AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i heard alot about this A vs C vs S panels on Samsung TVs. I had an "A" panel LN46A530, and exchanged it for an open-box "S" panel (returned item). However, and I am not 100% sure about this, but it seemed my "A" panel was actually better. Its hard to to be positive about this because i don't have the both of them side-by-side to compare. But just from memory, it seems that i was happier with the picture of the returned "A" panel. I know it may be the picture settings, but i have tried everything.

Another thing i notice now, is that the off-angle viewing is HORRIBLE! And i mean that if i am sitting about 8 ft away, dead center, and move about 2-3 feet to the side, the contrast and colors are gone. Is this the same issue that other owners have? Not sure if i should have even returned my new TV and gotten a open box one. Also, could there be something wrong with the TV? Is there any way a person can abuse a TV and effect its PQ in a matter of 30 days? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You should have kept the A panel. I had both (A and S) and IMO A panel are not that bad. This damn Samsung panel crap is like the russian roulette, this time you hit the bullet!

But again 99% of potential LCD buyer dont know about this and Samsung knows it!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I hate panel lotteries. They should be illegal. You end up in a position that one thing gets reviewed and different things get sold.

Though, one persons perfect viewing angle experience can be someone elses intolerable.

I can't use PVA (samsung makes PVA) computer monitors because the viewing angle shift drives me nuts, I have an NEC 2490uxi which has viewing angles near CRT levels.

When I went a recent look at LCD TVs. The best viewing angles I saw were on another IPS screen. The Panasonic TC-37LZ85.

The worst were Sharp Aquos (yet I see folks talk about perfect viewing angles... go figure).

The Sony/Samsungs were somewhere in the middle.

Maybe Plasmas are the way to go here...

·
Registered
870 Posts
Quality control on the elites is very good. The thread group are having very good sucess with running the same calibration settings even, (not pro calibrated, just settings)

It is rare that a panel has any kind of problem since these 9gs, and the repeatability of making perfect panels is risk free. If it works when you turn it on, it is perfect 99% of the time. The other 1% get replacements free.

The problems, if some want to call them problems, are at least consitent with all the panels, so you do get exactly what you pay for every time. I just set up isf mode for auto,day, night, and I'd estimate a 20% improvement in an allready very good picture. It like nothing I have ever seen in a 60" picture.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
PEOPLE, if you don't like the tv then take it back, regardless of the letter on the sticker. If you're happy with it keep it, regardless of the letter on the sticker, simple enough. These mushrooming panel theories have people second guess a purchase, many times before they even receive the TV. One mans A panel might be another mans Z, etc and there is a lot more to it than the letter on a sticker. FORGET About the letter or comparisons between them.

Samsung backs the set regardless so again if you like it, keep it. If you don't, take it back. Or take a set you like back based on the letter and get one you might not like as well with the correct letter on the sticker.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Whats funny is that all these people believe this panel letter thing is 100% fact when it has yet to be proven by anyone that its true. I have it from what I consider to be reliable enough sources that all the panels on Samsung TV's 40" and larger are all made by Samsung so they are all "S" panels. The letter on the back sticker means nothing. If we want to compare panel numbers, lets all go into the service menu and post up what it says under Panel Type.

·
Registered
371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragHD /forum/post/15417198

Whats funny is that all these people believe this panel letter thing is 100% fact when it has yet to be proven by anyone that its true. I have it from what I consider to be reliable enough sources that all the panels on Samsung TV's 40" and larger are all made by Samsung so they are all "S" panels. The letter on the back sticker means nothing. If we want to compare panel numbers, lets all go into the service menu and post up what it says under Panel Type.

What do you expect, they read it on the internet...so it must be true.

BTW, the panels that Best Buy sources are better than the Circuit City ones (which is why they're going out of business because they bought all these inferior panels), but not as good as the Sears ones because they get them directly from Samsung in Japan, not Mexico. And I also know that if you have a set from Osaka, then Ichiro-san (Samsung engineer) made that set exclusively, so you're good...and he puts scratch n sniff stickers on the ones he manufactures.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefav1 /forum/post/15418701

BTW, the panels that Best Buy sources are better than the Circuit City ones (which is why they're going out of business because they bought all these inferior panels), but not as good as the Sears ones because they get them directly from Samsung in Japan, not Mexico. And I also know that if you have a set from Osaka, then Ichiro-san (Samsung engineer) made that set exclusively, so you're good...and he puts scratch n sniff stickers on the ones he manufactures.

Yeah like...smell this!

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefav1 /forum/post/15418701

Haha nice!

·
Registered
130 Posts

So, i heard alot about this A vs C vs S panels on Samsung TVs. I had an "A" panel LN46A530, and exchanged it for an open-box "S" panel (returned item). However, and I am not 100% sure about this, but it seemed my "A" panel was actually better. Its hard to to be positive about this because i don't have the both of them side-by-side to compare. But just from memory, it seems that i was happier with the picture of the returned "A" panel. I know it may be the picture settings, but i have tried everything.

Another thing i notice now, is that the off-angle viewing is HORRIBLE! And i mean that if i am sitting about 8 ft away, dead center, and move about 2-3 feet to the side, the contrast and colors are gone. Is this the same issue that other owners have? Not sure if i should have even returned my new TV and gotten a open box one. Also, could there be something wrong with the TV? Is there any way a person can abuse a TV and effect its PQ in a matter of 30 days? Any advice would be great. Thanks.[/QUOTE

i took my first one back it had the same viewing angle as yours ..the second A panel plays alot better my range is 8 feet back at 8 feet side to side much better but not perfect

·
Registered
161 Posts
I dont know why some people believe that the different letters on the panels means one is better than the other. I have the exact tv as my cousin. We both have the 52 inch 6 series tv. Mine is an S panel, and his is an A panel. I didn't want to look at it at first, but after reading some post on this board about the quality of the different panels I had to take a look. Well they both look the same to me. His is sitting at his dental office, and mines is in my living room. I think the different panels just mean where they was made in production. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmaster221 /forum/post/15419172

if i take this one back I'll get a SONY

samsung NEEDS TO BE MORE Consistent in their Quality control

You think Sony is any better with QC? haha reality check for you, they have the same problems Samsung does, even on their top XBR's mmm clouding and flashlighting.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.