AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a GoPro HD Hero helmet cam in the near future, specifically; the Motosports version as I do a lot of riding on my sport bike and sport quad and want to capture some HD video.

Motorsports package Includes:

- HD Hero 1080 P 5 Megapixel Camera w/ 170º Wide Angle Lens

- 1 Rechargable 1100 mAh Lithium-Ion Battery

- 1 Shockproof/Waterproof Quick-Release Housing 180 feet/60 meters

- 3 Flat 3M Adhesive Mounts

- 2 Curved 3M Adhesive Mounts

- 2 Quick-release Buckles

- 1 Vertical Surface "J-Hook" Buckle

- 1 Suction Cup Mount

- 1 Three-way Pivoting Side Arm Assembly

- 1 USB Cable

- 1 Component Video HDTV Cable

- 1 Composite Video + Audio out cable

The package seems to include a lot of stuff that I may need. I also have 2 SDHC cards (32gb & 8gb for my Panny HDC600K).

My question is, are there any other "must haves" for this camcorder? Does it's battery life suck and an extra battery might be needed? If so, are the off-brand batteries o-k to use or should I stick with the more expensive GoPro brand of batteries? What about the LCD Backpac that is available, is it worth the extra $75? Is the chest mount harness needed and/or any good? Is there any sort of anti-fog filter/lens I need to get since this thing can go into water with the housing? Are there any other mounts/adaptors that the kit does not come with that are great to have?

I guess I'm really hoping someone with extensive experience with the GoPro cams can chime in so I don't miss anything important on these things.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
125 Posts
General camcorder advice

I dont have a GoPro but with any camcorder always have more memory and batteries with you then you plan to use. Usually sometime of screw on lens is nice to protect the camcorders lens from damage but it sounds like the housing you are getting will protect it. If its in a housing underwater and the housing fogs up a anti-fog lens isn't going to change anything since its behind the housing. A UV lens is nice to avoid some of the suns glare. As for off brand batteries thats a mixed bag, some work great some don't even work with the camcorder. Lens/housing cleaning stuff is always nice to have. If the lens gets dirty a anti-fog spray and a speacal soft towel(regular lens scratch the lens) to clean it.

Hope my general advice helps.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHott /forum/post/20869752

I'm looking to purchase a GoPro HD Hero helmet cam in the near future, specifically; the Motosports version as I do a lot of riding on my sport bike and sport quad and want to capture some HD video.

The package seems to include a lot of stuff that I may need. I also have 2 SDHC cards (32gb & 8gb for my Panny HDC600K).

My question is, are there any other "must haves" for this camcorder? Does it's battery life suck and an extra battery might be needed? If so, are the off-brand batteries o-k to use or should I stick with the more expensive GoPro brand of batteries? What about the LCD Backpac that is available, is it worth the extra $75? Is the chest mount harness needed and/or any good? Is there any sort of anti-fog filter/lens I need to get since this thing can go into water with the housing? Are there any other mounts/adaptors that the kit does not come with that are great to have?

I guess I'm really hoping someone with extensive experience with the GoPro cams can chime in so I don't miss anything important on these things.

Thanks for any help!

I had a GoPro Motorsports HD Hero and I lent it out to a friend who trashed it doing some extreme stuff.

Anyway changing the battery is a frigging nightmare. They do make a battery bacpac but it adds bulk to the camera. If you do buy an extra battery use one of those cheapie plastic knives from macdonalds to pry out the battery that's in there.

You will end up wishing you had more mounts as the mounts can come loose.

The LCD bacpac is a must buy as it allows you to frame your shot rather than guess where the camera is pointed.

http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-ALCDB-00...4536996&sr=1-1

Also keep in mind that the GoPro is very fussy with memory cards and the cheap Kingston cards work very well with it and are reccomended by GoPro.

By all means try yours out and see if they work but don't be too surprised if they don't.

GoPro will just tell you to buy Kingston SD cards or another one like Patriot. I had the Kingston and it worked fine.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHott /forum/post/20869752

Thanks for any help!

I just got one and have played with it a little bit. Battery last about 2 hours for 1080 video. Mabey longer at lower definition. Well over 2.5 hrs with it set to take a pic every 5 seconds. Some have said up to 4 hrs in that mode. GoPro says you can only use their batt. and it is in there very tight.

The camera has a very wide angle of view so even if your aim is off a little it still gets what you want in view. LCD backpack is probably not worth it depending on what you need it for. I hear it uses more battery power faster so if it is used, just use it for setting up shots. I have not needed it but it would be nice to have.

GoPro sells reusable anti fog inserts. Probably will be required for colder climates or cold water because the camera gets a little warm inside the case.
http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/anti-fog-inserts/

Also if you plan on using it in the water you should get the floaty backdoor or tether the camera somehow (even if not in the water). Many have complained that the mounts break or the suction cup falls off.
http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/floaty-backdoor/

I bought the helmet version because it was on sale and then bought the suction cup and the handle bar /seat mount. Might buy the roll bar mount. I didn't get the chest mount but some people like it. Again I guess it depends on what you are using it for.

I got a class 6 sandisk card and it works fine. Keep in mind that 10 min of HD video = about 1GB so the cards will fill up fast. In 2 hrs I had 14GB. The camera makes files at 3.66GB if filming continuously.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.