AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally picked up the HV20. So far it is great. HD is much different then SD to film and edit. The HV20 has tons of potential for such a small camera. Only thing I find disappointing is the OIS. I do in car videos and both my SD cameras (Panasonic GS250 and an older JVC) do much better dealing with vibrations. The HV20's video is pretty much useless. I have to try and put some dampening on the mount and see if it works. I will post up a sample when I can.

Here are some short clips from the day I got the camera. I put up both Flash and divx videos for viewing.

http://www.socalspeedzone.com/HD/index.html

·
Banned
5,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsz /forum/post/0

Only thing I find disappointing is the OIS. I do in car videos and both my SD cameras (Panasonic GS250 and an older JVC) do much better dealing with vibrations. The HV20's video is pretty much useless. I have to try and put some dampening on the mount and see if it works.

I'm sorry to hear this. I do a lot of handheld shooting. How is the OIS for handheld. I remember a Canon 8mm (tape) camera from about 15 years ago that did a beautiful job with stabilization. It was a little like a gyro or "floating" effect.

Are you mounting the camera directly to the car or are you holding it?

I might have to reconsider getting this camera. I really want HD but I need smooth handheld shots.

·
Registered
33,823 Posts
The OIS for handheld shooting (outside of an automotive environment) is excellent. I haven't tried it in a car, but I think I've seen someone else comment that it was tough to hold steady without a mount. But then again I've tried holding my Sony VX2000 steady in a moving car and that wasn't easy either.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano /forum/post/0

How is the OIS for handheld.

Are you mounting the camera directly to the car or are you holding it?

I might have to reconsider getting this camera. I really want HD but I need smooth handheld shots.

Handheld is fine, as good as the other cameras I have, no problem there.

The camera is mounted inside the car to a mount in place of the headrest. My car is a 350Z so it gets a lot of vibration. I just think the OIS does not handle that type of vibration very well.

·
Banned
5,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsz /forum/post/0

Handheld is fine, as good as the other cameras I have, no problem there.

The camera is mounted inside the car to a mount in place of the headrest. My car is a 350Z so it gets a lot of vibration. I just think the OIS does not handle that type of vibration very well.

I see. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
AWESOME VIDEOS, THANKS!! Nice to see the HV-20 in action.

You think the OIS on the HV-20 is bad??? LOL!! You ought to try the JVC GZ-HD7 and then you'd think the OIS on the HV-20 was engineered by NASA!!

Honestly, the OIS on the HV-20 is awesome compared to other camcorders. I have heard that Panasonic is the king of OIS, but I've only tried Sony, Canon, and JVC.

Maybe your camera is defective or your doing something wrong. I had to return my JVC GZ-HD7 because it's OIS did not work at all. I tried the HV-20 and it's OIS rocks as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is video from inside my car. I am going to try and add some rubber or foam to see if I can isolate the camera. I do not think there is something wrong with the OIS as all my hand held footage looks fine. I think that part of the problem might be HD in general. With so much more resolution, everything is magnified.

http://www.socalspeedzone.com/incartest/incartest.html

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
plus you blew past that 40mph speed limit

I've got some pretty good footage from inside my 65 Chevy truck, with my son holding a HV10 on a steady tracker.

Anybody know where I can post it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross /forum/post/0

Hey scsz, get a new pair of shocks and the video will be smooth as silk!

Don't want my Z to drive like a Cadillac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst /forum/post/0

plus you blew past that 40mph speed limit

Yep

Quote:

I've got some pretty good footage from inside my 65 Chevy truck, with my son holding a HV10 on a steady tracker.

Anybody know where I can post it?

That would be cool to see. Post it in HD or SD?

For comparison here are videos I took with my SD cameras.
http://www.socalspeedzone.com/pages/...107/index.html

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:

HD all the way!!

The only place I have found so far for hosting/stream HD quality video is http://stage6.divx.com/ . I have found that DivX works good for the HD videos, much better then Flash. I have my own server so I can do my own. If you want I can put yours up on my server.

Here is video of a local car show this past weekend that I taped with the HV20.

http://www.socalspeedzone.com/HD/scs052007HD.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.