AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need an antenna recommendation. Been having some multipath issues (I think - signal strength is 70% or better) that are causing reception problems. All the local digital transmitters are located in two bunches, about 80 degrees apart, distance about 30-40 miles for both locations. I currently have a omnidirectional Winegard MS-2000 amplified disk antenna on the roof and it ain't cuttin' it.

How would a Channelmaster 4221 4-bay antenna work for me? I can't use a rotor so I've got to set it in one position and leave it there. Is it so directional that if I point it at one set of stations, it wouldn't pick up the others that are 80 degrees apart? Would you point it right smack dab between the two, perhaps? And could I use my current amplifier; are they all the same?

Oh, and anyone know the difference between the CM 4221 and the 3021 which seem to have identical specs?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
While I am sorry that I cant give info on CM antennas (have not used them) I can tell you that highly directional antenna are the best way to beat multipath.

Why can you not use a rotator?? Is your antenna in the attic??

I was told by all the "experts" in the area where I live to not get a rotator. Since all but one of my stations are in the same direction I was advised to get what is called a "jointenna" and use a second antenna for the single station.

I am no doing something similar to that, but I really wish I had a rotator now. I would make things like reaiming the antenna much easier.

·
Registered
28,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
C'mon, anybody else have any experience with these antennas that could give me some advice?? I don't want to mount a rotator as it's just another level of complexity that hopefully I don't need.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
The 3021 is reported to have about a 60 degree spread, but if your stations are strong, you might be OK. The 3021 is only around $25 online. Probably worth a try. I'd point the antenna halfway between the two locations.

The other option would be to hook up two separate antennas, and use an A/B switchbox to select between them

4221 and 3021 are the same antenna.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you decide that you need two antennas, I would reccommend two separate down leads to the A/B box. Trying to join two UHF antennas could introduce multi-path back into your system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There is nothing wrong with that CM antenna. (you didn't mention how far you are from the station antennas). I have that CM antenna and it worked fine for me but I also saw some multipath problems on occasion due to the wide (60 degree) collection of that antenna. I switched to a yagi and eliminated the multipath problem (a cheap RS one but it works great). The only problem is you then need to point it more directly towards your target so I got a rotor. That said...many of my stations are in the same "general" direction and I can get 4 out of about 7 without moving the antenna at all. With the CM antenna I could pick-up 5 of the 7 but I got more multipath signal fluctuation. What type of distance are you from the towers?

--Bill

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by archiguy
C'mon, anybody else have any experience with these antennas that could give me some advice?? I don't want to mount a rotator as it's just another level of complexity that hopefully I don't need.
The real reason archi doesn't want a rotor is because having to swing something to the right would just sicken him beyond belief. :D Sorry archi, just couldn't keep it inside. :D

Seriously though, I was told I didn't need a rotor but decided to get one anyway and I'm damn glad I did as I use it all the time. It's a pretty easy setup for somebody that knows how.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I agree with sangs, the installation of a rotor is very easy. I installed a rotor on my existing mast in under 90 minutes. I went with the Channel Master rotor with the remote - I highly recommend you get one that has a remote.

My stations are all in the same direction, but I was getting multi-path on ABC. Putting up a CM 4248 yagi style with the rotor cured my problems.

Tom

·
Registered
50 Posts
If your going to spend your valuable time doing this. The cost of the Antenna is minimal. The 4248 Yagi 99 out of 100 times far outperforms the 4228 or 4221 and especially with multipath problems. Use the CM rotor so you can adjust it when you feel like it. They(4248) cost more to ship as they are one piece thats the only drawback.

·
Registered
28,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all that replied! My "dish farm" is on top of the storage shed next to my townhouse. I don't want a rotor system because something has to power it (unless you can get them battery powered...?), and I'd probably have to widen the hole through the wall that the two coax cables (from my satellite dishes and the antenna itself) go through to get a power cable through. Can't plug it into the outside power outlet because when the cover is lifted and it rains, the GFI circuit trips! (Although as Sangs mentioned, if I did get a rotor, I'd have to make sure it only rotated left!):D

Anyway, I've been hoping that there would be an antenna out there that would handle the near-90 degree separation between my two groups of stations and still be multi-path resistant. The distance from me to all the transmitters is less than 40 miles, over mostly flat terrain. I started having multipath problems when they built a new high-rise hotel with a large flat surface (parallel, as luck would have it) in downtown Charlotte, about 12 miles away but in a direct line of sight between me and one group of transmitters. The Winegard omnidirectional I've been using is pretty lame-o. The CM 4228 seems too big, seemed like the 4221 would be a better bet. Heck, it's cheap, so I might try it just to see if it works better than the Winegard.

Any recommendations on where to order these things?

·
Registered
28,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gads, there's a lot of rotor-love on this forum! I'd have to run the dad-gum power line for the thing, but on the plus side, I probably wouldn't need to amplify it if it pointed directly at the transmitters. Not that that's a terribly big deal since the amplifier is on the inside, but still....

AntennaDude, I think the 4248 Yagi is too big. Goodness gracious, it's almost 7 feet long! And, since it would overlap the "airspace" of my dishes, it might interfere with satellite reception. Better stick with the "flat, vertical" ones like the 4228/4221.

What I really need is a multidirectional antenna which would "point" to both locations that are 90 degrees apart. Someone should make one that has two elements that would be independently adjustable, so you could "customize" it for any similar situation. I freely give that million dollar idea to whoever will make one! :D And if somebody already does, where can I find one?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by archiguy

AntennaDude, I think the 4248 Yagi is too big. Goodness gracious, it's almost 7 feet long! And, since it would overlap the "airspace" of my dishes, it might interfere with satellite reception. Better stick with the "flat, vertical" ones like the 4228/4221.

What I really need is a multidirectional antenna which would "point" to both locations that are 90 degrees apart. Someone should make one that has two elements that would be independently adjustable, so you could "customize" it for any similar situation. I freely give that million dollar idea to whoever will make one! :D And if somebody already does, where can I find one?
Yea, I gots the 4248 and that baby is BIG , it don't work much better than this little baby here

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D2160

Of course I would say stay away from the flat BBQ grill antenna's cause they ain't to good at handlin multipath . I had one, but the multipath was all up in my place.

Go to lowes and get you a Rotor and rotor wire, and then head to Ratshack for the mini yagi and you should be set. You right ,we love us some rotors round here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.