AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. This will be my first post in this forum, and hereby I extend a plead for help

I own the DM 685 loudspeakers from Bowers & Wilkins, and utilize the DAC Magic from Cambridge as my source, and upsampling music from a computer HDD. My room is roughly 16 by 10 feet.

I have owned a Cambridge amplifier previously, but I dont think I got the fullest out of my 685's by using it, so it is now beeing sold.

So does anyone of you have these loudspeakers, and what electronic equipment do you use with them (mainly amplifiers)?

Thank you for any answers and recommendations!

-exntric

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
A local cafe had these B&W's paired with an Onkyo A9555. Decent sound but could be better. I'd probably pair them with a NAD BEE line integrated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been considering the BEE line for some time now, but I am not sure which one of them is powerful enough to drive them optimally. I recently had the C372 from the previous series on hand, but someone scooped it up in front of my nose

Any other brands that would sound good with the 685's?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Well I use a Emotiva XPA-5 with my 685's and with a good recording I literally have to pick my jaw off the ground I can't believe the sound that comes out of these little suckers. Although I believe the amp itself is a fairly neutral amp and doesn't add much of any color to the sound of your pre/pro.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I had B&W 603S3 for 4 years and never really satisfy with the performance until last week. Why? Cause I just got an XPA-5. Those baby really need high clean power to really open up the sound stage and sing. I have try few amp previously mostly NAD, Marantz all with less 120watts per channel and never really open up the sound.

·
Registered
584 Posts
For amps, I recommend you look into Rotel. Something like an RB-1070 or RB-1080 will have tons of current to drive your 685s. Rotel tends to be conservative on their power rating as well, so no worries about them under-specifying the output.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts