come out. They will stand the test of time a hell of a lot better than the 920.

The 750 is apparently available now, and as I said, is a more advanced camera than the 920 even though it is cheaper.

Plus, the 950 is almost certainly going to be a 4K camera similar to the AX100, but probably at a much lower price point.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
This is footage from the Panasonic HC-W850, which is similar to the 750 except for the camera on the LCD. That should give you some idea of the quality to expect from the new cameras.

·
Registered
853 Posts
The HC-W750 and HC-W850 are 1 chip cameras. I haven't seen a test yet, but I would be shocked if the 3-chip X920M didn't provide superior image quality in all lighting conditions. Also the X920M is less expensive than the HC-W850, so there's no reason to get that camera.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The HC-W850 and 750 are the same camera, the only difference is that the 850 has an extra camera mounted on the side for PIP footage, that is where the extra cost comes from.

The sensors those cameras use are new, have a high resolution and use a new processor. I think it is likely that they are going to use that chip set in much the same way Sony used the RX10 chip set in the AX100 and CX900. So expect to see it used for 4K in a 950 and video capable point and shoots as well.

The 920 does not have good image quality. It is not that great in low light. Having three sensors does not mean that it has higher light sensitivity. Although it has high resolution the compression factor is too high to handle it cleanly, so you see a lot more artifacts in raw footage, such as smudging and smearing. The new Panasonic cameras shoot at up to 50 mbps. They probably also use advanced sampling/downsizing much like the Sony cameras do.

It would be interesting to see some raw footage from the new chip sets. There are only a few videos on Youtube, but they show the effects of heavy compression, so they are not fair assessments.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I tested the X920 and found it to have excellent image quality. I think it's a great deal at $730. If history is a guide, the single-chip V750/V850 will deliver around 650-700 lines of resolution, far below the resolution in Panasonic's high-end 3MOS camcorders.

The only review I found of the V850 sounds mixed
Quote:
Image quality is similarly relegated to late in the review, because we have come to expect the very best from Panasonic's high-end camcorders. The picture remains bright, saturated and noise free to satisfyingly low levels of illumination. If you analyse frames very closely side-by-side, there are some minor deficiencies compared to last year's flagship HC-X920, thanks to the latter's three sensors with the same specification individually as the HC-W850's one. But the HC-W850 still an excellent performer, and close to the best available in a consumer camcorder.
Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-hc-w850_Camcorder_review_panasonic-hc-w850-performance-and_Page-2

Hopefully camcorderinfo or slashcam.de will test the new Panasonic camcorders soon.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
They don't have the same sensors, or at least they are not covering the same area. The 920 has three sensors with an effective pixel area of 2.83 MP each, while the 750/850 have a single sensor with an effective pixel area of 6.03 MP. The sensors supposedly both contain ~12 MP, although it isn't clear what the extra pixels are being used for. Perhaps the image area on the 920 sensors is much smaller than on the 750

1080p requires approximately 2.07 MP, so the 750/850 should be able to achieve maximum effective resolution with ease, it is reading a lot more information than the typical camcorder of 2013..

In any event the maximum bit rate on the 750/850 is significantly higher than the 920, so the compression issues apparent on the 920 will be less noticeable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts