AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just gave me a WinTV-D card that he wasn't using. I've done some research on the web and the forum here, and it seems like there really isn't that much you can do with this card. I suppose that what I'd like to use it for is for PVRing HD (OTA) and SD (cable). It's not clear to me what software, if any, will let me use this card for this purpose. Hauppauge's WinTV-Scheduler? Intervideo's WinDVR? Any tips for what software might generally be useful with this card would be great, too.

FWIW, I'm not too concerned with image quality. What would be great is if I could capture directly into VCD-compatible MPEG 1, but I don't think that's going to happen on my P3 1Ghz without dedicated HW encoding, which probably would be incompatible with the WinTV-D, anyway. (Am I the only person to whom it seems like the various kinds of codec standards (avi, directshow, dedicated app (like Premiere, etc.) are an absolutely nightmare for the consumer?)

I appreciate any tips anyone can give me for making productive use of this card.

·
Registered
256 Posts
You can use it for viewing local HDTV channels instead of buying a new $3000 TV. We have 9 new channels so far in the Phoenix area and they all come in perfectly even though I'm over 30 miles from the transmitter.

It will also record NTSC video and stereo sound with video capture, such as recording a VHS video tape to record on a videoCD and that's about all.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Toss it in the trash and get a real HDTV card. It's HDTV stream capture capabilities are poor at best. I found it to insert a lot of glitches into the transport files.

It will however let you capture via the BT848 chip on the card via analog. I don't know what software will let you do that on a timed function however.

Stereodude

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.