AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went shopping tonight to listen to some bookshelf speakers for my office theatre setup and ended up coming home with a new Onkyo TX-SR506. It's not the greatest and doesn't have all the features of the new models, but I walked out of the store with it for under 2 bills. I'm not going to complain too much.

By spending around $400 less than what I had anticipated on the receiver, that free'd up some more money for higher quality speakers. So I started looking at one of the other choices I had looked at, which was Axiom audio. The set up I am looking at is this,

M22v2 book shelves for the front

VP150 for the center

QS4's for the surrounds.

I'll be staying with a 5.1 setup since that's all my room will permit and I'm keeping the powered sub I have and saving for a better one.

The main question I have is on the ohm ratings of the speakers. The M22's and the QS4's have an 8ohm rating. The VP150 has a 6 ohm rating. The 506 is stable at both ohm ratings, but I want to know if am going to damage the amp section by running the mismatched ohms on the speakers?

My second question is, Does this sound like a pretty reasonable setup for listening to music, playing some games, and occasionally watching some movies?

Brent

·
Registered
720 Posts
How many movies you plan on watching in your office? I ask because if you're not going to watch too many do you really need 5.1? If it is mostly for music perhaps a nice 2 channel setup would be better.? As for the mix and match ohms there should be no issue.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbare /forum/post/17007278

How many movies you plan on watching in your office? I ask because if you're not going to watch too many do you really need 5.1? If it is mostly for music perhaps a nice 2 channel setup would be better.? As for the mix and match ohms there should be no issue.

I'm wanting a 5.1 setup right off the bat due to the fact that a lot of the games I play are encoded in 5.1. I like hearing everything, what can I say!? I may also watch more movies in there once I upgrade to a bigger monitor. The 23" isn't too bad for gaming because I don't mind being that close to it to play. I don't like being that close for movies though. I do plan on upgrading to a bigger tv over the next years time. I'm just wanting to get the audio part set up and done, before I go upgrading the tv.

·
Registered
720 Posts
So be it, it is your space to enjoy. Just thinking you could get better speakers if you really didn't need a 5.1. Otherwise sure it sounds like a decent office setup, and like I already posted as long as the amps are stable to 6 ohm loads mixing the two should be no problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.